G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

6MT Parking Brake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 05:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't own a m/t G but for my honda I pulled the brake and also put the gear in Reverse. I've always been told that if the brakes doesn't hold it and the gear takes over, it would put stress on the gear, thus I never shift to 1st with hand brake. I figured 1st and 2nd is the most frequently used and I used reverse the least so I rather sacrifice reverse. Is this true or am I getting false information?

Old 09-26-2005, 05:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i had to pull mine all the way up too when visiting family in LA (steep hills) and it did really do the job. So i had the dealer adjust it now. I now feel good tension with in half way up.

Old 09-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really have to crank mine to keep it from rolling.

Old 09-26-2005, 06:34 PM
How long and how many miles do u have on your car? I had the same problem when i just got my 6mt coupe. brought it to the dealer and they said that i needed to pull harder. so basically... pull normally until it stops, then pull hard for one more click. that usually works, and for more safety, put it into first. right now, i've had my car for about 3 months now, and it seems like i don't have to pull as hard as i used to. i guess its needs to be "broken in"

Old 09-26-2005, 08:29 PM
Well, I don't have any problem with my G's parking brake. I pull it the same way and amount I feel is "normal" and it holds the car, even on an incline.

In fact, today I got in the car to start it. I had parked it in gear without the brake, so as soon as I pushed in the clutch, it started to roll down the driveway. I quickly pulled the e-brake (the normal amount, about 4-5 clicks) and it stopped and held the car while I started it.

No e-brake complaint here.

Old 09-26-2005, 10:50 PM
Folks when parking an automobile (any car) with a manual transmission it should always be parked in gear. If on level pavement or pointed downhill, it should be left in reverse, if pointed uphill, leave it in first.

Think about this, how do you park an Automatic Transmission car? You put it in park (locks the transmission) and set the parking brake. The Manual is the same way, you lock the transmission by putting it in gear, and then you set the parking brake. This is basic knowledge guys. Driving 101. I don't know why so many people leave Manuals in neutral and expect the parking brake to hold the car. It's not designed for that. When you park any vehicle - Lock the Transmission - Then set the Parking Brake. The car will then not move, you can take that to the bank.

Lou

Last edited by lowrider; 09-26-2005 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by lowrider
Folks when parking an automobile (any car) with a manual transmission it should always be parked in gear. If on level pavement or pointed downhill, it should be left in reverse, if pointed uphill, leave it in first.

Think about this, how do you park an Automatic Transmission car? You put it in park (locks the transmission) and set the parking brake. The Manual is the same way, you lock the transmission by putting it in gear, and then you set the parking brake. This is basic knowledge guys. Driving 101. I don't know why so many people leave Manuals in neutral and expect the parking brake to hold the car. It's not designed for that. When you park any vehicle - Lock the Transmission - Then set the Parking Brake. The car will then not move, you can take that to the bank.

Lou
Most of us do that but sometimes we step out of the vehicle with it still running. The parking brake IS designed to hold the car. That's what it is - a brake.

Old 09-27-2005, 01:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree the brake is a bit firm when new, but just pull it up a few clicks. Leave it in gear and see how much power it needs to budge(I don't mean rev the $hit out of it either), if it doesn't budge its good.

When my car was new, I opened up to the garage to get something from the house and then leave. I did not pull the ebrake up enough, the car rolled down across a street into a parking space. I crapped my pants and thought someone stole my car. Then I realized it had rolled down into a parking space and the ebrake was on just enough it did not hit the wall behind it.

Old 09-27-2005, 08:52 AM
It works on my machine
No problems here, I pull the e-brake up until it stops, never really counted how many "clicks" it took. But like others said I usually put the car in reverse when parked.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:40 PM
e-brake adjustment

does anyone know how to adjust the e-brake??? My e-brake used to tighten up at about 6 clicks (like the manual says), but after a few attempts at hand-brake turns it loosened up to 11 clicks. I want to know how to tighten it up again. There are what looks like nuts on either side to adjust the tension.

Last edited by eaurouge; 04-12-2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Parking Brake adjustment

I found this on the g35frenzy site:

http://www.g35frenzy.com/downloads/2...anual/F/pb.pdf

Old 04-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I have never noticed it, but the biggest hill we have here is the curb of the street.

Old 04-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Spill9t9
I just had the rear brakes (pads and rotors) replaced under warrenty - and when I picked the car up had the same problem with the parking brake - I pulled up as hard as possible - car still rolled back (it worked great prior to getting the breaks done). I called the dealership on this - seems that checking the parking break isn't part of the warrenty replacement checklist - funny how if you were to take the car in to be safety'd it wouldn't pass if the parking break didn't work - but when they change brakes they don't check it??? The dealership told me that the parking break is a different system then the normal breaks...I find that hard to understand...

Anyways - the car is going back tomorrow to get checked out...I'll let you'all know what I'm told.
I had the same problem before with my brake. It took 2-3 visits for the dealership to finally do something. Our cars do not use the calipers to stop the car. There is an inner set of pads (like drum brakes) that can be adjusted when the rotors are removed (I believe). I was not aware of this and had used my hand brake a couple of times when I saw highway patrol clocking me (hand brake = no brake light, less noticable slow down). It turns out my wife's '01 Acura CL is the same. I had it fixed on my last brake change and now it's fine. Adjusting by cable is usually for older stretched cables.

BTW, I might have been dumb for doing so, but you guys might not want to use ur hand brake to slow you down.

Old 04-16-2006, 09:09 PM
Pulled all the way up. Sometimes the parking brake need adjustment on some cars. I would look into getting it re-adjusted. If you ever need to park on a steep hill or driveway you will regret it if you don't have it looked at.

Old 04-17-2006, 01:22 AM
Always pull your brake up as high as possible without really exherting yourself. You should always pull nice and hard though, more than 3-5 clicks past hard resistance.

sounds like your error.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 6MT Parking Brake