G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Heater blows cold air at stop lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post at the dealer now.

Im back at the Infinit dealership as I type this. I want to take the time to refresh what we are all talking about.

I first had this issue about two months ago and I was surprised however I was more afraid that I might have had a serious issue that could cost me quite a bit of money - that I dont have.

I took the car right away to the Infinit dealership closest to my home and said that if there was anything that was going to be fixed it was going to be done here at the dealership. Who more than to trust than the experts right?

So the first time there I explained to the service guy what issue I was experiencing and that was -- My car has heat but it cools down if I am stopped or idle. My car does not overheat and it does not run cool. The car runs great in fact the issue is just crazy to me. I brought up the fact that I hear the coolant flow through the tubing when I get into it and start it. It bubbles through as I hit the gas and then as the engine begins to warm up I can feel the heat kick in.

The dealer decided the best move of attack would be to flush the coolant out of the sytem and then refill the system in which by doing so they would remove any air pockets or bubbles inside the system. I had faith that this operation would be successful in fixing the situation and agreed to pay the cost of the work. As I waited for them to do the work on the car I remember coming back onto the foums to check to seethe replies of anyone on here that was having th same issue.

I read what everyone had replie and continued waiting to see what the outcome was going to be here. I came back online and explained my results. They had finished working on the car and I checked to see if the heat was working at idle and it seemed to be fine so I left the dealer thinking that it was fixed and my worries were over.

I drove the car for about 2 days until I noticed that the issue was back again. the heat in the car was coming back out cool again and I had to rev the motor in ordre for me to have any decent heat tempature. I took the time to get back on the forums only to come and report he bad news and ask for more help. my only option of course was to take it back to the dealership because I had already had paid for the work to be done and was not giving out donations to the dealership for the holidays.. I NEED MY HEAT WORKING!

I live in Chicago incase no one tended to notice that by reading the side window of my profile. It has been as cold as ice out here with tempatures reaching as low as 7 degrees farenheit. well i was asking my self is this he reason to why my car does not produce heat. until i stepped into my friends 91 civic and it was hotter than Mexico in that thing and i could not beleive it was true. I had an 8000 dollar car producing heat constantly at idle speeds and i had my 36000 dollar car cranking out cold to near freezing temps. i as outraged.

I took the car back to the dealership at about 6:30 am. and was the first and only person there at the dealership waiting for work to be done. now i dont want to get into to much detail about what the service man told me on the morning i returned but it was close to the lines of. "we need to make an appointment" - i told hom that was b.s. and I didnt come for that.

LONG STORY SHORT. They did the flush fill over again.
I drove the car for maybe 3 4 days until I noticed the same dsituation was reoccuring once more and that time was the start of the holidays and then could not bring the car back until today. which now of course i cant wait to see what happens with the experts this time. because I know that I cant afford any miraculos expensive work to have done on my car and would be very upset to hear that something more serious is wrong with my car that i may or may not be able to afford.

Here I am stilll waiting and my fingers are starting to cramp up typing on my HTC DASH - hahahahaha! but i had to do something to pass the time in here. the tv has on some horrible talk morning show with all big mouths and i dont have time to listen to that bulls...

Ill let you all know what is happening when i leave here right away without hesitation to the situation because i want to see if this heat is going to work or if its going to flop again

God help me please...

Old 01-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 for heater not heating during idle. It kind of defeats the whole purpose of remote start :/. I will try this fix this weekend, thanks all!

Old 01-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
I had my mechanic bleed the coolant lines, and noticed a couple days later the heat is still not 100%. I bleed the lines again and still have problems. I think I have the same situation as you, joealbergo, so let me know how it goes at the dealership.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:22 PM
I posted a couple of weeks ago about cold air also coming in. I had a coolant flush and that seemed to fix the problem. However, I also replaced my head unit since the A/C was kicking on and my CD changer was busted. While the problem wasn't constant, I ordered the JDM head unit and had best buy install a new radio. Since then, no issues with the head unit. Unfortunately, my cold air problem came back. I am going to bleed out some air and see if that cures the problem. I'll report back.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:07 AM
Mine has been blowing cool air lately too. I'm going to try this soon.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:32 AM
So far so good - they did the flush again and I am having great heat.

Let's see how long it lasts..

Old 01-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a 03 coupe and when you put the heater on all the way (the fan) it blows cold air , but when you put it like 2 notch it blow hot air. Any suggestion what the problem is ? thanks

Old 01-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could there be a vacuum leak? Though if that was possible I would have expected the experienced service people to look at it. Just that with the engine running slower cold returns.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
vacuum leak won't cause that

you need to bleed the air out of the system still. There is an air bubble trapped. Try opening the bleeder valve (passenger side by battery) while the engine is running at full temp. Open it VERY slowly, just to the point that you can hear air come out. When you hear the air stop coming out and coolant starting to bubble out then close it.

Try it a few times. It solved all the issues we had with my friends Z after we installed his crawford headers.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:15 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nobody mentioned the T-stat, it's this little thing which open and closes coolant to the radiator to regulate the engine coolant temperature. Engine coolant is also used to heat up the passenger compartment. Nobody around here seems to accept the fact that T- stats do fail every once in a while, if flushing and bleeding didn't work the first or second time why not try something else? I wouldn't think that infinity is so stupid to design a cooling system that is so badly designed as of to need to be re bleed every couple of weeks.

My G35's heating was also cooling off substantially when idling in -30c temp, t-stat got changed, problem solved.

The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (12-18-2020)
Old 08-16-2010, 08:22 PM
did anybody find a fix for this?????? ....sorry to open up such a old thread

Old 08-17-2010, 08:37 AM
Thumbs up Don't be sorry -

That is the point of having threads.

Each person had different issues I think through-out the thread.

We looked at a few things.

Thermostat
Coolant (Bubbles or Pockets of Air)
A/C Control Electrical
Radiator
Heater Core

My issue was that it took the Infiniti dealership by my house 3 times to flush/refill my coolant properly before they were rid of all the air in the system.

Once they did that - I never had the issue again through the winter last year.

So far so good - hit me back and let me know what's going on with your side.

Give me details...

See ya bud

Old 08-17-2010, 03:22 PM
well i never done a flush/refill i always just checke to c if i had enough coolant in the radiator and the backup little platic bottle thing ..even added a little aF

also just last night i turned my car on and put the heater on full blast and waited till the car was at a normal temp and went and unscrewed the air release holes next to the battery and only steam came out and a solid drip ...so i figure no air in the system .....now im thinking i should just flush my system ,but i cant afford a proffesional so i dont know what to do

and my car is a 2003 just hit 81k dont really know if the antifreeze has been flushed ever !! im kinda scared im goin to make it worst if anything if i flush the system my self

Old 08-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Arrow Well...

I would have to say that I would not do this on my own.

Coolant costs money and these motors have a lot of "pockets" in the block that must be filled with Coolant.

There are people on the thread that do this themselves but they have experience in doing so or at least the know-how to do it successfully.

It's your call...

Old 08-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
i think the thing is that you have to constantly top off the radiator/reservoir every morning for a week or two after a coolant change/flush..
my car didn't overheat or anything, but i couldn't believe how much the coolant level drops after a coolant change and then few cycles...
after a week or so.. the level was steady.. and everything seems good..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Heater blows cold air at stop lights