Car is pretty much done so i have a very short list left

Near future
-Bags
-More polish in engine bay

in a longer future
-DDin
-custom paint
-Custom sound system!
Thought you had an Alpine DD. I remember talking about it in a thread when I got my Kenwood.

Old 06-17-2009 | 10:09 PM
UPDATE !!

Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
Appearance
1. LEDs: White for license plate, doors, maplights, Amber for clear corners. Trunk, glove boxes, rear ceiling, and reverse lights to follow.
V-LEDS.COM is having a sale on several 194's, so I bought a few.
License Plate/Trunk: http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/D...68710-1-2.html
Side Markers: http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/C...35706-1-2.html
Not sure, but I'll find a place: http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/P...11110-1-2.html

They didn't have any festoon lights on sale, so the maplights and doors will have to remain stock.

Old 06-17-2009 | 11:11 PM
Damn.. I was looking for the festoon lights. I got what you just bought. But thanks for the heads up on the sale.. What color you got for the sides? Amber?

Old 06-17-2009 | 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
that’s not altogether true... partially, but not entirely... read the link posted above.
Yea i read those posts, was very impressed after reading it. You basically lose 1.5 hp but no torque with a 3 inch y-pipe connected to 3" single exhaust compared to a 2.5" y-pipe. If 1.5 hp matters that much to people to say not to get 3" then idk wat to tell them. Any other combination sufferred more in both hp and torque cateogry. So ya 3" FTW!

Old 06-17-2009 | 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by LyricallySick
Damn.. I was looking for the festoon lights. I got what you just bought. But thanks for the heads up on the sale.. What color you got for the sides? Amber?
Yep, Amber for the clear corners. I think white looks good in them, but only on the darker colored cars, not IP, BS, or DG.

How do yours look? Unfortunately, these are going in places I don't see very much. How often are you behind your car when the lights are on? But they'll look good.

Old 06-17-2009 | 11:40 PM
I agree with you. I got amber as well and they turned out well. Your right, these place we barely see, but they do look good. You tell me how they look. I apologize for the ****ty pictures, Nikon Coolpix

Old 06-18-2009 | 03:58 AM
Originally Posted by 350GT-R
because if u think about it, look at your setup, compare your awd y-pipe to the standard g35 y-pipe, it look exactly like the hr-y-pipe.
The sound will remain the same, so no point, no extra hp, so no point. Go for aftermarket y-pipe, sounds way better or just custom bend your own y-pipe, go for like 2.5 or 3inch, it will sound awesome! Imo
thanx for the input

Old 06-18-2009 | 11:23 AM
|
Originally Posted by 4drmadness
imo hr y pipe is not worth it at all!!! I had it and doesnt do shieet!!

I disagree and a whole swarm of other owners would disagree as well. Yes, there is no power to be gained with the HR y-pipe, but it definitely gives the exhaust a deeper sound and improve low and midrange throttle response. It makes the VQ feel a bit more torquey from idle to 3000rpms. After that, it's purely sound. Now if you've got other aftermarket exhaust components, then you'd most likely not hear the sound difference because so much other volume is being created by aftermarket HFCs/TPs/headers/mufflers/etc.

I have yet to see one aftermarket y-pipe dyno other than the MD XYZ pipe, that's shown a power gain. I still need to see another 3rd party dyno of the MD XYZ pipe before I consider it. My main concern with the XYZ pipe is the nuetered power below 2500rpms which is where my 5AT spend most of it's time. I don't know if I can handle a reduction of 20wtq below 2500rpm. That could actually hurt my 1/4 mile 60' so bad that the gained power of the XYZ couldn't make up for the difference or it might be a wash.

Old 06-18-2009 | 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by Bestswat
Yea i read those posts, was very impressed after reading it. You basically lose 1.5 hp but no torque with a 3 inch y-pipe connected to 3" single exhaust compared to a 2.5" y-pipe. If 1.5 hp matters that much to people to say not to get 3" then idk wat to tell them. Any other combination sufferred more in both hp and torque cateogry. So ya 3" FTW!
Except its not 3” the entire length… his system graduates from smaller to larger diameter... before the exhaust was released I remember him explaining to me that he wanted to test and developed a "megaphone" style exhaust - and explained the technical reasons as indicated in the post you read.

Old 06-18-2009 | 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
I disagree and a whole swarm of other owners would disagree as well. Yes, there is no power to be gained with the HR y-pipe, but it definitely gives the exhaust a deeper sound and improve low and midrange throttle response. It makes the VQ feel a bit more torquey from idle to 3000rpms. After that, it's purely sound. Now if you've got other aftermarket exhaust components, then you'd most likely not hear the sound difference because so much other volume is being created by aftermarket HFCs/TPs/headers/mufflers/etc.

I have yet to see one aftermarket y-pipe dyno other than the MD XYZ pipe, that's shown a power gain. I still need to see another 3rd party dyno of the MD XYZ pipe before I consider it. My main concern with the XYZ pipe is the nuetered power below 2500rpms which is where my 5AT spend most of it's time. I don't know if I can handle a reduction of 20wtq below 2500rpm. That could actually hurt my 1/4 mile 60' so bad that the gained power of the XYZ couldn't make up for the difference or it might be a wash.
You spend most of your time below 2500 rmp??? Trq and/or hp isn’t even an issue in that case – 2500rmp is cruising speed (in any gear)… I agree with not wanting to lose too much tat far down low – but that’s because of acceleration from stop or slow roll – however, those times are not even close to being most of the time (at least not for me) – and there are other tricks to help the low end… 3K-6K is what I’m most concerned about (most time spent between 3-5K)… anything above and below that is a consideration, but not focal point (at least for me).

As for cannibalizing G parts… it’s a cheap alternative and nothing wrong with it… but I highly doubt it would amount to significant enough gains (in any manner) that most ppl would bother with… this isn’t to say there’s not a nitch for some people… some are looking for cheap alternatives for even small gains – nothing wrong with that.

Old 06-18-2009 | 02:23 PM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
Dave, if you read Tony's posts (which are all great), he does emphasize peak power and wants to retain as much torque as possible. But he has specifically said he's design goals are more in the area of high hp and torque. Basicly he's willing to give up some tq/hp down low if it means more hp/torque later in the rpm range. But he does make a conscience decision and explains exactly why in Mike's post (great link Mike).

From Tony's post:

The 2.0" Y-pipe primaries did indeed provide the highest TQ, but it brought a good portion of the HP down. 2.25" primaries were better but could still be improved upon. The 2.5" Y-pipe primaries provided the best peak power and the best average power.
You can see, he's interested in the best ave hp thoughout the rpm range. But he's willing to give up some low end if it means the ave numbers are up everwhere else (provided it's not too peaky). That is how I understand it.

Dave's goals are a bit different than Tony's and Mike's. Dave (as do I) want to retain as much low end torque as possible w/o giving up any mid/high rpm hp if at all possible. As I stand right now, my Borla with it's 2.25" primaries and the Magnaflow X is a good fit for me. But I do wonder how the Stillen 2.5" primaries would compare as it also has an X pipe. There's also the issue of sound which is a big deal to me, Dave and many others. Which has to hurt ultimate hp/torque figures.

One also has to notice that Tony's observations on the Y pipe is not only the diameters. It's also the angle that each primary meets the Y (or X for that matter). You will note that the HR Y is further back and has a diff angle at which it approaches the merge point. The HR angle is more like Tony's. But the merge point seems to be a touch further back than Tony's XYZ unit( I could be wrong about the merge point though). My Borla's custom X has a merge angle similar to Tony's and a merge point also similar to Tony's. But it was accidental. As I didn't have much choice in either area. It just ended up being that way. If it's not exactly like Tony's, it's at least more similar to his design vs what the early oem Y pipes are. Which is looking to be inferior given what the Z/Gs new Y pipe designs are. (which also confirm what Tony is thinking about merge angles)

I had a discussion as to "why" the HR unit and Tony's might be better in another thread. No one chose to participate in it much.

Old 06-18-2009 | 02:52 PM
|
You spend most of your time below 2500 rmp??? Trq and/or hp isn’t even an issue in that case – 2500rmp is cruising speed (in any gear)… I agree with not wanting to lose too much tat far down low – but that’s because of acceleration from stop or slow roll – however, those times are not even close to being most of the time (at least not for me) – and there are other tricks to help the low end… 3K-6K is what I’m most concerned about (most time spent between 3-5K)… anything above and below that is a consideration, but not focal point (at least for me).
Don't forget, I've got the factory gears and yes, my car spends nearly all of it's life below 3000rpms. Around town, I'm in 4th which is 2000rpms and on the highway it's usally 2500-2700rpms.

The fear I have with the XYZ pipe is the 15 to 20wtq drop in torque from 2000rpms to 2800rpms. Around town, it will make the car feel boggy. At the strip is where I'd be more worried. My car sees it's best 60 foots coming off the line at ~2400rpms. This puts me right in the heart of the reduced torque curve. Additionally, with less torque, the motor may not be able to generate as high a stall speed either. I fear 60 foots will go from mid to high 2.1s up to mid to high 2.2s. That alone could reduce 1/4 mile ET by .1 to .15 seconds and I'm doubtful the added power of the XYZ pipe could recover the lost initial acceleration. Either the car will be slower overall or it will be a wash. If I had a 6MT, it wouldn't be much of an issue at all. I'm still pondering it and am waiting for some other XYZ dynos to pop up, preferably something on a Dynojet. I've also considered buying it and if I don't like it, I'm sure I could sell it for 80-90% of what I paid.

Old 06-18-2009 | 06:43 PM
Except its not 3” the entire length… his system graduates from smaller to larger diameter... before the exhaust was released I remember him explaining to me that he wanted to test and developed a "megaphone" style exhaust - and explained the technical reasons as indicated in the post you read.
Oh thats odd i asked him if the xyz pipe was 3" and he said yes and for the vq system as well. So what diamater of piping does it start at and where does it start if its the "megaphone style"?

Old 06-18-2009 | 06:51 PM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
Best to search Hydrazine's posts here or on the Z forums. You'll learn way more than your original question.

Old 06-18-2009 | 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Bestswat
Oh thats odd i asked him if the xyz pipe was 3" and he said yes and for the vq system as well. So what diamater of piping does it start at and where does it start if its the "megaphone style"?
did you read the link in post #74?... pay particular attention to Tony's explanation of diffusers (towards the end of his last post)… but all of Tony’s posts in that thread are excellent – best info ever posted regarding exhaust imo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What are your realistic future plans?