G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

1 license plate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 license plate

does anyone know if they let people drive with one license plate in houston, tx? Im thinking about just put 1 license plate on the back of my car.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:03 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
No, they require them.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
you can take it off the front, and put it in the front window. keeps your car looking clean and legal. at least in dallas they allow that

Old 07-05-2010, 11:17 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
^ Imagine going from 40-70 mph to 0 instantly with that plate sitting on the dash right in front of you.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get a motorized license plate holder.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:33 PM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
Not sure how the cops are in TX, but I haven't been running a front plate in CA for the past 2.5 years. I haven't been pulled over because of it and the one time I was pulled over (for speeding) I wasn't ticketed for it.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:32 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by fobizzle
you can take it off the front, and put it in the front window. keeps your car looking clean and legal. at least in dallas they allow that
Wish it was that simple in IL!

Old 07-06-2010, 02:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The front plate is required, but the law is ambiguous on the location. I have had mine in my windshield for several years. My brother got pulled over when the trooper thought he didn't have a front plate but let him go once he saw it in the windshield.

Originally Posted by dofu
^ Imagine going from 40-70 mph to 0 instantly with that plate sitting on the dash right in front of you.
I don't think that would be much of an issue... the plate has forward momentum and is only going to wedge itself more in the windshield. I think you have much more significant problems crashing at those speeds anyways.

ps I am from Houston

Old 07-06-2010, 03:19 AM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by dofu

I better example would be getting T-boned. If you have ever been T-boned (as I have by an oil tanker) on the passenger side, you know that things that were once on the passenger side no longer are. You would be amazed at how far and fast things can fly across a vehicle. Im with you on this one. IMO placing it in the window is the dumbest thing you can do.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:26 AM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by nasman3188
The front plate is required, but the law is ambiguous on the location. I have had mine in my windshield for several years. My brother got pulled over when the trooper thought he didn't have a front plate but let him go once he saw it in the windshield.

I don't think that would be much of an issue... the plate has forward momentum and is only going to wedge itself more in the windshield. I think you have much more significant problems crashing at those speeds anyways.

ps I am from Houston
Problems such as being impaled by a thin flying piece of metal?

Seems that most states require you to place the plate to the front of the vehicle. I know here in Washington you have to display it the furthest forward point of the vehicle (I.E center of the front bumper). Although many get away with it in the windshield it is not legal.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Until recently, my car never had a front plate and was not drilled for a plate. After 4.5 years and 2 warnings, I finally got a ticket for it. It is a fix-it ticket, so after installing a front plate, it cost $10 to the court. BTW, the DPS can lookup warnings when they pull you over; the trooper was able to tell me the date of the last no front plate warning.

None of the states that border Texas require a front plate (NM, OK, LA, AR).

I went with this to mount the front plate:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=180493008328

Old 07-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts
I'm on my 3rd front plate ticket. The window thing is not legal according to the second time I got a ticket.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4D05G35
Problems such as being impaled by a thin flying piece of metal?

Seems that most states require you to place the plate to the front of the vehicle. I know here in Washington you have to display it the furthest forward point of the vehicle (I.E center of the front bumper). Although many get away with it in the windshield it is not legal.
Thank you for your Washington anecdote, but Texas law states

§ 502.404. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE OR
REGISTRATION INSIGNIA. (a) A person commits an offense if the
person operates on a public highway during a registration period a
passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two
license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle
A front plate is required, but the placement of the plate at the 'front' of the vehicle is not specific. If you were to be ticketed for having your plate in the windshield, it would be a fix-it ticket. If you do get ticketed for it, it's quite likely that the cop is having a bad day or you are just asking for a ticket.

As to the physics of the plate in a crash, I'm not convinced it would be flying around the car like people claim. In almost any crash situation the plate will have forward momentum and will either wedge itself more into the dashboard or bounce off and lose a significant amount of energy.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by fobizzle
A plate on a dash looks 100x times worse than on the front bumper. Every pos civic or integra here rides with the plate on the dash along with spray painted rims and chipped fiberglass body kits...so it looks cheap and ghetto. Nothing ruins the look of a clean "higher end" car than the plate on the dash.

Besides...it's not legal. There are height restrictions as to how high a plate needs to be off the ground. Just not strictly enforced

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 07-06-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by nasman3188

As to the physics of the plate in a crash, I'm not convinced it would be flying around the car like people claim. In almost any crash situation the plate will have forward momentum and will either wedge itself more into the dashboard or bounce off and lose a significant amount of energy.

You haven't been in a rollover then....

I lost two teeth from what we think was the gps unit on the windshield. It got me on the second tumble. We never impacted going forward.

Looking back on how violent it was...I wouldn't want a thin peice of metal flying around for me to slam my face into.

(btw...the accident was caused by my buddy falling asleep at the wheel coming home at 4am after wrenching on a friends car. He dozed off at 70 and went of the road. We hit a ditch and rolled maybe four or five times. Fun stuff. )

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1 license plate