G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Newbie: Where is the 20 HP (coupe vs. sedan)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Newbie: Where is the 20 HP (coupe vs. sedan)?

the wheel hp difference is about 6-9.

The difference is in two places: ecu and exhaust (moslty in the resonator as 3pt5 se said). That 6-9 hp difference is SURPASSED very easily with an upgrade of those two parts . Essentially, these two mods done on the same tranny coupe and sedan will bring the two cars to the same hp point. But remember, teh sedans are 80lbs lighter than the coupes.

Gurgen

Old 07-13-2004, 08:52 PM

I have an interesting thought (which someone may have already posted on another thread) that I would appreciate some comments...

I was in my Infiniti service dept. today, having them check out why my Tire Pressure Monitoring system light keeps coming on after running very hot for 45 min. on the highway, and the typical MM shifting delay and it not going into the selected gear the first time I upshift (so I have to shift it again for it to engage)...I think some call it 'fighting with the MM' ;-).

Anyhow, I asked the service mgr about doing an ECU & TCU reset to see if that would help...well, needless to say, they didn't like that idea nor did they have another authorized easy way to do this (like disconnecting the pos & neg battery terminals and touching them together for 5 sec. or that gas pedal reset thing as been discussed here). So, I asked him about waiting for the '05's to come out for a new ECU & TCU software flash, and he actually said it could be a possibility that I may want to consider. I would just need to wait until the '05's come out so they have the new software updates.

I'm wondering if this could possibly 1. solve the 5AT MM tranny issues (upshift delay and 'fighting' to get it into the next gear) and 2. would it possibly get the car up to the new '05's 277HP or close to it (assuming they made no or minimal exhaust or intake changes)?

btw - after putting an add'l 200 mi. on my car just to get the little Low Tire Pressure Motnitor light to come on, I pulled into the Infiniti service dept. and they couldn't figure out why so they just reset the sensors (for the 2nd time) and said if came on again, then they'll order me a new Tire Pressure Monitor Control Unit. I was very annoyed and I bet it will come on as soon as I get back on the highway for 45 min. What a waste of time today!

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter

Old 07-13-2004, 09:42 PM

I think if they have an ECU upgrade that adds power then the ECU upgrade is a no-brainer for all of us.

My build date is 9/02 should I consider TCU update for the 04 or late 03.5? It's tough to tell if it's worth it based on what I've read. I like my tranny when it's recently had the ecu reset.

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan (E-thing but Nav)
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Polk EX-3500 Tweeters/Shock Sensor/H-Liner

Old 07-13-2004, 09:53 PM

Yeah, the service dept. said they would only do an ecu & tcu reset now if they replaced the tranny which at this point isn't going to happen. I may wait until the '05's come out, but this 'not switching into gear when I upshift' thing is just wrong, and I duplicated twice when the service mgr was in the car with me for a test drive. They said they would address it, but frankly, b/c there is no TSB, they don't know how to fix it, unless the '05's ecu & tcu software update has the fix and they can reflash my ecu & tcu.

It's really sad that many of you guys here know more about the mechanics of the G35 (and how to fix certain problems, etc.) than the actual Infiniti mechanics themselves.

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter

Old 07-16-2004, 12:46 PM

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the knowlegable input. You guys definately helped me feel better about buying what I want (a sedan). I am 90% leaning towards a G35. I graduate in December and I have been telling myself for 10 years now that when I graduate, I am going to treat myself to a 'dream' car (yeah it took me 10 years to get through college, stop laughing :P). Thanks again.

1996 Pearl White/black leather Maxima - Supercharged (and more)

1993 Pearl White/grey SHO - Stock (except paint)