G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Interior Swap.. need some opinions and advice..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2009 | 03:50 PM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
Odd, I want to go from my all black to a tan / black combo. But not like the pic. I'd keep the upper dash black and the carpet dark grey (or maybe dye it black) and replace the seats, door panels (paint the upper door panel black) and the lower dash pieces

Old 11-17-2009 | 07:34 PM
|
Send over your parts !!! haha I do like that pic posted, but its still too tan for me... plus im doing the whole white and black theme, so i wanna get rid of that tan all together.

Old 11-17-2009 | 11:49 PM
This guy has a lot of black interior stuff, I just bought a fender from him last week, good guy and shipped right away http://stores.ebay.com/WillsWildHare...&submit=Search

Old 11-18-2009 | 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
i'm happy with my stone, all i want is BLACK carpet. if someone knows a cheap place to get newblack carpet i woud be all over it
Just go to Joanne fabrics, buy a bottle of black dye.

Old 11-18-2009 | 12:04 AM
? = 2B || !2B
Premier Member
Originally Posted by HwyDrftr
This guy has a lot of black interior stuff, I just bought a fender from him last week, good guy and shipped right away http://stores.ebay.com/WillsWildHare...&submit=Search
I got some parts from the same people a while back. At first what they sent was for the wrong year, but they made it right and paid return shipping too.

Old 11-18-2009 | 01:57 AM
I say get it done custom, if you've got the cash for FI I am sure you can put some money out for the interior.

Get the dash rewrapped in a new vinyl or suede, buy a need steering wheel from the junkyard or dye it, replace the seats with coupe seats or get them rewrapped and rebolstered. Dye the carpet, easy job..... well you know what I mean.

I would say total cost from a good shop, $1000 before supplies.

Old 11-18-2009 | 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by G35xChicago
Just go to Joanne fabrics, buy a bottle of black dye.
i rather buy REAL black carpet.

Old 11-18-2009 | 06:30 PM
|
Originally Posted by 4DGS
I say get it done custom, if you've got the cash for FI I am sure you can put some money out for the interior.

Get the dash rewrapped in a new vinyl or suede, buy a need steering wheel from the junkyard or dye it, replace the seats with coupe seats or get them rewrapped and rebolstered. Dye the carpet, easy job..... well you know what I mean.

I would say total cost from a good shop, $1000 before supplies.
Your right, thing is, is im trying to save for the FI, and while doing that i figured i could pick up interior parts here and there.. but if that doesn't work out i will do exactly that you said.. probably not use dye, just cause i want a good finish looking project car.. im planning on using it for a weekend car after FI and interior.. i have my eyes set on the audi s5 for a DD

Old 11-19-2009 | 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
i rather buy REAL black carpet.

+1

Dying or painting interior parts just seems...cheap

Old 11-19-2009 | 10:15 AM
? = 2B || !2B
Premier Member
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
+1

Dying or painting interior parts just seems...cheap
Not if you do it right... trouble is, about 90% of the time, people don't do it right.

Old 11-20-2009 | 12:44 AM
Don't do it! Usually I am not one for the tan interior, but in this case I think it compliments your theme. The matching interior will make it a domino. Just an opinion though.

Old 11-20-2009 | 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by nfsp1
Not if you do it right... trouble is, about 90% of the time, people don't do it right.
Exactly.

I've seen cars where the interior is dyed/painted black, but the original color is coming through in high wear areas.

Old 11-21-2009 | 11:29 AM
|
+^... when it comes to interior that gets used alot... i would def buy black.. dying could be done "right", but the time and effort it would take i rather spend on a new carpet..

Old 11-21-2009 | 12:48 PM
? = 2B || !2B
Premier Member
^ oh yeah, buy black carpet for sure. (Dying carpet wasn't what I was talking about) anything that gets as much wear as carpet shouldn't be dyed unless you're dying it the same color to correct fading, and even then, if it's not too expensive, just replace it. I've painted some of my interior parts in the G satin black (instead of that dumb aluminum color Nissan uses) the trick in keeping it from wearing off is prep and choosing the right paint. The only time I've ever used a bright color in the interior was in my 94 Trans-Am, I colormatched a few select parts bright red. Nobody ever told me it looked ricy and I liked it, but it's not something I would do with a G, especially a sedan.

Old 11-21-2009 | 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by nfsp1
yeah... and dying it with a bottle of RIT isn't the right way to do it. i dyed and painted my whole interior on my old b-body. it was a huge pain in the ***, but because i was swapping in a bonneville interior i had to do it(the color codes don't quite match up). anyways, i've seen the results after 2-3 years of a RIT job, and that of a high quality industrial dye. the problem with RIT is that it's diluted and you can't control whether certain portions of the water might have more dye in it than others. and you REALLY dont want to see what happens when you don't dilute.
the other big problem that leads to light spots in peoples jobs is dirt under the dye or paint prevent proper adhesion. i can't begin to count the number of hours i spent scrubbing the interior of a 13 year old car.
in any case, i think leatherseats.com was the site that my friend used for his maxima... and they produced a surprisingly high quality product... may be worth checking out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Interior Swap.. need some opinions and advice..