G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Sporatic rub sound while cornering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sporatic rub sound while cornering

Hey guys,

Again I come to the forum with an issue. Another issue that multiple "mechanics" can't seem to pinpoint.

While turning my car makes all sorts of noises. Just a bit of background info, I have some 20'' wheels wrapped in some dunlaps, but there is no wheel rub, that I am sure of. When I turn I hear a clear scraping sound that seems to coincide with the rotation of the wheel. In other words, it goes in and out when the wheel turns BUT only while I am turning the car.

Secondly, in the rear, when I am cornering at high speeds I hear a loud rub that almost sounds like something is sliding around in the trunk (there is nothing in there). Related to that issue I hear a similar rubbing sound in the back while stopping occasionally. Like slowing down to a light I can hear it creaking and rubbing to a stop.

After jiggling the e-brake a thousand times I do notice that it will stop it for a period of time. However, I don't see how the e-brake could be causing these issues, it is not engaged while driving!

Any help would be appreciated and I can give more info if needed! THANKS AGAIN GUYS!

Old 07-16-2010, 11:18 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
Do you have an aggressive wheel setup? What's your width's offsets, tire sizes, etc. A picture of the car would help.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:50 AM
If you are implying a wheel rub wouldn't that be constant? This issue come's and goe's..But to answer, I guess it depends what you call aggressive. They aren't crazy I didn't have to roll my fenders, but I will get a picture asap.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
OP, if you're actually looking for help, you should provide the info to the people who can help you.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Oh sorry if I came off rude, I am trying to get a picture now, unfortunately my girlfriend has my SD CARD But I have no idea what my offsets and wheel/tire sizes are exactly. I am sorry. But I am trying to get you the info you need to help, I appreciate you trying anyway!

Old 07-16-2010, 12:01 PM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
Get a pic when you get a chance.

Do you tires or fenders show any signs of rubbing?

Old 07-16-2010, 12:02 PM
No, I have looked multiple times, it seems like the most logical answer right? But I truly believe it is not my issue. I would think if it did rub my fender would push out or chip or something and the tire might even show some scrapping, but nothing, it all looks mint. Again, the issue also happens when I am driving straight to a stop.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's most likely wheel/tire rub, then again we can't see what's going on. Get those pictures and you'll get insight.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:55 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 118 Likes on 75 Posts
sound like you rubbing alot from what i read ... your rear has some body roll sound like to .. yea if you can please post up some picture would be great ... we all will help you out.. what size tires are you running on your wheels ???

Old 08-01-2011, 09:47 AM
I might be having the same issue. Today, in my parking garage, I noticed a weird noise when turning at slow speeds. It's kind of like a scraping/straining noise. I have stock wheels and suspension on an '03 coupe with 18s and brembos. I've never heard this nosie until today. I also smelled a burning smell after parking so I'm thinking it might be the wheels, but how??? I'm stock! Nothing looked out of place.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Day 2: It's not a tire rubbing issue, it sounds more like body flex or axle click. However, it only happens while turning right at low speeds (i.e. going up a parking garage ramp). I'll try a search - anyone else having this issue?

Old 08-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Pull your rim off and inspect your brake dust shield. Make sure it's not hitting the rotor. Depending on the way the weight shifts on the car, the rotor can move in and out a few millimeters.

I had this issue up front when i accidentally hit the dust shield removing my rotors with a hammer. I didn't notice until i'd get a light scrape noise when turning left. After pulling my hair out, i discovered the dust shield contacting the rotor slightly

Old 08-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Here's what I'd check:

1.) Wheel making contact with fender or suspension. (sounds like you have)

2.) Brake pads. If they're low on the front of the pad like mine were, they will wear 'crooked' and sometimes touch the rotor. I replaced/greased the pads, cleaned the calipers and never had another issue.

3.) Check rotor and dustshield. The rotor might be dragging the ebrake on the inside of the rotor (ebrake is a drum brake) Over time, the ebrake pad might machine a little notch in the inside of the rotor and when a wheel bearing starts wearing, it allows a little side-to-side action that might cause the pad to drag the inside of the notch.

4.) Check wheelbearing. As mentioned before, if it's wearing, it could cause some unintended contact with the ebrake pad and the inside of the rotor. A failing wheel bearing could also have a dimpled recess where the ball bearings sit. Add some lateral g-force and some heat to help displace the grease in the bearing channel, and you'll notice rumbling noises from the ball bearings spinning past a less-than-smooth surface.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Day 5 update: the sound has gone away. I try to replicate it now but can't. I felt around the dust shield and caliper on the passenger rear wheel but nothing seemed out of place. Oh well, I'm happy now that it's gone!