G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 vs. Miata

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 vs. Miata

Holy cow! I got smoked by a Miata the other day!!!

Now that I have your attention, no, I did not actually race a Miata, but I do own one.

A little background first: I found out 4 months ago that my wife and I brought back a "little souvineer" from Maui. She's due in November and, of course, we're both extremely excited, as it will be our first. The bad news, my 1999 Miata just won't cut it as a backup baby hauler. The good news, I get a new car! I still wanted a RWD manual transmission car, but had to keep the out-the-door price tag under 30K. We test drove a BMW 325 (slow, small, and boring interior), and Acura TL (nice, too much $$, and Wrong Wheel Drive), and finally test drove the G35 (saved the best for last). Needless to say, we both loved it, and proceeded to order a DG 6MT with Graphite interior through Nissan's VPP. After 3 months of waiting, it finally came in last Tuesday, and I've been grinning ever since.

My question is...How the heck do you shift this thing quickly? I can shift the Miata as fast as my legs can possibly fly, but have been having trouble getting through the gears of the G35 (especially getting into 1st and 2nd). At this point, I could probably get to 60 quicker in the Miata, but then, of course, the G would blow it away after that. It seems like I can only engage first gear smoothly if I pull away at just above idle speed. Any thoughts, suggestions for quick shifting without snapping necks?

FYI, I just went though my first full tank of gas and filled it back up with 17.2 gallons for 378 miles on the trip O.D. = 22 MPG. Not too bad, considering the A.C. was on the entire time, and I had 3 passengers half the time.

1999 Mazda Miata (sport)
Silver, Black Leather
2004 G35 6MT
Diamond Graphite
Graphite Leather

Old 07-15-2004, 01:38 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: G35 vs. Miata

You were spoiled by the Miata to go to anything else as far as the MT is concerned.
I drove one a couple of years ago & it was a lot of fun rowing through that MT.....light & crisp.

Enjoy the new ride.

<font color=blue>04 Silverstone G35, 5AT, Prem, Aero
ES100 225/45-18 front 245/40-18 rear
Borla TD, Z-tube, Eibach, 35%Tints</font color=blue>

Old 07-15-2004, 02:12 PM

Now that the wife has her G35, I'm thinking about a Miata as a commute vehicle... I too noticed the shifting being a bit slow. I'm glad someone brought up this question (thought it was just me that couldn't figure out how to drive the car fast)! I suspect you're right on (Miata faster to 60). Despite the power advantage, I can't seem to get the G to move fast off the line. Given the stip times some people are posting, it's clearly possible. Compared with my daily driver ('97 Neon ACR), the G is a BIG car. It reminds me of my friends 'Vette (lots of power, but heavy and lumbering for a "sports car"). I've not driven a Z, but wonder if it shares the same characteristics (should do, it's the same driveline). The best I can figure out to-date is to either launch conservatively, or go all out - anything in between just seems to cause a bog. The wife drives the G better than me though (drives it every day). When she's in the car, she objects to the "agressive" launch style! Then there's the stupid VDS that never completely shuts off (rather the ABS traction control portion). Even with the LSD, the ABS system still activates to prevent wheel-spin (even with VDS off). Plus, viscous LSDs don't actually transfer torque until slippage starts (they work by heating the silicon fluid between the plates - AFTER the wheel starts spinning). Again, despite all this, people have figured out how to get the cars to MOVE... Maybe somebody could post the techniques???

2004.5 G35 Sedan | Garnet Fire + Willow | 6MT | Z-Tube

Old 07-15-2004, 02:14 PM

Hey, what's done is done, but why didn't you get the G35 5AT???? I drive mine around everywhere in ManuMatic mode (very fun, like having a MT but without the hassle of the clutch and getting it into the gears, and still very fast!!!), but when I need both hands for multiple tasks (like when our 2-year-old in the car seat behind me needs me to reach her toy she dropped ;-), I just flip it into Auto D, and it's much easier.

I know all the guys here love their 6MT's and rightly so, but the 5AT w/ MM mode was a must for me. Anyway, however you do it, enjoy your new ride!!!! It's a phenomenal car!

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 07/15/04 11:20 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 07-15-2004, 02:54 PM

just keep practicing, you'll get it. Anyway to get to 60 you only need to shift once. I doubt the Miata can get to 60 faster even if you mess up a little.

Old 07-15-2004, 03:21 PM

Driving manu-matic is 'NOT' even close to driving a 6MT without the hassle of the clutch.

All auto drivers say that as to make an excuse or defese for their automatic. Automatics are great, they're easier to drive, they're smoother, you don't have to worry about friends driving it, etc.

I've come to the conclusion that my g/f will NEVER be able to drive stick, she just doesn't get it. There are plenty of people who will never drive stick in there life, but I want to vomit everytime I hear that auto/manumatic is similar to driving a stick.

If it ain't got a clutch then it's in another league; not necessarily a worse league. Automatic has it's place, but the control you get with a clutch cannot be compared.

I've driven manumatic cars before and they're lame, I'd much rather leave it in D or downshift as appropriate. Manumatics always have a slight delay, you can't utilize any sort of clutch on up or downshifts, etc.

Manumatic isn't even a substitute for stick, it was designed for people who want to think they're driving stick but aren't.

04 6MT Sedan - Z Tube, Stillen CAB, 04 Z Suspension

Old 07-15-2004, 03:41 PM

BrianV -

Don't get so defensive about it. You love driving a MT...we get it. But, many of us have already had years of driving 5 speed (well, now it's 6 speed ;-) and are done with it. There are many more priorities in life; some of which I mentioned in previous posts. Yes, and Auto is easier and the MT gives you more control and feel of the road, but the market which has many more MM AT cars today (than just a few years ago) tells you that people really like them. The 5AT MM does give you a sense of driving a MT but without the pain and hassle of the clutch and it's almost as fun to drive (maybe more so b/c you won't get a cramp in your left leg ;-) I enjoy upshifting in MM when I want to and I typically downshift to 3rd gear heading toward a red light (and then let the computer downshift to 1st so I can start out again from 1st in MM mode).

I believe that the MM autoshifting of today (espicially the ones with the MM tabs on the steering wheels) was inspired by Formula 1 racing from Ferrari, Porsche, and a couple others which utilize the "TipTronic" Automatic trannies...they seem to very efficient and if paired with a good engine (like in our G35 ;-), they're fast and fun too!!!! ;-)

Both trannies have their place, but many of us prefer the luxury of not using a clutch; maybe not as much control, but still very enjoyable nonetheless. It's all in your preference...just enjoy.

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 07/15/04 12:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 07-15-2004, 03:55 PM

Gettin' a little off topic, aren't we guys? I started this post to introduce myself (my first post), and to get a little shifting advise for a new 6MT owner. I did not intend to start a "which is better" transmission debate. That said, any 6MT owners have any suggestions for quick shifting? With the Miata I could just rev it a little and drop the clutch in about 1/4 second. This doesn't work very smoothly in the G.

1999 Mazda Miata (sport)
Silver, Black Leather
2004 G35 6MT
Diamond Graphite
Graphite Leather

Old 07-15-2004, 04:05 PM

Sorry to stray, but F1 cars have a SMG style tranny right? (Which isn't the same as an auto with mm or tiptronic and can shift faster than a true manual)

Old 07-15-2004, 04:22 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

That's right.
Basicall the SMG is a manual trany c/w clutch.
But the computer opperates the clutch when the shift button is pushed. It also has an auto mode which simulates an AT (BMW).

Audi has a new DST (direct shift)trany that is basically 2 MTs merged together (2 output shafts) and a twin clutch, as you go through the gears the computer pre-engages the next gear, ready for the next shift. It's suposed to be incredibly smooth & quick shifting.

<font color=blue>04 Silverstone G35, 5AT, Prem, Aero
ES100 225/45-18 front 245/40-18 rear
Borla TD, Z-tube, Eibach, 35%Tints</font color=blue>

Old 07-15-2004, 04:45 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Miata2G35:

Great question, and something I've been wrestling myself. I've now got 6500 miles on my MT - still lovin' it and can't wipe the grin off my face - but the shifting is still balky.

I've been driving sticks since high school, and my last daily driver was an '96 Accord EX with stick (now the wife's car), which was silky smooth. I also own 2 Mazdas, a VW Bug ('65), an Acura Integra, a Saturn, and '77 MGB - all with sticks, and all smoother than the "G".

Since the "G" is a torque monster, and 1st gear is pretty low in my opinion, I've found it smoothest just to start in 2nd gear, then go 4th, then 6th - using the intermittent gears only if/when needed. Although others say different, I don't have to "ride' the clutch when taking off, just let the car sort of idle away with minimal throttle, and then use the remaining gears as needed. Obviously, this approach doesn't work if you need to really get with it, or if you're on a hill or even a slight rise, but even with 4 people in the car, it's pretty easy to do, IMHO.

As a matter of fact, when I was test driving my car, I was all "herky jerky" in the takeoff and 1st/2nd and 2nd/3rd upshirfts (embarrassingly so, since I'm a veteran of sticks), so then I just started using my 2nd gear starts, sometimes going 2nd/3rd/4th,etc., and sometimes skipping gears, depending upon the need and the traffic situations. What was funny was the salesman commented that I'd seemed to have gotten the hang of the transmission pretty quickly, and my other passenger thought so, too - till I showed them that I was starting in 2nd and skipping gears.The salesman seemed very surprised!

The car magazines essentially say to shift it like you mean it and it works great, not to baby or finesse this transmission. Under hard acceleration, she shifts fine, and under light load, she shifts fine, but in-between, she's balky, and it doesn't look like it's going to get any better, either.

It's been reported on this site that there have been several revisions of this transmission, and there have also been several failures, resulting in transmission replacements (some guys are on their 3rd and even 4th transmissions). I think it was Gurgen who said the transmission has been revised like 5 times !! Check out the Technical section for more info on these MT's.

Good luck, man, and congratulations on the new car, and the new baby. Welcome to the "G" world.

Sport Sedan Fan - 2004 6MT Sedan
Sport/Navigation/Premium/Aero; "Invisiguard" Bra, Madico Onyx Tint
Obsidian Black/Graphite & "Titanium"
SHE'S SILVER & BLACK - GO RAIDERS!

Old 07-16-2004, 10:29 AM

Thanks dbarnes...that's the kind of answer I was looking for.

1999 Mazda Miata (sport)
Silver, Black Leather
2004 G35 6MT
Diamond Graphite
Graphite Leather

Old 07-16-2004, 11:44 AM

MiatatoG35,

I have had my 6MT since Feb 2003. I have 46K miles on it now. I drive in Southern California in traffic on one of the worst Fwys here the 91 Fwy. It is difficult at first to get nice smooth shifts. It will take a little practice. For me it all depends on what type of shift or start I want. There is nice and smooth start. For this I just keep the revs down to like an idle and let the clutch out slowly. I also AutoX at which time the revs go up and I power shift between every shift. Bit for smooth shifts the lower the RPM's the better. I have seen a couple of 6MT owners that actually start in 2nd to get a smoother start. I personally don't agree with this way of shifting. I usually start slow and get on the gas pretty quick. 1st to 2nd takes a lot of practice.

The 2003's didn't come with any LSD, viscous or whatever. I have since added a Kazz LSD which is a clutch type of LSD. I have the clutchs set at 60% right now and I love it. It makes a little noise. but man is this thing hooked up. I haven't really noticed that it effects the shifiting though.

I also never, ever drive with the VDC on. I turn it off as soon as I start the car. It is way to intrusive in the 6MT. That seems to help starts also.

Enjoy this car. It is very, very different than a Miata. I love Miata's they handle like Go Carts. I race against them all the time at the SCCA events.

Base 6MT Silver sedan
Stillen Exhaust
Stillen CAI
Eibach Pro Kit
Eibach Sway Bars
Kaaz LSD

Old 07-16-2004, 12:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Transmission on the G35 is a little stiffer than other manual trannies I have had or driven in other cars. Part of the reason is that the stick is going directly in the tranny and isn't remote like they are on front drive cars. lower horspower cars like the Miata don't need such beefy internals so they probably shift a lot smoother becuase of it. Personally I like the stiff engagement. It lets me know that it is truly in gear. It's also peace of mind to know it is built strong enough to handle the horsepower the car puts out. As others have said, with practice you will get smoother.

As for the MT vs AT. At a recent Lexus drive event I was able to flog an AT around the course quite a few times and at speeds a lot higher than I would be able to do on a test drive with a saleman in the car. I can honestly say that the AT can't hold a candle to the MT acceleration. Even in MM mode, it's still an auto tranny. People buy AT and MT's for different reasons. Probably for the same reasons we chose a Sedan over a Coupe. so you'll get no argument from me there, but when I hear comments from people saying the AT is juat as good as a MT, I have to raise the BS flag.

Jim
'03.5 Sedan
Brilliant Silver/Graphite
6MT/ Premium package
Sport tuned suspension
Aerodynamic Body Kit
Navigation and Satellite Radio

Old 07-16-2004, 02:10 PM

I know this isn't a 6MT vs MM post, but I concure with shodog. Then again I'm biased.

Base 6MT Silver sedan
Stillen Exhaust
Stillen CAI
Eibach Pro Kit
Eibach Sway Bars
Kaaz LSD