G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

I killed her!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I killed her!

I've had Oil Consumption problems with the G for like 3 years - I check her oil everyother day if I'm just commuting longer distances sometimes mulitple times in a day.

Here's the story:

Driving home from work last nite on the LIE I notice when I brake the red oil can light comes on, Impossible how do I not have oil.

I get her pulled over in a gas station as quickly as possible (realistically it was 5 mins of cursing because of traffic) I probably did serious damage their. Went and got 4 quarts of Mobile 1. checked her oil - the dipstick wasn't dry. This confused the **** out of me because I expected it to be dry checked it 3 times still had oil all over it though it was a little low. I put in 2 quarts ran her for 5 mins. checked it again oil was fine. So wierd because I heard the light only comes on when you have almost no oil in the pan. checking her oil at night with out a flashlight is nearly impossible.

I get home about 15 miles - (looking back should of had her towed).

In the drive way I notice the oil light is on again impossible. I let her sit overnight check the oil its high on the dipstick probably a .5 to full quart over filled (which I'm sure isn't good either). I let it run for 15 mins don't hear any knocking. I start driving and I know a heatshield broke the other day I have a few pieces that I was able to cut off. I heard a small vibration sound but figured it was from that boy was I wrong. 10 miles down the road the car starts hesitating, knocking was very apparent, and poof grey smoke out the exhaust.

Welcome to my Christmas - at least I was lucky enough to be 5 miles away from Vinny at Vinny Ten Racing.

The G is there now so lets see how bad she is...

Old 12-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dang.. GL with everything!!

Old 12-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Light goes on because I believe it's an oil pressure sensor and not an oil level sensor. Just so happens that when the oil level is low, pressure also falls, thus the light.

But if you have damaged the motor and the oil pressure is bad, then the light will go on even if you have oil in the pan. (because your clearances are probably shot to hell and the oil pump probably can't maintain pressure. Or you ran a bunch of junk though the oil pump and screwed that up)

Good luck in getting it solved. Hopefully you can get a low miler used motor put in for cheap

Old 12-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Dang that sucks. Good luck!

Old 12-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
If it was up to me, every car manufactured would have a OIL! light that comes on when the pressure is to low AND when the amount of oil in the pan is too low.

Having it come on when the pressure drops is kinda too little too late. Would be nice to know instantly when you are 1.5 quarts low.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
^ a lot of people treat that oil light as a reminder for an oil change rather then low pressure. I truly hate that but at times its too much trouble to explain to them why that is, as more questions follows and in many cases their cars are like sub 3k cars.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
If it was up to me, every car manufactured would have a OIL! light that comes on when the pressure is to low AND when the amount of oil in the pan is too low.

Having it come on when the pressure drops is kinda too little too late. Would be nice to know instantly when you are 1.5 quarts low.
I currently own a FORD that has two oil lights. A yellow one for oil level and a red one for oil pressure.

Best of luck to the OP... sounds like a motor replacement is necessary.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man that sucks, hope it does not have any damage to it.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:13 PM
Their is definitely damage because she doesnt turn over. you'd imagine in instances when the car detects oil pressure issues you would think that would be an instance to throw a CEL and go into a safe mode.

The strange thing is though is the oil light was only coming on during braking it was never just fully lite I guess it was just at the threshold.

I'll keep you guys posted,

Old 12-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had similiar issue happen in my Audi. There is a tube that lets the oil come up from the oil pan up to the upper part of the engine. I was driving one night, and my oil sensor light went off. It was night time and no flashlight so I stopped and had my buddy bring me some oil (thinking it was low). Filled her up with extra 5 quarts (NOT GOOD), started her and still hesitated and the light would not go off. I had the car towed and then towed to the shop next day. Sludge plugged up the tube, restricting the oil to come up, cause the light to go off. Not sure if that is the same structure as the Audi engine but sounds similar. Good Luck

Old 12-24-2009, 12:02 AM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by 350orG
Their is definitely damage because she doesnt turn over. you'd imagine in instances when the car detects oil pressure issues you would think that would be an instance to throw a CEL and go into a safe mode.

The strange thing is though is the oil light was only coming on during braking it was never just fully lite I guess it was just at the threshold.

I'll keep you guys posted,
No CEL because there was no faulty sensor with an out of range voltage/resistance etc.

Oil light was coming on when braking probably because your foot was off the gas and the oil pump was moving at it's slowest rate. (guess)

Old 12-24-2009, 12:41 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by lox1985
I had similiar issue happen in my Audi. There is a tube that lets the oil come up from the oil pan up to the upper part of the engine. I was driving one night, and my oil sensor light went off. It was night time and no flashlight so I stopped and had my buddy bring me some oil (thinking it was low). Filled her up with extra 5 quarts (NOT GOOD), started her and still hesitated and the light would not go off. I had the car towed and then towed to the shop next day. Sludge plugged up the tube, restricting the oil to come up, cause the light to go off. Not sure if that is the same structure as the Audi engine but sounds similar. Good Luck
Audi's are known to have sludge issues...

Haven't seen any G's with that issue yet.

Good luck OP, hope that everything goes well. I'm sure that its gonna cost you, unfortunately.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
Audi's are known to have sludge issues...

Haven't seen any G's with that issue yet.

Good luck OP, hope that everything goes well. I'm sure that its gonna cost you, unfortunately.
audi and vw but more of a concern in the passat/a4 lineup in the b5/b6 generation due to their longitudnal setup as opposed to golf/jettas which were transverse.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:03 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
So I guess the oil light on our cars doesn't mean "hey, you're low on oil or the pressure isn't quite right, you may want to check on that"
but instead it means "pull over and kill the engine in the next 10 seconds... now would be a good time to panic"
Fantastic... don't give us an Oil Pressure gauge, just a light to tell us when it's too late, good thinking Nissan.

OP, hope you get a good deal on a new engine, and sorry it happened.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Red Card Crew

If the OP had oil consumption problems for years, he probably has been damaging the motor all this time. This was the last straw.

Hopefully he can pick up another good used motor for maybe $800 and have in installed for another grand or less

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I killed her!