G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

cycling/trailer hitch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cycling/trailer hitch

I would like to know if anyone has mounted a trailer hitch on a G35 Sedan. I have an 04 G35x Sedan with the full Aero kit. I know that many people will think I'm crazy for wanting to put a hitch on this car but roof and trunk mounted bicycle racks are out of the question. [I've seen both types fail resulting in car and bicycle damage.] So, I either find a hitch for the G35 or take my 98 Civic whenever I have to transport the bike.

I have been unable to find any G35 specific hitches on the Internet. The only thing remotely close is a Hidden Hitch model for the 04 FX45. This poses two problems, 1-I don't know if it actually fits a G35; and 2-on the FX45 it requires you to trim the fascia. This second problem is a deal killer. I know there are license plate mounted bike racks out there but I am concerned about their durability and because they still require you to attach a strap to the trunk. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-05-2004, 11:54 AM
Re: cycling/trailer hitch

You may want to check out weathertech.com, I have seen trailier hitches there.

Old 08-05-2004, 12:29 PM
Premier Member

No one makes a hitch for the G35. You have to find someone to do a custom one. I had a custom one done on my G35 a while back.

2004 Infiniti G35S, 6MT, Premium, Sport, DP
Mods: JDM Clears, 20% tint, Z-tube, Stilen CAI
Track: 14.32 at 98.79 mph 2.2032 60ft
Dyno 07-07-04 - 234.2 hp & 233.8 tq
http://www.g35world.com

Old 08-05-2004, 02:15 PM

Thanks for your input. There is a local shop in NY that has a good reputation so I'll look them up. The only downside is that they are located in a part of town where I would never park my car.

l guess I'll have to negotiate a price with the fabricator. Can you tell me how much your custom hitch cost? Are you happy with the results?

I haven't had the time to even look under the car to see what I'm up against. Did they have to alter the exterior of the car to mount it? Is it obvious or mounted in a way that it is difficult to see?

I'm hoping the hitch can be tucked way under the car so it cannot be seen. A friend had this done on his Mustang for similar reasons. He solved the access problem by getting an extension for the bike rack.

Old 08-05-2004, 02:34 PM

If you have a road bike, it'll fit in the back seat with no problem. Just pop off the front wheel, turn the bike upside-down, then slide it in. Just put down a bed sheet or something to protect the leather, and voila. I carry my Trek 2300 road bike this way all the time and haven't had any problem.

Of course, if you have a muddy mtn bike, then you'd probably need a rack...

Old 08-05-2004, 03:02 PM

I do my trail and road rides on a 03 Kona Dawg that is way to dirty to put in the car even after I've tried to clean it up. I thought about dropping both wheels and the seat to get it in the trunk but even that idea was rejected - too time consuming and it will trash the trunk. These solutions also make it difficult to carry more than one bike.

Did you ever look into bike racks for the G35? I've seen pictures of a roof rack on a G35 somewhere on this board but I don't really like the way it looks w/ or wo/ the bikes loaded. Plus, I've heard many horror stories about roof/trunk racks failing. My friend's Thule rack dropped his bike on the roof of his brand new WRX while on the highway. He got lucky though, the bike stayed on the roof and only put a small dent in the car. Now he is back to a Sportworks rack. Expensive, but sturdy and amazingly easy to use.

Old 08-05-2004, 05:25 PM
Premier Member

The install was around 250 or so. I have detailed pictures I will put up tonight for you. They kinda goofed up my bumper and stuff which costed me another $250 to fix. So make sure they are careful with everything! The wiring you need to make sure you get one of those modules from UHAUL that goes directly to the battery for power. You will not be able to just tap into our system. It was tried and it would not work, it caused the car to have electrical issues.

The whole rear end is alumnium. The way they worked with mine, they attached a part of it to the rear bumper itself, and it went in and attached itself to the 2 main bolts under the rear suspension. I will post the pics so you understand more.

My rear bumper had to be cut a little. Especially due to the fact the rear bumper has a big piece that extends forward and attaches itself under the spare tire well. That had to be cut off.

It can be tucked under if done right. My place didn't do what I wanted and they definitely will never receive my business or the dealers again. Long story.

Old 08-05-2004, 06:59 PM
Premier Member

Pics:

Old 08-06-2004, 01:58 PM

Thanks for uploading all of the pictures. They will be a big help when I explain to the local shop what I want to do. The setup you have looks good. The only thing I would change is the position of the receiver. Hopefully they can make my hitch about 6 inches shorter so the receiver is just about flush with the muffler [without the tips]. This should eliminate the need to cut the bodywork under the bumper. I'll have to check the clearances allowed by the rack I want to buy and the available extensions.

$250 is almost three times the cost of an off the shelf hitch but it still beats the hell out of driving a 98 Civic to the start/finish of all my road rides. Thanks again for all your help. I'll post my own pics once I have the work done.

Old 03-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Received a message the other day notifying me that a hitch will be available for the G35 sedan in a few weeks. Here's the details:

You have inquired via e- mail to us regarding the following hitch.The NEW Infinity G35 Hitch is in production and will be available in the next couple weeks. If you would like one please order using the secure link and as soon as available we will ship.

This is a limited initial run and will be on a first ordered basis please.

DH247482/C11482..........................$119.95
s/h.........Cont US Ground....................29.00

total............................................. ..$148.95

To order http://www.hitchesonline.com/secure.htm

Please supply year of car

Note :
This is a class ONE hitch and will accept class ONE Accessories such as bike racks etc. It may not accept class two accessories

All policies on our site apply to this quote and sale.

Thank you and have a great day !

www.hitchesonline.com
The manufacturer is Curt Manufacturing and appears to be identical to the one advertised at http://www.hitch-web.com for $202.03 (shipping included), which is costlier.

Old 03-03-2005, 03:48 PM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Look, I road race bikes (Colnago C-40 65cm. w/Shimano Dura Ace) if there's anybody out there who cares bout' such things. Anyway, what's up with not using a "removable" roof rack (Thule etc.) About the same $ and no damage when/if ya get a 'rear-ender' . No way I'd risk my $6,000.00 carbon bike, or my wife's $300.00 Giant, on a floppy, hang'n in the breeze, target that requires me defacing/damaging my baby"G" . Check em' out dude, you'll be MUCH happier. Much luck and tell us what ya finally do JBX

Old 03-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Once again I agree with JustBrilliantX...My Greg LeMond goes on the roof, been using a Thule for years with no issues. Before I mount the rack on my G, I'm going to put down some 3M clear bra material where the pads sit on the roof.

As far as the trailer hitch goes, I'll probably get one along with a small custom made aluminum utility trailer for those trips to the Home Depot.

Old 03-05-2005, 10:15 AM
Question G-35 Hitch

I'm one who is certainly interested in putting a hitch on my G-35. Does anyone currently have one installed? Does anyone have one on order?
I would very much like to get a review from a user. If you have any info, please post it. I would hate to buy one and then find out that I shudda waited.
Thanks

Old 03-05-2005, 11:25 AM
I have on order one from hitchesonline.com. I'll post a review when it's delivered, which could be several more weeks, and installed.

Old 03-05-2005, 10:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Does anyone tow with their G. Wondering if it will pull two jet skis?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: cycling/trailer hitch