G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Oil change suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by 4D05G35
This is the first i've heard of this. Do you know how much larger the FX45 filter is? I might have to make the switch.
It looks the same, but it's maybe 1/2" longer or so.

The m45 uses the same filter as well.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:14 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Infiniti Chica
What I use (and I've been doing my own oil changes for 10 years). By doing it myself I know it's been done right and I save money. I change my oil every 7-8K and will occasionally change the filter between oil changes.

Do you know if your filter is going into bypass mode after 10k? Have you ever gotten an UOA on your 8k OCI? Are you using the M45 filter?

This is the first i've heard of this. Do you know how much larger the FX45 filter is? I might have to make the switch.
If you are doing longer OCI's you can try the M45 filter, if your keeping it 5k or lower, OEM filter is perfectly fine.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^I was just about to ask the benefits of using a larger filter. So basically it extends the time of having to change it????

Old 05-30-2011, 01:26 PM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Thanks guys. I change mine at about 3,00- 3,500 miles (2X a year)give or take a little. Ill just carry on as I have then.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
i use a QX filter...pic is attached for comparison.

Attached Thumbnails Oil change suggestions-filters.jpg  
Old 05-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Mr.202?

Originally Posted by KBTOPDOG
^I was just about to ask the benefits of using a larger filter. So basically it extends the time of having to change it????
Basically. By making it larger you have more filtering area

Originally Posted by bigc
i use a QX filter...pic is attached for comparison.
Yep, PS: Nissan Filters are like fram. fragile filter media and cardboard endcaps..ect

Old 05-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I use Castrol Edge 5W-30 with an M45 Wix filter. I honestly don't know if the slightly bigger filter gives any benefit, but the stock filter was so small it looked like it should be on a go kart.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
That's the first time that i've heard of using another a different filter from another model, but I'll try it out next time.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:32 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
^Filter diameter, thread pitch/etc are all exactly the same. Just a slightly longer filter.
More filter area = better, in my book.

Honestly, I don't know why Nissan even uses the smaller filter there's nothing even close to the filter, it's not a clearance issue, and I can't think of another reason to make a filter overly small

Old 05-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Keep in mind, larger filter area of the same media results in slightly pressure drop across the membrane.

Can anyone with an aftermarket oil pressure gauge confirm oil pressure between the two filters is the same?

Old 05-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
In general, I haven't noticed a change in oil pressure. The filters I use aren't a whole lot bigger than the stock ones.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:09 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Keep in mind, larger filter area of the same media results in slightly pressure drop across the membrane.

Can anyone with an aftermarket oil pressure gauge confirm oil pressure between the two filters is the same?
^True, though I believe the difference in media of the PureOne generally results in higher pressure given the same filter size.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:36 PM
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
Do you know if your filter is going into bypass mode after 10k? Have you ever gotten an UOA on your 8k OCI? Are you using the M45 filter? If you are doing longer OCI's you can try the M45 filter, if your keeping it 5k or lower, OEM filter is perfectly fine.
I've never been past 8K, generally I try to make the oil change at around 7-7.5K and change the filter at around 4K based on my driving habits for that period. Never done and OCI... but I think I have a good experience with this. We had 3 Volvos with a combined mileage of 1.2 million miles and we used this strategy on all 3. We even had a 1971 VW fastback that exceeded 240K miles before we sold it. How many Infiniti's will match this?

I do use the larger filter, but I'm not sure that the miniscule difference between the filters is significant enough. Does a larger filter actually improve capacity, how much total contaminant they can retain (not screen out since filters do not screen for contaminants), and how well they maintain their efficiency as they age and wear during use--- or is this a myth/theory that doesn't apply?

Your thoughts?

Old 05-30-2011, 04:09 PM
? = 2B || !2B

We even had a 1971 VW fastback that exceeded 240K miles before we sold it. How many Infiniti's will match this?
Plenty.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:26 PM
Mr.202?

I've never been past 8K, generally I try to make the oil change at around 7-7.5K and change the filter at around 4K based on my driving habits for that period. Never done and OCI... but I think I have a good experience with this. We had 3 Volvos with a combined mileage of 1.2 million miles and we used this strategy on all 3. We even had a 1971 VW fastback that exceeded 240K miles before we sold it. How many Infiniti's will match this?

I do use the larger filter, but I'm not sure that the miniscule difference between the filters is significant enough. Does a larger filter actually improve capacity, how much total contaminant they can retain (not screen out since filters do not screen for contaminants), and how well they maintain their efficiency as they age and wear during use--- or is this a myth/theory that doesn't apply?

Your thoughts?
OCI = Oil Change Interval
UOA = Used Oil Analysis

Our VQs use a Timing Chain, and usually Timing chain motors are hard on oil. Which the VQ are. Just because something worked on Engine A does not mean it will work on engine B.

Ah so you change the filter every 4k, That is not really necessary, I thought you changed the filter every other 7.5k ish OCI. You can keep any quality filter in for 7.5kish OCI

Check out this http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2195882

This filters out very well, and people say it has the same internals as the Pureone, just a little thicker filter media. So I would assume the Pure One(P1) has the same filtering capabilities, just not as much dirt holding since the media is thinner when compared to the Bosch Distance +

Check out this UOA of Castrol Edge, Now this, is this guys driving only, it will not apply to you as his car can be in a hotter environment..ect But you can expect similar results if you drive similarly to this guy on the oil.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...2059713&page=1

After 8.8k miles of mostly highway(which is easy on oil) with some stop and go, the UOA with TBN (total base number), came back great, Low wear numbers and still has enough TBN.

For extended drains, TBN count needs to be over 1, and wear needs to be good, if TBN which is the additive runs out, or the wear materials get too high then you need to change the oil.

for instance, Castrol Syntec does not have the same additive pack as Edge, Edge is made to go much longer. Same with M1 vs M1EP the EP will be able to archive longer OCI's(the same as Edge? Who knows its different oil). Its all about the additive pack and good Base oil rather then solely on the price or oil Group Number. Some people might buy Royal Purple since its Group IV or V oil but it might spit out horrible UOA's in 5k miles.

IMO(in my opinion) Run your normal OCI(7.5k) with the same filter (P1) get the M45 sized one, and send the Used oil in for a test, I and many others use blackstone-labs.com/ since they send out a free container, just pay the shipping back and for the test. I believe its 35 bucks with the TBN count.

If you want to be cautious, run it for 5k do the test, then see how everything is then go up to 7.5k. I would personally do that. But its up to you.

Happy Motoring.

PS: here is a UOA I did on Syntec,(older oil is dealer oil) with the Factory 3750 interval, I did not pay for TBN Count as I was looking for wear patterns rather then extending the OCI.

https://g35driver.com/forums/attachm...s-info-oil.png

Explanation of UOAs http://www.blackstone-labs.com/report-explanation.php click on Gas Report

Last edited by thescreensavers; 05-30-2011 at 04:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Infiniti Chica (06-06-2011)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil change suggestions