Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would get rubbing compound and wax and grease remover

Old 09-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by tdruk
I would get rubbing compound and wax and grease remover
thanks

what about the paint?
each 1 can of 12.5 oz basecoat and clearcoat paint can cover whole lowers?

Old 09-25-2009, 12:10 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Originally Posted by reverse01134
by the way, can you tell me the reason why you don't recommend DIY painting?
It just never comes out looking quite as good. Especially from a rattle can. The closest I've seen, DIY come out looking professional was a local guy that painted his 1/4mi car. But he had practice painting before and used a real spray rig. Even at that though, there were imperfections from bugs and a couple of small runs.
The main reason I suggested contacting a professional to you specifically, is because of how little it cost me to get it done, on the other hand, if it was going to cost me $500, I would have probably started looking into doing it myself too!
Do you have any kind of garage, or shed, on anywhere relatively bug free you can take the parts off and paint them?

Old 09-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by nfsp1
It just never comes out looking quite as good. Especially from a rattle can. The closest I've seen, DIY come out looking professional was a local guy that painted his 1/4mi car. But he had practice painting before and used a real spray rig. Even at that though, there were imperfections from bugs and a couple of small runs.
The main reason I suggested contacting a professional to you specifically, is because of how little it cost me to get it done, on the other hand, if it was going to cost me $500, I would have probably started looking into doing it myself too!
Do you have any kind of garage, or shed, on anywhere relatively bug free you can take the parts off and paint them?
thanks for advice!

I hope my work will look professional but the reason that I'm trying to paint it is to match the body color and lower color. Its just little bottom parts, so it will be fine even though it looks not that good quality.
In fact, I am an international student and I live with my friend in apartment. I was going to paint during noon, when the parking lot is empty. I didn't think about the bugs.. dang it can be problem..

Old 09-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
IMO you should leave the rocker panels as is... I'm not kidding. DIY is one thing but DIR (do it right) is more important. It seems as though the approach you are taking is going to look awful (I’m sorry, but I'm serious)... I suggest either save enough to have a good shop do it right - or just leave 'em. You won’t be able to "undo" if/when it looks like **** - and you'll have to pay a shop to make it right anyway.

Just my .02

Old 09-25-2009, 01:28 PM
? = 2B || !2B

You could always see what Maaco would charge. I would never have an entire car painted there, but if it was rattle cans+parking lot at noon versus Macco, I would probably take Maaco. Also, you don't need them to "blend" the paint, just have them do their best to match it without blending, that will save on cost. And make sure you threaten them with their lives should they get overspray on your car!

Almost forgot... What color is your car?

Old 09-25-2009, 01:43 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
He can always remove it with paint thinner if it looks ugly, when I got mine repainted I removed the paint and you couldn't even tell it had been painted, then I repainted it

Old 09-25-2009, 02:07 PM
thanks for comments!

Originally Posted by OCG35
IMO you should leave the rocker panels as is... I'm not kidding. DIY is one thing but DIR (do it right) is more important. It seems as though the approach you are taking is going to look awful (I’m sorry, but I'm serious)... I suggest either save enough to have a good shop do it right - or just leave 'em. You won’t be able to "undo" if/when it looks like **** - and you'll have to pay a shop to make it right anyway.

Just my .02
I found some people who did that themselves.(KushG35, GetsomeG35, blkonblkG35 etc) They did well because they have garage? I want garage

You could always see what Maaco would charge. I would never have an entire car painted there, but if it was rattle cans+parking lot at noon versus Macco, I would probably take Maaco. Also, you don't need them to "blend" the paint, just have them do their best to match it without blending, that will save on cost. And make sure you threaten them with their lives should they get overspray on your car!

Almost forgot... What color is your car?
Color is Caribbean Blue.
How much Maaco charges for painting lowers do you think?

Originally Posted by blkonblkGsedan
He can always remove it with paint thinner if it looks ugly, when I got mine repainted I removed the paint and you couldn't even tell it had been painted, then I repainted it
is it easy to remove the paint? just sanding and that's it?

Old 09-25-2009, 02:11 PM
i ordered two spay cans, but only used one to paint all the sills.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by KushG35
i ordered two spay cans, but only used one to paint all the sills.
basecoat and clearcoat both need each 1 can?
1 can was enough for you?

Old 09-25-2009, 02:26 PM
yeah 1 can of the basecoat and i already had a can of clear from checkers thats all i used.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:26 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Caribbean Blue? You lucky devil! I almost got a 6 speed manual in CB, but it was sold before the insurance company got my check out for the old car!
It's a really good color, problem is, it's going to be hard to match. IP is too. Black and Gray are lots easier.
IDK how much Maaco charges, call them. You can get the paint back off, no doubt. But it looks like you're going to be spending about $100 in materials to do it yourself right? Maaco may do it for that, or not much more than that, then you don't have to bother with it and you can hold them to their work if they screw up.

Last edited by NFSP G35; 10-02-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:32 PM
thanks for comments
Originally Posted by KushG35
yeah 1 can of the basecoat and i already had a can of clear from checkers thats all i used.
how many time 1 can can apply coats?

Caribbean Blue? You lucky devil! I almost got a 6 speed manual in CB, but it was sold before the insurance company got my check out for the old car!
It's a really good color, problem is, it's going to be hard to match. IP is too. Black and Gray are lots easier.
IDK how much Maaco charges, call them. You can get the paint back off, no doubt. But it looks like you're going to be spending about $100 in materials to do it yourself right? Maaco my do it for that, or not much more than that, then you don't have to bother with it and you can hold them to their work if they screw up.
yea i like the color.
I was considering between my g35 and 350z but I came to g35 because it is automatic. This is first car in my life and im not good at manual so i came to automatic 4dr sedan. and I love it except some rattles from door panels.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by blkonblkGsedan
if you can’t tell, then it wasn’t prepped properly - that plastic isn’t going to buff out and look normal again... it would definitely need to be repainted and that was the point of my post... have it done right the first time.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by reverse01134

I found some people who did that themselves.(KushG35, GetsomeG35, blkonblkG35 etc) They did well because they have garage? I want garage

have you seen the cars in person?... I'm not saying I have - and don’t know what theirs look like - but trust me; I've seen lots of pics on the internet, then you see the car in person and it isn’t always pretty... but suit yourself… good luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone painted lower sills?