G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Questions about aftermarket parts and insurance answered..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 04:45 PM
Cat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tragedycat
Thanks Cat for the post, it was very informative. Could you look at my situation for me if you have time?

I was recently in an accident where somebody totaled my car. I was able to get the big ticket items that weren't damaged off of my car, but I was out of luck for my aftermarket suspension components and sideskirts. As well as all the paintwork for my body parts. All of this totaled to be at least $2500 worth of parts/labor.

Long story short, the guy who hit me had State Farm and they offered me what I considered to be a fair price. I asked them about my aftermarket stuff and they told me to take it off and sell it on Ebay as my best bet. I'm in professional school and I don't have time to be doing that. They would not budge on giving me more $$ for my aftermarket parts and because some parts I had bought private party and didn't have a receipt, I just went ahead and accepted the settlement.

Now, they paid me more than what I could've got for it had I tried to sell it myself. And I was able to find a newer car with lower mileage and still have a good chunk of settlement money left over, however I will eat about $1500 to get my car back to where it was before the accident.

Is there any way I could have better handled the situation?

Thanks for any input you may have.

well, state farm is right. You will get the most money back by taking the parts off and selling them. Which is why I say to keep OEM parts in case this happens. I know you might not have as much time to do this, but really it is the best thing to re-coop the money spent on the a/m parts. Plus, like others have mentioned even if the accident wasn't your fault, they are not going to look at the a/m items.

considering you got into a newer car, with less miles WITH money left over from the settlement (without the a/m items taken into consideration) you got out good.. :0)

An example for some of these items are why you want to get an additional endorsement if you expect to be reimbursed. See, a/m items are personal preference. Just because you put XX into it doesn't mean your vehicle value has been raised that amount. (This is why you see most people part their cars out before selling, b/c this is how you get back some of what you put in) You bought suspension for your car, BUT you took off the OEM suspension which still has value. SO in retrospect you haven't ENHANCED the value by much, or at all. (OEM parts from dealerships, although not as cool, are expensive) So you took off OEM suspension worth XX and put on a/m suspension worth XX. Do you follow? Yes, I know the a/m suspension is better, I am just explaining the thought process. You also know you couldn't have sold your car for more than the settlement as well, so you got more than what the vehicle was worth if you were to sell it. Labor $$ is just something you are going to lose when installing parts.

This is why it isn't worth getting additional endorsements, because most of the a/m items you get will only be taken into consideration in EXCESS of the OEM product you removed. Unless you are wanting to cover a full turbo kit, which will raise your rates or make you more high risk.. it might not be worth it. Up to you.

I still mod my car! Cause it is my preference and I enjoy this hobby. But it isn't cheap!! I know I run the risk of losing money if I am in a wreck, but hope I can take off the parts and sell them individually.

bottom line, it is best to remove any a/m parts from your car in a total loss and put back the OEM. This will help you get the most out of it. Unfortunately, most vehicles depreciate, as do used a/m parts...

you bought those parts private party, but I'm sure you know the exact model specs they were. you could have gone on line and provided them the info and price they were at new purchase. PM a vendor that sold that part and get a quote as well to show them this is exactly what you had and this was the price to buy it.. But most of the time, insurance wants receipts..

Last edited by Cat; 01-31-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:53 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Great info, Thanks