G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

can i pull a car out of a ditch?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 07:51 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
can i pull a car out of a ditch?

Thought came to mind. As i remember last year in the winter couple friends skidded off and got stuck in random places. I borrowed a friend's Jeep Wrangler and with tow straps pulled them out without thinking.

I was wondering if we could some thing of that nature with our G's without fear. I checked the manual, states we can tow 1000lbs. Assuming cars are 3500lbs but in neutral they aren't 3500lbs because its rolling. Maybe not tow complete out of the ditch but move it forward like 3 feet so it can get better traction...

just a thought. i would probaly never try to just tell them to call a tow truck but just something to think about.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Considering anyone can push a car in neutral I don't see why not.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I guess it depends on how you pull it.

I would be afraid in tweaking a unibody car with a tug at an odd angle. I've seen plenty of examples of redneck frame repair by tying a rope to a tree and backing the car up to straighten the frame.

Of course, a car in a ditch might be an easy pull, but the g was never designed to be a tow truck. The tow point up front is useful if you get stuck, but I dunno how it would do pulling another car out

Old 11-16-2010, 06:52 AM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5

Of course, a car in a ditch might be an easy pull, but the g was never designed to be a tow truck. The tow point up front is useful if you get stuck, but I dunno how it would do pulling another car out
the point up front is used to pull the G out.. pulling a car would apply the same amount of force... actually should be weaker. A tow truck should be a lot stronger in terms of power pulling on the unibody VS pulling just a car in neutral stuck in mud/snow or etc.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
If the car is 3,500 pounds... its 3,500 pounds.. being in neutral does not make it any lighter...

I guess you have never been 4 wheeling before... a car stuck in a ditch is not only the 3,500 pounds of the car, but its also got the resistance of being stuck. I would NEVER try to pull someone out of a ditch with my G. Thats what 4x4 trucks with full frames are for. Your looking to do damage to not just your unitized body structure, but also your driveline.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The amount of force you are putting on your car depends compeltely on how badly the car is stuck. The 1000lb tow rating means you can pull something behind your G that weighs 1000lbs. So pulling a 3500lb car is the same as a 3500lb trailer. The only differences are that 1. It is stuck (more resistance) 2. You are only getting it unstuck (not towing it over a long distance). It is just using common sense that will lower your odds of hurting your G if you try this. If you hook up to a stuck car and you have good traction and you are going WOT not moving the other vehicle you will prob break your car. I am not saying that I would not attempt this because If someone was in need and I thought it was possible I would try to pull out a person in need with my G. But you just need to be careful and realistic in order to not cause damamge. Sometimes you just arent going to be able to do it.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:44 PM
^ i dont think a 3500lb car on a trailer will weight the same as a 3500lb square brick, from a dead point yes but once its rolling its not.

I'm reserving this idea as a LAST LAST LAST idea. Chances are i'm not going to attempt it. No way in hell would i try WOT to pull a car,

Another thought for those who mentioned unibody twisting. From my understand the 350z and the FX35 chassis is somewhat the same, just extended. So the FX35 is towing off its unibody as well. One would expect a lot more reenforcement be put into place but in the end same theory/idea.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:57 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
For those of us that actually put 10k of after markets products and turning our cars into show. Would you really want to take that chance with your car?

Old 12-05-2010, 12:54 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts

Ok, if you do... you have to post it here: https://g35driver.com/forums/lounge-...ne-lately.html

Old 12-05-2010, 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by bluedevils95
For those of us that actually put 10k of after markets products and turning our cars into show. Would you really want to take that chance with your car?
the number of "us" that are close to stock > guys who spent 10k

i never asked you show car guys ANYTHING.. The title of this thread is " I " and has always been I. If i had 10k to put into a car, i would have aleast enough money/sense to buy a truck that can tow my car if/when it breaks down.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
You should be able to HELP pull it out... and it shouldnt damage the car. With that said...I would be very careful if I ever did it.

Def. not designed to pull a lot of weight over long distances. However, when a car is stuck it generally only needs a little help in getting momentum built to get out of snow/ditch. In this case, the other car will be using its motor as well and should reduce the amount of pull required. Again, it should be ok, but be careful.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:41 PM
my biggest fear when thinking about this is the other car ramming into me.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:55 PM
If I were you I would only try it if I also had a few people pushing the stuck vehicle. I wouldn't worry about the other car ramming into you. Just keep going. I have an Xterra and go out in the sand so I have a lot of experience pulling out stuck cars. The problem is the two cars weigh the same. Most likely if a G is stuck and another G RWD tries to pull it out it will just spin the tires. But if both cars are on the gas and you have help pushing you have a shot. I pulled out a crew cab F250 up a hill in the sand with my Xterra. Only because I have a stretch strap and got some some momentum before the strap tightened up.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
First I would not try to pull a stuck car with my G for fear of bending something. Second, the 1000lb. tow rating relates to the brakes ablility to stop the car and trailer. It has nothing to do with the power available.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:47 AM
^I think the vehicle weight, transmission and drivetrain play a factor too. Not just the brakes. I noticed that TurTle is a AWD so a little easier to do. If you can find a good (i use that term loosly) anchor point and give it a tug nice and easy you won't hurt your car. If you rail on it your asking for trouble.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: can i pull a car out of a ditch?