G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Q: Summer Tires, Winter Tires, and how you manage TPMS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Q: Summer Tires, Winter Tires, and how you manage TPMS

Q: How do you get your TPMS to work every time you switch between your summer tire set and your winter tire set?

Right now I'm on bald 17" stockers with TPMS. I'll replace the tires with Yoko W-Drive winter tires, leaving the TPMS on the stock wheels, and creating my "winter set" of tires.

I'm also buying four new 19" wheels and tires, Yoko S-Drives, for my "summer set" of tires. I intend to install four new TPMS on the new 19" tires.

So how do I get the TPMS to work every time I swap tire sets? Does the tire shop clone the origianl set of TPMS so it works on the second set of tires? Can I reprogram the car to recognize the new set of TPMS ID's myself? Pay the tire shop or stealer to reprogram every time I swap? Skip TPMS on the second set altogether and live with the idiot light on the dash?

What do you do?

Old 07-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well it looks like I'm a moron and should have used the search feature.

Apparently some do not install the TPMS on the second set of tires and live with the idiot light.

Others install TPMS on the second set and either swap tires themselves and pay to have the sensors recognized, or pay to have the tires swapped and recognized.

Still others stick with one set of rims including TPMS and pay to have just the tires swapped.

But the solution I was looking for: teach the new sensors yourself!

https://g35driver.com/forums/wheels-...ial-tools.html

Old 07-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for posting a link to you findings...

Only problem I had was the link inside your link for the OBD3 does not work. How do you get this into learning mode?

Old 07-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I have two sets of tires and only have the TPMS in my summer wheels. I just live with the light in the winter, but it rarely comes on since most of my driving is city. The light comes on after about 45 minutes of continous driving. And when it comes on theres no chiming just a silent light, and its reset when the car is restarted. Not really worth the hassle of buying and installing the sensors into winter wheels.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like you, I am using my 17" OEM wheels as winter wheels. I am running 19" coupe Rays as my summer wheels. I have a set of TPMS on both sets of wheels.

I had the tire shop program the TPMS on my summer wheels when they mounted the tires in April. Shortly after installing the summers on my car, it started snowing so I put my winters back on for another 3 weeks.

The TPMS worked on both of my wheelsets without having to reprogram them between change-outs.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Canuck
Like you, I am using my 17" OEM wheels as winter wheels. I am running 19" coupe Rays as my summer wheels. I have a set of TPMS on both sets of wheels.

I had the tire shop program the TPMS on my summer wheels when they mounted the tires in April. Shortly after installing the summers on my car, it started snowing so I put my winters back on for another 3 weeks.

The TPMS worked on both of my wheelsets without having to reprogram them between change-outs.
This is great to know. This is exactly what I want to do. That is what I was assuming would happen. Now I just need to find some Rays!

Old 07-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why not just run snow tires on your stock 19s, thats what i do and i drove in the snow no problem. I know the sidewall is small but our Gs are barely 5inches of the ground so regardless if it snows too much you can't drive in deep snow because the car doesn't have enought clearance. Blizzaks FTW!!

Old 07-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mawells787
why not just run snow tires on your stock 19s, thats what i do and i drove in the snow no problem. I know the sidewall is small but our Gs are barely 5inches of the ground so regardless if it snows too much you can't drive in deep snow because the car doesn't have enought clearance. Blizzaks FTW!!
Skinnier tires will cut through the snow better than a wider width tire will. So running the OEM 17s with 215/55 tires would be a better and not to mention much cheaper in the end.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:58 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I bought that tool but have yet to use it.

I've had the dealer reset my TPMS twice and both times it comes back on oddly enough in the same stretch of highway.

So i hgave up trying to explain it