G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Help -- Hood paint and Door rust!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help -- Hood paint and Door rust!!

I have 03 Infiniti G35 Sedan. Brillaint Silver. I bought this in Nov'08 for 12 grand, when it has 57k miles on it. i had it checked at the Auto centre and everything was OK. Carfax didn't show any front end collison or for that matter, it has clean record.

Last Year, when I took it to the detailing store, he mentioned that doubt the hood and fenders are painted.

A week back, I see the paint on the hood fading and also some rust on the drivers side door edges. Took it to detailing shop again and he advised, the hod may need to be repainted.

When had this checked at the collison centre, he said, hood might have been repainted and he determine if the hood needs painting, by checking it by applying some compound and buffing to the effected area. He said if it has to be repainted, it would cost me around $800 since the fenders also need to be painted as they are close to hood.

Here are crappy iphone pictures. Please advice. If I go with new hood how much would it cost? I see hoods for $400. Are they crap?

There is rust on the bottom of the driver's side door, which caused the weather strip to peel away and I was told this was irrepairable.

Last edited by Madhu; 05-04-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That door is repairable. It'll need to be sanded and repainted. Doesn't appear to have eaten through the metal. make sure you take the weather-strip piece off and check the inside of the door; there's likely rust there as well. I had similar rust on my rear passenger door, and had it repainted.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think infiniti has a recall for rusty door jams, not sure if this is what's covered, or if yours is out of that recall warranty but you might want to check

Old 05-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by elayman
I think infiniti has a recall for rusty door jams, not sure if this is what's covered, or if yours is out of that recall warranty but you might want to check

I searched on google, and didn't find any information. I will call Infiniti and verify that.

If you have any information reagrding this please dont mind sending it to me.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by kvangil
That door is repairable. It'll need to be sanded and repainted. Doesn't appear to have eaten through the metal. make sure you take the weather-strip piece off and check the inside of the door; there's likely rust there as well. I had similar rust on my rear passenger door, and had it repainted.

You mean to say, the entire door needs to be repainted, or just the spot painting will do, as the weater strip will cover it up.

Do you know how much the weather strip costs, one of the dealer quoted me $250.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Honestly, sand the door yourself, protect it and paint it and put the weather strip back on. very simple. I had the same issue.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by azt108
Honestly, sand the door yourself, protect it and paint it and put the weather strip back on. very simple. I had the same issue.
Thank you. WIll try it. Not sure, why the body shop guy said, it irrepairable.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:14 PM
If you want it "perfect" then you'd want to repaint the whole door professionally. You may be able to get away with DIY sanding and repainting that small section if you block everything off well so you don't get any overspray on the rest of the door; that way your paint area is as small as possible. The weather stripping won't cover the whole area though, so you may be able to tell where it was repainted. GL

Old 05-05-2010, 06:43 PM
If you want it "perfect" then you'd want to repaint the whole door professionally. You may be able to get away with DIY sanding and repainting that small section if you block everything off well so you don't get any overspray on the rest of the door; that way your paint area is as small as possible. The weather stripping won't cover the whole area though, so you may be able to tell where it was repainted. GL
Thank you

Old 05-05-2010, 06:44 PM
have been at the paint and body shop today and he quoted $600 for the hood to get repainted.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:47 PM
That sounds about right. I'd still get a few quotes and shop around. BTW, I had my front bumper, rear bumper, and rear passenger door repainted for $700 at a local shop.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:57 AM
That sounds about right. I'd still get a few quotes and shop around. BTW, I had my front bumper, rear bumper, and rear passenger door repainted for $700 at a local shop.
Thats a good deal, but do they provide any waranty. This Guy, I spoke to, said, all his work is life time warranty

Old 05-06-2010, 01:51 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Heres something I found on a quick search that might be able to help. Worth checking it out and taking it to infiniti to see if the area ure being affected on is covered under that warranty.

Dear Infiniti Owner,

At Infiniti, we are committed to providing the highest levels of product quality and customer satisfaction. We appreciate your purchase of the Infiniti G35 Sedan, a vehicle designed to meet your driving needs and engineered to be not only practical, but stylish and innovative as well. We have become aware, however, that some customers may have experienced some degree of perforation due to corrosion in the door sash area.

What Infiniti Will Do

To insure the highest levels of customer satisfaction Infiniti is pleased to extend the warranty period for corrosion coverage by 3 years as it applies to perforation due to corrosion of the door and frame, extending this coverage from 7 years unlimited miles to 10 years unlimited miles.

What You Should Do

Place the sticker included with this letter on the cover of your Infiniti Warranty information Booklet to remind you of the warranty extension, should you ever need to use it. No further action is required.

If you detect any perforation due to corrosion in the door area as described above at any time within the warranty coverage period, contact your Infiniti dealer to schedule an appointment.

Please accept this warranty extension as proof of how highly Infiniti values your business and of our commitment to your ongoing satisfaction and driving pleasure.

If you have any questions about the warranty extension, please feel free to call Infiniti Consumer Affairs at 1-800-662-6200.

NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.
INFINITI DIVISION

& Heres a thread with pics & people that had the same issue as you and doors were replaced under warranty https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ust-doors.html

Hope it helps!

Old 05-06-2010, 03:53 AM
Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts
i think ur good, still got 10 years from build date..

Old 05-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by BuzzLightYear
Heres something I found on a quick search that might be able to help. Worth checking it out and taking it to infiniti to see if the area ure being affected on is covered under that warranty.

Dear Infiniti Owner,

At Infiniti, we are committed to providing the highest levels of product quality and customer satisfaction. We appreciate your purchase of the Infiniti G35 Sedan, a vehicle designed to meet your driving needs and engineered to be not only practical, but stylish and innovative as well. We have become aware, however, that some customers may have experienced some degree of perforation due to corrosion in the door sash area.

What Infiniti Will Do

To insure the highest levels of customer satisfaction Infiniti is pleased to extend the warranty period for corrosion coverage by 3 years as it applies to perforation due to corrosion of the door and frame, extending this coverage from 7 years unlimited miles to 10 years unlimited miles.

What You Should Do

Place the sticker included with this letter on the cover of your Infiniti Warranty information Booklet to remind you of the warranty extension, should you ever need to use it. No further action is required.

If you detect any perforation due to corrosion in the door area as described above at any time within the warranty coverage period, contact your Infiniti dealer to schedule an appointment.

Please accept this warranty extension as proof of how highly Infiniti values your business and of our commitment to your ongoing satisfaction and driving pleasure.

If you have any questions about the warranty extension, please feel free to call Infiniti Consumer Affairs at 1-800-662-6200.

NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.
INFINITI DIVISION

& Heres a thread with pics & people that had the same issue as you and doors were replaced under warranty https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ust-doors.html

Hope it helps!
Thank you, I will try this.

I went through the thread and see people saying,that the recall is for only paint bubbling from within and not the rust that forms form wear , road dings and all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help -- Hood paint and Door rust!!