G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

I think my motor seized up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think my motor seized up

So I was installing my kinetix manifold the other day I thought i had everything all hooked up right and everything bolted down correctly I started the car and when it started it almost sounded like too much air was coming up from the cylinders. I know that this manifold lets alot of air threw but damn, so i cut it off, got out the car and started to double check everything. Everything seemed to be ok so i started it up again, now the motor is making a loud whoooshing sound like before along with a loud clack clack clack sound as it running so again i cut it off really quick. After staring at the engine for about 20 minutes i gave up and went in the house. I come back out to the garage yesterday and start double and triple checking everything in the engine along with my lab top by my side online reading about how to install and all types of **** like that. So i go to start it yet again i put the keys in and turn the key the engine makes a big BANG and the whole car shakes so i cut it off right away. I thought it was backfire in the manifold so i get out and check it, again nothing seems to be outta place. So one last time i go to start it and nothing happens,it makes a quick nose like it wants to turn over then nothing. Only thing i can think of is MAYBE i dropped like a washer or something down inside when i was taking off the old plenum or putting on the kinetix. I have no idea what to do,i think the crank is seized or something it just really sucks cause not only is this my DD this is my favorite car ive ever owned. So i guess i need a new engine.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
*note to self - when car makes extremely unusual sounds, don't keep starting it over and over without making changes.

as to answer for your problem OP, it is literally impossible to tell over the internet... even when/if you get a bunch of different ideas - there is no way to know without actually checking out the car... tow it to trusted shop, or get someone to come look at it... you wont find a definitive answer this way (on the forum)

Old 02-21-2010, 01:49 PM
<--12 More Years

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn, think drop a washer or something. ouch!!! Hopefully you find he answer to what it was, and if you need a new engine check out my for sale thread.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
ill give you 20 bucks for that kinetix that you now have no use for.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:56 PM
hey redg i actually did leave a post on your fs engine, I know its almost impossible to tell about the engine being seized i was just kinda letting out some frustration thats all

Old 02-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Sounds like you dropped a bolt, or nut in there and you probably threw a rod or destroyed a piston as a result.. I really don't understand why you kept starting it up. The first time was indication something was wrong.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
This is the reason why I rather pay someone to do it, too much stress for me.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by STCLAIRWEST
This is the reason why I rather pay someone to do it, too much stress for me.
+1 I do most of my own work but if I didn't or don't know what I am doing I get help. I have been doing alot of surfing on this forum the last few days and people that have no clue WTF they are doing seem to be trying and failing at DIY. If you have no clue what your doing try to find a buddy or a local G35 guy to come lend a hand. The $100 saved by trying to DIY install the intake won't go very far towards a new engine.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
+1

i do my own work because i know i can do it and do it right. But when in doubt i have no problems sending it somewhere... I'm all for DIY type of guys but not everyone is one.

I still think you didn't tighten everything and reconnected everything. Car running rough might be due to your leaving a big air leak somewhere there for it will misfire and die out. Lets just hope its that. Get it towed to a place and let me sort it out ASAP. Dont do ANYTHING anymore.

This tells me a lot about your understandings of engines. You put on a intake manifold and think your crank seized up. This can happen but that is a LONG LONG way for it to travel. The fact that you dont know if you dropped a washer in there or not also tells me you shouldn't of done this.

If you dropped a bolt somewhere down your intake manifold you most likely damaged the upper part of your engine and not the bottom. mainly valves and piston tops. The crank is safe for the most part.

Good luck and i hope its what i said and you just didn't tighten everything up correctly or you forgot to plug back in the MAF or something small.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:32 AM
Just want to let everyone know that i fixed my problem. I tore apart the top part of my motor and nothing was wrong. I turned the crank and everything was fine. I got a new starter and it fired up, I took it for a drive and it was fine, thanks for everyones opinions

Old 02-22-2010, 06:57 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
so you took everything back off and put it back on.. and now the car runs like it should.

you bought a new starter as well....

Old 02-22-2010, 07:14 AM
Oddly enough yep...pretty much exactly what happen. Believe me man I'm just happy the last like 3 days with this car are over, but she runs fine now so I'm thankful

Old 02-22-2010, 07:55 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
nice.

Good to hear that is was just a scare and nothing more serious.

Did you test your old starter, is it dead? Or is it just as good as the one you bought and problem might be hiding somewhere else?

Old 02-22-2010, 08:06 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Well glad it worked out for you. i'm curious to though as to what happened though

Old 02-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
no offense, but none of this makes any sense...

the starter would not have caused what was described... typically a starter gives and indication that it is failing (at least on other cars I've had)... I suppose it could have all of the sudden not worked - but that still doesn't explain the clanking, banging, are whatever was going on initially...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I think my motor seized up