G has a mind of it's own... Need help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Ohio G Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G has a mind of it's own... Need help!

***Mods feel free to move this if you think it should be***

Ok, so I bought my G in August used and its been great. I have no complaints. on Monday I turn the car on and my AWD light is on and stays on. I take the car to the dealership and they call because of some issues they were having with the ALDL diagnostic port. They said the car alot of aftermarket wiring around there and they have no idea what it is or what it's for. Long story short they fix the AWD issues, i drive the car home and start washing it. While i was cleaning I notice a mysterious toggle switch near the hood release on the driver side kick plate. It's positioned on and i didn't change it. I finish washing and go inside while hitting the lock button on my factory fob twice... parking lights flash and then the corners which i have never seen it do... then the car tries to start up!! The car turns over for a second then dies, and it keeps trying to start until i hit the unlock which cant be healthy. I realized pretty quick that mysterious switch must have something to do with that. I flipped it off tried to start the car and it wouldn't turn over!

Now I would be pretty happy to have a remote starter that utilizes the factory remote but at this point it's a liability. I don't know how to use it or why it's not actually starting the car. Anyone know of a system that uses the factory remote so I can try to identify what's in their? Suggestions on where to start to diagnose this or suggestions of a reputable shop in NE Ohio to take it. I either want it removed or figure out how to use it and fix it. Sorry for the long post ... any help would be appreciated... Thanks

Old 04-17-2009, 03:00 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
It sounds like the remote starter doesn't have a key with transponder installed with it...

this would be the reason that it tries to start but the ECM isn't sending it any gas.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:31 AM
Ohio G Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I recently installed a DD and sub/amp so I basically had most of the panels around that area off. Without wasting a lot of time I tried to trace some of the wires and didn't see anything. Do you have any idea where the transponder might be mounted under the dash? Does anyone know which factory remote integrated remotes are available?