G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Quick 5AT question about tiptronic???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 01:36 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Don't worry about overusing shift. Or even Shift_
I'm just happy to get through a post without using hella... ah crap!

Old 10-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
It's an automatic transmission with a torque converter. It will never be instant. There's a lot that has to happen before a gear engaged. Not even sequential manuals shift instantly.

Much of the reason people think the automatic upshifts and downshifts are slow is because it's one simple flick. With a true manual, it's far more involved and most manual drivers would be hard pressed to match the shift speed of the 5AT in the G/Z. I'll agree, sometimes the 5AT will second guess your intentions, but it's still the best manumatic auto I've even driven and I rent tons of cars/trucks/SUVs for work.
I dunno...the Pontiac Grand Prix I had would shift pretty much instantly when I would move the lever from 1 to 2 and so on. Heck, the GP even in auto mode would downshift pretty quick when going wot, unlike the G.

I've had 4 automatic GM cars and 2 automatic G35's and the G35's shift much slower than the GM cars ( one of the GM cars was a cavalier..lol ).

Old 10-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey hey.. the GM Lebron is no car to mess with.. my friend has got a 1994 with only 23K on it... haha but he replaced the tranny already.. and yes 23,000 miles... not 230,000.. it was stored in a warehouse

Old 10-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by GT-ER
I dunno...the Pontiac Grand Prix I had would shift pretty much instantly when I would move the lever from 1 to 2 and so on. Heck, the GP even in auto mode would downshift pretty quick when going wot, unlike the G.

I've had 4 automatic GM cars and 2 automatic G35's and the G35's shift much slower than the GM cars ( one of the GM cars was a cavalier..lol ).
Upgrade the valve body and you will see much improved shifts.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
Upgrade the valve body and you will see much improved shifts.
I've read about this but have had my doubts as to how much it helped. When I had my GP I altered the accumulator to make shifts hard as hell but to make them even quicker was via the ECU reprogramming. I don't know how that compares to the re5r05a.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
I've read about this but have had my doubts as to how much it helped. When I had my GP I altered the accumulator to make shifts hard as hell but to make them even quicker was via the ECU reprogramming. I don't know how that compares to the re5r05a.
There are boatloads of positive reviews for the Transgo VB... I've driven 2 G35s with Stillen VB (dsskyline and DaveO), both shifted way better/faster than my car... Derek (dsskyline) has since gone with transgo - I've haven’t driven his car since the transgo vb, but he says it’s even better than Stillen... so yes, I can assure you it’s worthwhile. The problem is (for me) finding someone to install the kit (not than VB itself, but the shift kit into the VB) for a reasonable price has been difficult... now that Corner 3 is doing it for a fair price, I might consider it.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I wish someone would come up with TCM programming but it seems that the valve body mods have been good. I hope someone chimes in with a very detailed transgo review. I'd like faster shifting but not harsh when I have to daily commute on it.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too agree that VB don't really change the speed at which transmission shifts based on my own experience. GTM installed my VB (a transgo kit) on my 04 sedan during my supercharger installation. I don't feel it shift any faster or slower (about the same), perhaps just firmer shift.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DGS
DaveB is exactly right.

BUT with the right mods, proper grounding kit and a sprint booster, you can have shifts that are pretty much right when you throw it. Those mods will actually make your shifts quite a bit quicker than any 6mt. I don't care if your flash gordon you want shift as fast and as clean as an auto with shift mods.

Too much use of the word shift in that post, I reread twice to make sure I didn't say quick ****.
Elaborate on why you think the Sprint Booster improves shift response/speed. I've heard this before on the TL forums, I believe. I will be getting the Technosquare ECU flash which will improve throttle response a bit, so the booster might be overkill for me.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I thought my car downshift when flooring it in 5th and it doesnt, the rpms just rise slowly. I was wrong.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
IMHO, the sprint booster alters the gas pedal position map so if any of the auto tranny up/down shifts are related to this position, it will too be affected. I've also read that this device also defeats the down shift safety feature so you can actually downshift into an unsafe gear. ie.. downshift into 2nd gear while going too fast.

The TC ecu also alters this map from what I read but doesn't have the liability of taking the downshift safety factor out(I assume). Probably because it's done on the ecu level vs at the sensor level.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by GGGGGGGG
I too agree that VB don't really change the speed at which transmission shifts based on my own experience. GTM installed my VB (a transgo kit) on my 04 sedan during my supercharger installation. I don't feel it shift any faster or slower (about the same), perhaps just firmer shift.
See...this is what I mean.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Those autos you speak of are tall geared 4ATs. My 94 Z28 4AT was the same way. GM does make a really good auto; however, the G has a fairly deeply geared 5AT. Let me explain. With the additional gears and gearing, the shift programming is such that the TCM/ECU needs to determine the correct gear for the situation as to not overload the chassis, much less most drivers. That means taking into account throttle position, braking, g-load, vehicle position, etc. I've rented quite a few of the newer GM models with the 6ATs and those trannies are far less responsive than the old 4ATs or even the JATCO 5AT. Manual upshifts and downshifts are lazy because the tranny has to do a lot of deciding with regards to the right gear for the moment. With that said though, those 6ATs are well geared and make cars like the I4 Malibu quite nice driving cars assuming you're not in manual mode.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
Those autos you speak of are tall geared 4ATs. My 94 Z28 4AT was the same way. GM does make a really good auto; however, the G has a fairly deeply geared 5AT. Let me explain. With the additional gears and gearing, the shift programming is such that the TCM/ECU needs to determine the correct gear for the situation as to not overload the chassis, much less most drivers. That means taking into account throttle position, braking, g-load, vehicle position, etc. I've rented quite a few of the newer GM models with the 6ATs and those trannies are far less responsive than the old 4ATs or even the JATCO 5AT. Manual upshifts and downshifts are lazy because the tranny has to do a lot of deciding with regards to the right gear for the moment. With that said though, those 6ATs are well geared and make cars like the I4 Malibu quite nice driving cars assuming you're not in manual mode.
Makes sense I guess...

Old 10-07-2009, 11:21 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
On the subject of the new GM 6AT. IDK about the one in the cars, but the 6AT for RWD applications was co-developed with Ford and the Ford has quite different shift logic, even though the transmission is the same.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Quick 5AT question about tiptronic???