G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

My navi works occasionally, but not usually

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2009 | 12:14 PM
|
My navi works occasionally, but not usually

When I bought the car I though the navi was dead. Even the DVD had no power and wouldn't eject the disc. I took it to the dealer who said they couldn't even connect to the navi system, so they said it was likely a bad board and would cost $3000 to replace. I bought a TomTom instead.

The existing screen is a decent place to stick the TomTom, so one day I pop up the screen and lo and behold the Infiniti navigation starts up! It kept working after stopping for gas and after picking up my son (each stop under 10 minutes). Later that evening it was dead again.

Every time I get in the car I pop up the screen to see if it's working and it's worked twice more. Each time it has worked has been a warm day and after work. Once it's on it stays on; no bumps or anything will turn it off while running. If it doesn't come on right away when I start the car it won't come on at all for that trip.

I can speculate that there might be something loose that only affects startup, so maybe a power-on signal. Maybe warm weather makes it easier for the loose contacts to touch.

I'm really hoping somebody here has had something similar happen to them. I plan on taking off parts of the dashboard this weekend to see if there is any obvious wiring problem that's easy to reach, but after that I have no ideas.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 04-24-2009 | 12:29 PM
best plan of action is to take the dash a part and go form there, unless someone know of anything.

I think you right that you may have a loose/bad connection

Old 04-24-2009 | 01:33 PM
Wiring diagrams could come in handy

Old 02-04-2011 | 06:19 PM
I am having the same problem. I plan to take out the DVD player itself and start there. When i bought the car it worked fine and then one day died. It works maybe once every 1-2 months now. Funny thing is, I was messing with it the other day just trying to get the disc to eject, and took another disc and was sticking it in there a little bit to jiggle the insides and then all the sudden it worked. it only lasted until I got home and hasnt powered back on since then. But im thinking something on the inside of the DVD player is bad. sigh.....

Old 12-25-2011 | 08:19 PM
Nav pop up issue fix

NEVER HAD THE DVD STUCK ISSUE, but i did have the screen not stay up and go right back down.

Did A LOT of homework on it including researching the infamous TSB on the unit.

No you dont have to spend that much, nor do you have to go out and do a double din replacement (which would run into the 1k range after you get the dual climate control adapter, steering wheel adapter, and the actual unit)

When the screen pops up, the upper limit is determined by the number of revolutions of the motor, not the actual position of the screen. Over time, this limit seems to go out of adjustment.
To "trick" the limit, while the screen is moving up, quickly press down or tap on the screen so it momentarily moves downward then resumes raising as soon as you let go of it. When done correctly, the screen should raise fully; if you hold it too long, the screen will retract.

Now I dont know how long this will fix it, but mines been out of commission for months. Seems to work when its cold not when its hot, and now finally this year not at all. Did the fix mentioned above and ALL GOOD!

Falling in love with my g35 all over again

(NOTE: I'm going to post this in as many locations as possible since its been years since I've been looking for a fix.)

Thanks!

Old 12-28-2011 | 01:23 PM
Mine does the same thing, dealership wanted over a grand to send it out for repair lol...Could try unwise's trick, but my navi pops up manually, not with a motor