Energy Suspension Bushings installed - AWD - Page 2 - G35Driver
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

Energy Suspension Bushings installed - AWD

Old 07-26-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilv2xlr8 View Post
How many miles did you have on your X prior to changing these out? Also, random question but did you have any issues with oil pooling in any of the coil packs? Just trying to gauge what some of you X guys did who are coming up or past your Powertrain warranty.

My Powertrain warranty is ending in September and I haven't gotten a chance to check it. Looks like a PITA. Maybe I'll have to take it over to PX.
not really a PITA from the looks of it. just gotta know what your doing. I'm at 60k now, i'll find out shortly if i have valve cover issues when i do the plugs sometime this week or the next. i'm an 05 so my warranty has been done with.

i did try to get my compression rod warrantied but they said it looked good, i see hairline cracks but w/e
Old 05-09-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35xChicago View Post
So i installed the following: Compression Rod bushings, Lower Inner Control Arm bushings. Also installed new lower ball joints (eBay).

Install overall was a breeze with the exception of the passenger side compression bushing that just wouldnt come off. I ended up using an air hammer and cutting into it with a dremel, then using some PB blaster and twisting it downwards with a pipe wrench until it came off. Same issue MikeDG had on here. I used a handpress tool on the ball joints. From a glance, they seem very good quality for China. Lets hope they hold up.

I had purchased the Lower Outer Control arm (shock mount) bushings, but found that they DO NOT fit the X without modification. I should have figured this would have been the case since we need different shocks/coils on our cars. The ID of the metal sleeve was too small. This, however, can be solved by doing some measuring and using a drill press right into the metal sleeve. The bushing itself fit the space perfectly fine width/length.

Overall i am VERY pleased with how my car rides now. All squeaks/cracks/clunks are gone. Handles much better over bumps/curbs/uneven surfaces. Car feels much "tigher" at highway speeds.

I also found that one of my sway bar endlinks completely ripped out of the sway link mount. Does not seem like this can be replaced by simply getting new end links...will post more on this later.
Do you have any newer pics with the ES bushing kits installed? And it's been about 2 yrs since you've gotten them put on. How does it feel now? Want to know the durability.

Last edited by ㄴㅇㅇㄱ ninja; 05-09-2013 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Just added more text
Old 05-22-2013, 01:21 PM

Bump
Old 08-21-2013, 11:13 PM

I just installed my ES inner and outer lower control arm bushings on my AWD sedan. You can re use the stock metal insert from the outer (shock mount) bushing if you grind it down a little bit to get it to slide into the new bushing. Use an axel nut socket to press fit the bushings with a vice because it's tight with the AWD modification. Worth it in the end, my car feels great now.
The Following User Says Thank You to yosip1115 For This Useful Post:
Rodney Bryant (06-22-2016)
Old 05-20-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosip1115 View Post
I just installed my ES inner and outer lower control arm bushings on my AWD sedan. You can re use the stock metal insert from the outer (shock mount) bushing if you grind it down a little bit to get it to slide into the new bushing. Use an axel nut socket to press fit the bushings with a vice because it's tight with the AWD modification. Worth it in the end, my car feels great now.
I realize this post is almost two years old, but was wondering if you could elaborate on modifying the strut mount bushing bolt sleeve. Why did you decide to grind down the old sleeve instead of drilling out the bushing to fit?
Old 08-30-2015, 11:12 PM

I am too very curious about the modifications. Im looking into replacing all the bushings and ball joints. What modifcations will i have to do to get the whole ES bushing kit to work with the awd suspension?
Old 09-17-2015, 05:43 PM

I swapped every suspension bushing on my X about 2 years ago with ES bushings.

The problem with the ES shock mount bushing on the X:
The inner metal sleeve's inner diameter is too small for the OEM bolt that is supposed to go into it. The RWD version's bolt is smaller. Therefore you must enlarge the ES metal sleeve's inner diameter in order for it to fit.

Another problem I have had is the ES compression rod bushing is crap. It puts too much strain on the steering rack and can cause damage. There is also a "gap" with the bushing that people say is normal after installing. However, I had the gap, and there was nothing "normal" feeling about it. Installing a big thick washer under the bushing will prevent this gap and make the car handle MUCH better. ALSO, When tightening the ES CR bushing, there was a noticeable caster change.

Just some advise.

In regards to the connecting rods and end links:
Mine were rust welded together (about 140k miles)
I had to literally cut the bolt with a saw-zaw to seperate them.
Those connecting rods are expendy too, like $50 a pop. I have been running the moog end links for about a year now with no complaints.
The Following User Says Thank You to itschuckster For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2015, 05:45 PM

The ball joints are fun too. They can be removed by removing the ring at the bottom and popping them out with a big a$$ hammer. If you purchased non-oem ones from ebay or amazon, you will need to enlarge the inner diameter to fit them. for some reason they are slightly larger..
Old 09-17-2015, 09:26 PM

It is way easier/more efficient to spend the 5 minutes with a bench grinder modifying the OEM inner collar for the shock mount than it would be trying to modify the 304SS collar provided by energy suspension. Just grind the outside down evenly until it fits into the new bushing. Without a lathe or a mill or a bench press with a really solid fixture it is going to be tough to modify that.
The Following User Says Thank You to yosip1115 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosip1115 View Post
Without a lathe or a mill or a bench press with a really solid fixture it is going to be tough to modify that.
I guess I did have that advantage.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itschuckster View Post
I guess I did have that advantage.
I'm spoiled to have all of this at my disposal now too, but most aren't! God bless them lol.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:20 PM

hate to bring up an old thread but i need to know if the od of the metal sleeve the same? if so id like to just re use that sleeve for looking at the info available the whiteline bushings are going to have the same issue for they even state on their site it wont fit the x model. id hate to have to just replaced every bushing on my lca to not be able to do that one since they are slowly on their way out as well
Old 06-23-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Bryant View Post
hate to bring up an old thread but i need to know if the od of the metal sleeve the same? if so id like to just re use that sleeve for looking at the info available the whiteline bushings are going to have the same issue for they even state on their site it wont fit the x model. id hate to have to just replaced every bushing on my lca to not be able to do that one since they are slowly on their way out as well
This whole thread is about energy suspension bushings, not whiteline ones. The energy bushings do not have a metal sleeve on the outside.

If you're talking about the collar on the inside (that the bolt goes through) then no, it is larger, but read my posts again.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:40 AM

ES part number

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35xChicago View Post
So i installed the following: Compression Rod bushings, Lower Inner Control Arm bushings. Also installed new lower ball joints (eBay).

Install overall was a breeze with the exception of the passenger side compression bushing that just wouldnt come off. I ended up using an air hammer and cutting into it with a dremel, then using some PB blaster and twisting it downwards with a pipe wrench until it came off. Same issue MikeDG had on here. I used a handpress tool on the ball joints. From a glance, they seem very good quality for China. Lets hope they hold up.

I had purchased the Lower Outer Control arm (shock mount) bushings, but found that they DO NOT fit the X without modification. I should have figured this would have been the case since we need different shocks/coils on our cars. The ID of the metal sleeve was too small. This, however, can be solved by doing some measuring and using a drill press right into the metal sleeve. The bushing itself fit the space perfectly fine width/length.

Overall i am VERY pleased with how my car rides now. All squeaks/cracks/clunks are gone. Handles much better over bumps/curbs/uneven surfaces. Car feels much "tigher" at highway speeds.

I also found that one of my sway bar endlinks completely ripped out of the sway link mount. Does not seem like this can be replaced by simply getting new end links...will post more on this later.
G35xChicago,

can you tell me what the part number is for the Energy Suspension bushings you used on your G35x? All the ES bushings I'm finding say they don't fit the AWD models. Thanks!
Old 02-15-2017, 11:44 AM

Check rock auto?

The install of poly bushings will make your G feel brand new again!