G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 vs. Grand Prix GTP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 09:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: G35 vs. Grand Prix GTP

My company actually doesn't give as many boosts with every little thing like that, and they only give anti-theft discounts for LoJack and other recovery type equipment. But, their rates are still among the lowest in the area for good drivers, and their claims service when things go wrong is top notch.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 04-16-2003, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have a '98 GTP. Leaving aside the discussion about insurance, rates, and so on, I think the Pontiac is one of the better GM cars. I'm crazy about the exterior shape, I think it's totally awesome (maybe a shape adjustment of the tail lights would be necessary, somewhat close to what they've done in the new 2004 GTP). The power is great at low RPMs and once I was able to lose decently when racing a 1998 BMW 540i stick-shift.

The quality of the car was perfect until this summer. I only have 47k miles and I had to replace the alternator, belt and belt tensioners just to realize that the noise I was after still existed. A second opinion brought in the need to change the supercharger ($2000) so I'm shocked at how bad this is. Maybe the alternator/belt/belt tensioners didn't need to be changed in the first place (I'm working to get some money back). I spent almost no money (I had to do the brakes once) in 5 years and now I'm faced with a bill of $2,500 (supercharger, alternator, etc).

The interior is very nice in my subjective view ! The cockpit look and feel ranks high in my book (HUD is a nice "aircraft-inspired technology" touch). I like the car a lot but I don't know if I'd recommend it (if it wasn't for the recent repairs, I would have given it a thumbs up, but now ....).

The new GTO should be an interesting car: V8, rear-wheel drive, etc.

Old 04-17-2003, 10:43 AM
IQ9

My employee that has the GTP says the same thing he loves the interior and the HUD. He says I got a cheap car because I have no HUD. I agree its very cool. The seats are good too. Sorry to hear about your blower. He you tried to findout who actually makes it. If you do you may be able to find a shop that is trained to work on that specific blower(supercharger).

03.5 Sedan/B. Silver/Prem/Winter/Aero/Tint/Rims
69 Chevelle Hard Top BB/4.11's/Posi

Old 04-17-2003, 11:59 AM

My family has a 91 Grand Prix STE with the 3.1L "Twin Dual Cam" V6. It was an awesome car for the first 3 warranty years. It's sorely lacking in power these days, and falling apart at the seems. (Faded paint, cracked radio buttons, broken door handles, etc.) Luckily, it's in the extended family, and not my core family. I still think the body style looks good with the red running lights going clear across the back, and the white running lights running clear across the front face.

I hope your supercharger isn't an omen of things to come. It's probably an Eaton blower - I think they make most of the OEM factory superchargers for most makes.

Old 04-17-2003, 09:19 PM

Can u please explain what HUD is? What year is his GTP?

Old 04-17-2003, 10:32 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Heads Up Display". It casts and image of the readings up to the base of the windshield in front of the driver.

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 04-18-2003, 01:00 AM

Where would the HUD be in this image? I wanna see a pic of it..

..pestilence..

Old 04-18-2003, 02:35 AM

It's in the windshield. When you're driving, your speed, turn signals, and I'm not sure what else "appear" in the lower portion of the windshield, as if they're floating above the hood near your field of vision, so you don't have to look all the way down at the instruments.

It would be off past the left side of your picture. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-18-2003, 03:01 AM

ahh damn! I was hoping some feature like this they would picture and advertise....

..pestilence..

Old 04-18-2003, 12:51 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You sort of have to try it yourself to see if it's even useful. It sort of looks like a reflection of the instruments on the bottom of the windshield. I find it a bit annoying and 'gimmicky' myself. It'd be different if it showed crosshairs to target for the 'Heat-Seeking-Missiles' option! [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 04-18-2003, 10:59 PM

Oh I see I know what u mean. My cousin has that on his Z06 Corvvette. Its [censored] cool man.

Old 04-22-2003, 01:02 AM

I've owned a couple GTP's in the past... a '98 and '00. Here's a brief summary of those GTP's versus the G35.

1) The GTP's 3800 Series II blower engine delivers awesome low end torque. If you don't light up the tires, the GTP would beat the G35 to 60MPH (in performace mode the tranny kicks gears fast and hard). To 100MPH it's probably a close race between GTP and G35. Remember that the Series II engine is based off engine designs going back decades (it's still over-head valves, no cams), it's been refined, it gets decent gas milage (most often better than G35).

2) At the first turn, however, the GTP would be toast. The handling characteristics of the G35 (and I don't even have the Sports package on mine) are two steps above the current GTP. Road feel, steering precision, etc. the G35 is much more of a "driver's car". The GTP just feels heavy compared to the G35.

3) Front wheel drive on GTP results in horrible torque steer, and proves very difficult to get out of tight turns. The current 240HP GTP can light those front tires up no problem, specially when the inside tire is low on traction in a turn.

4) The GTP's gear ratio lets you cruise at 75MPH at around 2200 RPM, and the dual pipes have a nice sound at any speed. Obviously you need a few more RPMs on the G35, this is a big deal to some, but at this point I don't mind. At highway speed I'd say that the throttle response (without down shifting) is very similar between the two cars. I can only tell the difference between 280lb-ft and 260lb-ft at the very low end of RPM (<2500).

5) The GTP has a slightly roomier feel on the inside (probably because it's wider), but the quality of finish, plastics, etc. are typical american cheap quality, everything rattles and squeeks after 10K miles. One point on the interior is the ability of the GrandPrix to fit very tall drivers, I simply could not believe how far back the front seats go... and even with the sunroof there's very good head room. I didn't need the room, but know of one person who is about 6'4" and the GrandPrix was one of very few mid-size sedans that he could fit into comfortably.

6) The HUD is very slick, you quickly get used to it, and it really does keep you up to date without you taking your eyes off the road. I can't believe other manufactures haven't jumped on this wagon, I'd easily pay $500 for that option (the GTP has it standard, and I don't believe there's anyway to add to the SE or GT).

7) The GTP is a great bang for the buck, the only American sedan I've owned, or plan to own (at this point). Although I've had a few maintenance issues, some electrical problems, but never kept one past 50K, so I can't state how well they age ;-)

In summary, the G35 is only a few thousand more, but it delivers a much more sports oriented driving experience, instills more confidence in the driver, definitely has better quality finish (materials, etc.), delivers options that the GTP doesn't have (such as the NAV, once you go NAV you won't go back). Never mind that the G35 just looks so much cleaner...

Pontiac is making some interesting strides, I may look into the GTO (Aussie built) for its performance qualities (tuned LS V8), but from what I've seen from the press photos, the look is rather bland. The new GTP offers some interesting upgrades (steering wheel shifters, 280HP), but I don't think I can get over the exterior styling, it's simply going in the wrong direction (just look at that Sunfire monstrosity, ouch!). The G6 (new GrandAm) is a bold new step forward, but I seriously doubt they'll build anything close to the show car....

Well, anyway, you said you were looking for some feeback....

"There's no replacement for discplacement, but forced induction can sure help".

Old 04-22-2003, 11:18 AM

You're definately right about the mileage. A coworker of mine has a Buick Park Avenue, with the same 3800 engine in it. His doesn't have the supercharger, but it's a full-size (seats six) heavy car. It's peppy enough for it's purposes. It definately blows away the G35 on mileage. He commutes a good bit on the highway, and manages about 26mpg.

I'm kinda surprised they stepped backwards on engine technology, though. In '91, they introduced the "Twin Dual Cam" V6 for the Grand Prix's, in 3.1L and 3.4L forms. A fancy way of saying Quad Cam.

Old 04-22-2003, 06:11 PM

Actually Nissan had HUD in the 1989-90 Maxima with Electronics Package, but most owners only gave it mixed reviews. So they dropped it in 91!

Old 04-22-2003, 10:33 PM

Huh... did not know that. I wonder what other manufacturers have tinkered with HUDs in the past. Nice thing about the GTP's was that you could turn it off, if it got in the way. I always used mine...

"There's no replacement for discplacement, but forced induction can sure help".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 vs. Grand Prix GTP