G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Little Help Needed on DD Conversion Installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little Help Needed on DD Conversion Installation

Okay, so I've spend some time doing all the research I can, and I think it's time for some one on one help with some experts.

For the past few years, I have experienced the wiring problems with the circuit board and AC controller as countless other owners have too (I have an 03 G35 Sedan). Mine was built in Sept 2002, one month after the August 2002 VIN's that were eligible in the voluntary recall for the problem.

More specifically, the CD player hasn't worked for years, and the entire console has intermittently shut off for the past few months.

I decided to go with the cheaper Metra Double Din conversion kit (hopefully I can live with the cheap buttons ) and have also bought a Pioneer P-3300BT HU. In addition to to this, I have the Metra 70-7551 and Metra Antenna adapter.

Hopefully, I haven't screwed up as of this point, because I haven't even began to take anything apart

I'm planning on tackling the install myself and save a few bucks, but I just want to make sure I have the necessary parts. A few concerns:

1. The factory amp. Many people seem to have problems with the factory amp and the Metra 70-7551. Others don't, so I'm wondering if there is any up to date intel on this issue.

2. The subwoofer, and how difficult it is to hook up to the Pioneer head unit.

3. Most importantly, how good or bad an idea it is to try and install myself. I have absolutely no experience with any thing of the sort, but have done (and am willing to do more) homework and research before I start anything.

I hope I don't sound like a jerk trying to use all the correct terminology, because truthfully all I know is what I have researched in the last week or so.

So if there is any advice or words of encouragement, I'm all ears!

Old 06-23-2011, 01:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did it all by myself with no prior experience with the same headunit you got(very good unit IMO) It is alot of work, but in the end well worth it. The first time you take the car apart and back together it will take forever; now that I have done it a couple of times I can take it apart and put it back together in under 30 minutes. You will need a programmer, Metra has an automatic one that is way easier than the PAC to install. You need that to be able to keep the steering wheel controls working. I just bought the adapters for the factory radio connections and crimped the wires inbetween factory adapters and harness that comes with the radio. The mic for the BT phone capabilities is sitting on my rearview mirror, I ran it under the steering wheel and up the A pillar, across the headliner and down the mirror(you want to run what I just said in reverse with the mic jack end) Here's a pic of mine for a little motivation

Old 06-23-2011, 03:44 AM
Awesome! Thanks!

I haven't totally decided if I want to get the module for the steering wheel controls.

It can just give me a reason to take it all apart again if I don't get it now and change my mind later.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by murphy7
I'm planning on tackling the install myself and save a few bucks, but I just want to make sure I have the necessary parts. A few concerns:

1. The factory amp. Many people seem to have problems with the factory amp and the Metra 70-7551. Others don't, so I'm wondering if there is any up to date intel on this issue.

2. The subwoofer, and how difficult it is to hook up to the Pioneer head unit.

3. Most importantly, how good or bad an idea it is to try and install myself. I have absolutely no experience with any thing of the sort, but have done (and am willing to do more) homework and research before I start anything.

I hope I don't sound like a jerk trying to use all the correct terminology, because truthfully all I know is what I have researched in the last week or so.

So if there is any advice or words of encouragement, I'm all ears!
1. Since your using the stock amp, I recommed the PAC ROEM-NIS2 for the wiring harness, not the Metra 70-7551. IIRC the metra harness gave some ppl volume issues with the stock amp.

2. Subwoofer connections are integrated into the factory wiring and will connect to your aftermarket wireharness the same as the other speakers.

3. I installed my DD myself also, with no prior car audio install experience. Search around the Audio/Video/Electronics forum, there is tons of diy install info there.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the tips!

After some extensive research and watching/reading DIY guides, I feel a lot better than I did before, and am not nearly as confused.

The 70-7551 seems to be one of the problem areas for some. I've read that if it's wired correctly, it should work fine. Others seem to report that the 70-7551 doesn't work as well on the 03-04 models.

Are there any differences between the Metra or PAC harness? I just have gotten so used to the Metra.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:26 PM
^ Not exactly sure on thier differences. I think either the Metra 70-7550 or 70-7551 has RCA connections if you are using an aftermarket amp. The PAC ROEM-NIS2 is specifically made for cars with Bose oem stereos.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Okay thanks, I was wondering what the RCA connections were for.

I went ahead and purchased the PAC ROEM-NIS2, hopefully it might be here tomorrow (HU arrives today and I have everything else).

Just to confirm with a few stupid questions...

1. I don't need the 70-7551 anymore, correct?

2. I don't need anything else in addition to the PAC ROEM-NIS2, correct?

Trending Topics

Old 06-23-2011, 05:33 PM
1. Right, no need for the 70-7551 if you purchased the PAC ROEM.

2. You said you have the Metra DD kit and Metra Antannae adapter already. The only other thing I can think of is maybe a steering wheel interface if you want to use the steering wheel buttons.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:41 PM
Excellent, and thanks to you both.

One last question (for now)

The PAC-ROEMNIS2 says it's "plug and play" but I assume I still need to crimp or solder the wiring? If so, how did you go about that?