G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Car Stuck in Semi-Auto Gear!

Old 07-12-2004, 11:23 AM
JiG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Stuck in Semi-Auto Gear!

Hello All,

I had my car parked by a valet attendant yesterday and when I came back to retrieve my car I couldn't believe what had happended. The car was parked, but the stick shift was stuck in the semi-automatic gear! No matter what we did, we couldn't get the car back into "DRIVE" (automatic). We couldn't get the key out of the ignition either. I'm not sure what the parking attendant did, but i was pissed off to say the least.

Ultimately we had to call a toll truck to take the car back to the dealership. I have yet to hear from them so i don't really know what the story is. Is this a technical failure or is this a security feature of some sort???!

Does anybody have any idea what's going on? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advanced everybody.

- Alex

Old 07-12-2004, 11:40 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Car Stuck in Semi-Auto Gear!

Sounds strange....
I know that there is a mechanical trany shift release, that may help.
I don't remember all the details about it but......
If you look at the console near the top of the shift plate, there is a small slot that you insert a probe (long thin blade) to release the shifter.

<font color=blue>04 Silverstone G35, 5AT, Prem, Aero
ES100 225/45-18 front 245/40-18 rear
Borla TD, Z-tube, Eibach, 35%Tints</font color=blue>

Old 07-12-2004, 11:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a shift lock tool in the tool pouch with you spare (or jack) Try that, but also, look in the manual first as well!

Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Chrome Wheels '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 07-12-2004, 01:15 PM
JiG

I actually tried the shif lock release but it still wouldn't budge.

Old 07-12-2004, 01:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a thread about this some time ago, but I'm not sure if it was here or on FreshAlloy, sounds like it could be the same thing!

Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Chrome Wheels '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 07-12-2004, 02:42 PM
JiG

ok so the car's been fixed. when i brought the car in, apparently they changed the climate control unit, 'cause there was a recall on this part (are they bullsh*ttin me? not sure) the installation was flawed and the wires were "pinching"

what a load o' crap.

Old 07-12-2004, 02:42 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've heard so many horror stories about valets, that I would not trust them under any circumstances.
Sorry for your problem, but it seems the dealer needs to do the repairs.
What the hell a valet needed manual mode for is beyond me, unless he had your G out joyriding. [img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]..hmmmmmmm

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 07-12-2004, 08:22 PM
Unimaginative, Indecisive User

i despise shady valets. and even though they aren't in your car long, you know they're messing with it. in chicago, i usually parked valet when going clubbing. a lot of times i got my car back with the radio tuned in to some mexican station. now that i have my G, i almost never park valet unless i have no other choice.

jig... i remember getting recall letters that included stuff about headlight clips, brake lamp, and A/C-radio fixes. i also had my outside temp gauge unit replaced. but eh, climate control? hmm... shady!

<font color=purple>.g35girl.</font color=purple>

Old 07-12-2004, 11:18 PM

You guys, what's with the “don't trust the valet” posts?” I can't believe that valets want to spend a second more than necessary in your cars. Look at it this way. Most valets earn their money based on tips. The pressure is to park your car carefully and get on to the next car. When it's returned to you in good condition, they make their tip. It would be really bad to do anything that would harm your car. The whole "return the car, get the tip" routine would grind to a halt while you, the manager, and valet where sorting out the problem. This is in no one's best interest.

JiG said that the dealership admitted to a flawed installation of climate control being the most likely cause of the problem. Is it possible the valet couldn't move the lever from drive to park and pushed it over to manumatic either accidentally or to see if it would help get the car parked? I might have done the same thing.

04 G35X

Old 07-13-2004, 12:03 AM
Unimaginative, Indecisive User

"i despise <font color=red>shady</font color=red> valets."

[img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img] read carefully, mr johnson.

i'm sure most valets do well at their job, thus excluding them from my "shady" comment. but, it's those handful of bad valets that have steered me away from them in general. ask mr elussive. he can share a few stories with you on this matter. or, you can read about them as he has posted about them in detail.

<font color=purple>.g35girl.</font color=purple>

Old 07-13-2004, 12:21 AM

Well - I did respond to gsedanman's post..., which in fairness to me was not so specific about the "shady" factor. But I guess I'm always concerned about posts that tend to paint a group of people with the negatives from a singular bad experience.

My point was that it just didn't seem appropriate to paint this valet with a negative (or bring it up for that manner - which perpetuates the "shady" valet myth). The thread clearly suggested a dealer related issue. I merely suggested a possible explanation for the gearshift being where it was.

I didn't mean to flame anyone. Sorry if you took it as such. And please, call me Cale.

04 G35X

Old 07-13-2004, 02:55 PM
JiG

ahh! this thread is being steered into the wrong direction!

was it the valet attendant's fault or did my car fail on me, at this point, i'm not sure

i'm not sure who to believe, because potentially anybody can be dishonest to cover their own *ss, including the mechanic at infiniti (yes, they lie too!)

Old 07-13-2004, 04:53 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Calejohnson-
Most valets are prolly ok - as you imply. It's not those guys I'm talking about and it's not those guys who bang up your wheels, dent your fenders, steal your property, and God knows what else.
Ask around, my friend, you'll hear the same horror stories I have heard, and have the same reservations as I do too.
Sorry if this hit a nerve, but understand that some of these guys take liberties that they damn well shouldn't, and since you can't tell who the jerks are, then you've got no choice but to paint them all the same.[img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Personally I stay away from them all.
Your choice is your business, and your car. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
------------------

Jig,
Sounds strange to me, but hey, maybe there is a connection between the climate control and the transmission.[img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Not meaning to pick on valets, but as I said b4, from what i've read here, some of those guys need watching realy closely.
Beware. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>