G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Steering wheel froze, brakes "went out" Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by geesteezd
hmm ok cause i was gonna agree with tollbooth.. i had the steering wheel lock up once and it turns out that i had to replace the serpentine belt
That is possible if the serpentine belt broke, you would lose your power steering and whatever was run by that belt. But if the belt broke, you wouldn't have power steering back after the car was successfully restarted.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
Sounds like you had your drive belt break on you. If so, easy to fix and not expensive.
Originally Posted by geesteezd
hmm ok cause i was gonna agree with tollbooth.. i had the steering wheel lock up once and it turns out that i had to replace the serpentine belt
Originally Posted by kvangil
That is possible if the serpentine belt broke, you would lose your power steering and whatever was run by that belt. But if the belt broke, you wouldn't have power steering back after the car was successfully restarted.

It didn't feel or sound like anything broke.

I did get power steering/brakes back after the car finally restarted.

I'm hoping whatever needs to be fixed costs <$500

Old 06-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by kvangil
You can mention it to them to help troubleshoot. It's a common problem with our G35's. There are 2 Camshaft Position Sensors, so it may be hard to narrow down to which one without reading a CEL code. Even if the Check Engine light is off, you might have them scan for codes to see if it threw any.

As for cost, it cost me $350 at a Nissan dealership, but luckily mine was covered under an extended warranty.
Heh yeah I prefer mentioning stuff that it could be, but at the same time I then worry about them just agreeing with me and "repairing" whatever I mention.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
we dont have fuel filters. All we have is a wide bore fuel screen thats not a changeable part. Try again...

Originally Posted by GOWAD
it sound like your fuel filter when was the last time you changed it?

Excess oil that may have gotten onto the MAF sensor will cause every one of the problems you experienced with poor starting to stalling. I'd start there.

Originally Posted by mr_ecktid
Hmmm, I did recently re-oil my K&N Air filter a week ago. Would that be causing it issues at starting up? I also had the MAF sensor changed out in Oct 2009 as well.

When I took it to an oil lube place, they said my "timing belt" looked cracked and would need a replacement soon, would a timing chain have that same problem? If not, was the lube guy just BSing me?

Thanks for your help!

Old 06-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by str8dum1
Excess oil that may have gotten onto the MAF sensor will cause every one of the problems you experienced with poor starting to stalling. I'd start there.
Hmmm, perhaps I re-oiled the K&N filter incorrectly? I cleaned it with the cleaner spray, then sprayed the oiling spray on it again, I didn't go too heavy (IMO), just enough to make it pink...

Old 06-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by mr_ecktid
Hmmm, perhaps I re-oiled the K&N filter incorrectly? I cleaned it with the cleaner spray, then sprayed the oiling spray on it again, I didn't go too heavy (IMO), just enough to make it pink...
But if you re-oiled "a few weeks ago," that wouldn't explain your 3-4 months of hard starting.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:12 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
1.) Take to AutoZone or any other place that does free diagnotics. Write down the codes they give you.

2.) Search the codes on here or on Google. The symptoms of hard starting an an occasional stall sounds like the culprit of a failed cam or crank position sensor, but it also has the potential to be a MAF.

3.) Replace serp belts on your own if you have basic tools. Very easy and it's not worth the cost to pay someone to do it.

4.) More of a suggestion than anything else... get rid of the K&N filter. The oil does ruin MAF sensors if it gets past the filter. I ran K&Ns on 2 of my previous cars and had MAF problems even after lightly oiling them. I replaced the filters with NAPA Golds and never had the problem again.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:26 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
A locked steering wheel, no real brakes, and all warning lights on means means the engine stalled. The steering (pump is run off accessory belt) and brake power assist (ie vacuum) are directly related to a running motor. Without the motor running, both will behave in the manner you described. Same goes for all the warning lights. If this were to happen at speed, the speedo would still show MPH. Are you certain you didn't accidently hit your keys and inadvertently turn off the car? The steering wheel WILL NOT lock in the "run" position. Do you have a lot of keys and other do-dads on your key chain that could put excessive weight on the key? The first thing I'd look at is the key interlock (ie the thing you put the key into). I'd very lightly jiggle the key while the car is running in park and see if you can make the issue reappear. I'd also clean the MAF and throw the K&N filter in the trash.

Last edited by DaveB; 06-19-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:56 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same s**t on my g35 coupe check your belts guy

Old 06-19-2010, 01:27 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 340tog35
Same s**t on my g35 coupe check your belts guy
This problem doesn't have anything to do with the belts.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by str8dum1
we dont have fuel filters. All we have is a wide bore fuel screen thats not a changeable part. Try again...
I think he was joking...

I think.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:03 AM
It ended up being the crank and camshaft sensors, cost a pretty penny, but thanks for all of yall's help!

Old 06-28-2010, 06:34 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Glad you got it fixed.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that sucks

Old 07-04-2010, 02:00 AM
At least it's fixed!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel froze, brakes "went out" Any ideas?