Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 02:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
join the list..

Old 10-03-2009, 03:15 AM
Originally Posted by ray1370
Isn't 06' G35x Y-pipe similar to HR?
They made the bends on the AWD y-pipe similar to the HR y-pipe to clear the transfer case, i mean by looks not performance wise. The regular DE pipe that you see on coupes and rwd sedans are identical, the awd y-pipe is still DE just not identical looking.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:18 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Bestswat
They made the bends on the AWD y-pipe similar to the HR y-pipe to clear the transfer case, i mean by looks not performance wise. The regular DE pipe that you see on coupes and rwd sedans are identical, the awd y-pipe is still DE just not identical looking.
This topic has been brought up before, couldn't remember the conclusion..... if the 06' X y-pipe bents similar to the HR, maybe it has something to do with the development of the HR Y, which comes in the next gen. If that's the case, then the improvement from 06' X y-pipe to HR might not be that significant IMHO.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:59 PM
well im gonna get it and let you guys know if i feel any performance out of it.. i know the exhaust note is gonna be deeper, either way its cheap to get so i dont mind..

Old 10-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by ray1370
This topic has been brought up before, couldn't remember the conclusion..... if the 06' X y-pipe bents similar to the HR, maybe it has something to do with the development of the HR Y, which comes in the next gen. If that's the case, then the improvement from 06' X y-pipe to HR might not be that significant IMHO.
It wasn't too significant for me, performance wise. but in terms of sound yes..you can deffinately hear it. The coupe midpipe made a difference though, weighs a lot less than the 03-04 midpipe..or should i say suitcase. I doubt it has anything to do with the development of the HR y-pipe, if that was the case the rwd sedans would have it as well and so would the newer g35 coupes. Doesn't really make sense to me, why would only the x models have it.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:09 PM
well i got the hks exhaust, im getting the HR pipe and some HFC's, and a tune.. so im assuming the combo and the tune will get me some more power.. compared to keeping the 06 pipe..

Old 10-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is a really good thread... very informative, i've been hesitant to start on any exhaust work cause of having an x myself. curious about that graph, according to the data there, the coupe and the sedan appear to have the same engine but with different numbers, which i get, but the sedan numbers are lower, i assume the sedan weighs a good amount more than the coupe, and yet ive heard from numerous sources that the sedan is faster than the coupe... which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

in any case i'm glad to see that there are options for the x past the cat, this will not be good for my wallet i'm sure.

Last edited by snotf; 10-04-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:27 PM
snotf... stock for stock, every single year.. the coupe was slower than the sedan.. as far as starting on your exhaust i dont think you have anything to worry about.. i have an X, and im about to finish up a custom exhaust... and a tune.. get some more power and a nicer deeper note to the car.. and as far as the coupe being slower and not making any sense, it kind of does. Correct me if im wrong.. but from what i read since the coupe is shorter it needed extra plating for joints and connections underneath the car.. these points where the extra plating was added it really took a toll on the car. i might be wrong, but i do remember reading up on it.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by snotf
this is a really good thread... very informative, i've been hesitant to start on any exhaust work cause of having an x myself. curious about that graph, according to the data there, the coupe and the sedan appear to have the same engine but with different numbers, which i get, but the sedan numbers are lower, i assume the sedan weighs a good amount more than the coupe, and yet ive heard from numerous sources that the sedan is faster than the coupe... which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

in any case i'm glad to see that there are options for the x past the cat, this will not be good for my wallet i'm sure.
Coupes are heavier, thus making them slower. The numbers you read mean nothing, they all dyno around the same on the same dyno. Rev-up engines make a bit more on a dyno though.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:42 PM
surprised to hear that the coupe is heavier, it kind of negates common sense. anyways, end threadjack//:

Old 10-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
surprised to hear that the coupe is heavier, it kind of negates common sense. anyways, end threadjack//:

They're about 60lbs heavier due to the additional crash reinforcement in the large door area.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:14 PM
okay, but 60lbs wouldn't slow the car down THAT much. not when(according to that chart) the sedan is rated to have only 261bhp and the coupe is rated to have 282bhp... as i stated, if that chart is to be believed, then the sedan should be slower, right?
shrugs

Old 10-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
okay, but 60lbs wouldn't slow the car down THAT much. not when(according to that chart) the sedan is rated to have only 261bhp and the coupe is rated to have 282bhp... as i stated, if that chart is to be believed, then the sedan should be slower, right?
shrugs
proof of so called chart.

i never seen 261 or 282. i've seen 260 and 280. also the HP rating system did change a somewhere during the years as well. IE a 200hp engine rated in 2001 can be 210hp or 190hp in 2002. all pending on how the makers orginally rated it. Dyno number show engines rated at 260hp and 280hp to be within a few whp of each other at peak. couple of threads stated that.

a rule of thumb i was told to go by was if you shave 100lbs off your car it is equal to .1 in 1/4 mile racing. Nothing crazy so some but all of the world to bench racing freaks. like the ones that care about if a sedan is faster then a coupe or not...

Old 10-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
shrugs
The 03/04 sedans were rated at 260hp, but lots of dynos and 1/4 mile timeslips have shown that the 03/04 sedan was underrated and actually making the same power as the 280hp coupe.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:31 AM
well i when i lined up against a couple of coupes i havent lost.. ended pulling on them end of 3rd.. only 03-06 coupes though.. even when i was stock for stock

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for Y pipe on 06 sedan