G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Energy Suspension Bushings installed - AWD

Old 07-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Energy Suspension Bushings installed - AWD

So i installed the following: Compression Rod bushings, Lower Inner Control Arm bushings. Also installed new lower ball joints (eBay).

Install overall was a breeze with the exception of the passenger side compression bushing that just wouldnt come off. I ended up using an air hammer and cutting into it with a dremel, then using some PB blaster and twisting it downwards with a pipe wrench until it came off. Same issue MikeDG had on here. I used a handpress tool on the ball joints. From a glance, they seem very good quality for China. Lets hope they hold up.

I had purchased the Lower Outer Control arm (shock mount) bushings, but found that they DO NOT fit the X without modification. I should have figured this would have been the case since we need different shocks/coils on our cars. The ID of the metal sleeve was too small. This, however, can be solved by doing some measuring and using a drill press right into the metal sleeve. The bushing itself fit the space perfectly fine width/length.

Overall i am VERY pleased with how my car rides now. All squeaks/cracks/clunks are gone. Handles much better over bumps/curbs/uneven surfaces. Car feels much "tigher" at highway speeds.

I also found that one of my sway bar endlinks completely ripped out of the sway link mount. Does not seem like this can be replaced by simply getting new end links...will post more on this later.

Last edited by G35xChicago; 07-25-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
What grease did you use for the ES bushings? I used a heavy duty marine grease, but the noise is killing me. I'm embarrassed by the noise when I go over speed bumps or even backing out (and turning) out of my driveway. Did you get any pics of the new bushings after they were pressed in? It seemed like mine didn't quite go in all the way, so maybe that is causing the noise.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
It should be white lithium grease. It comes with ES kit or can be purchased at any auto parts store.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:07 PM
That stuff with the kit was ok. I used Loctite anti seize grease, the silver kind. Zero noise.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sucks about the outer LCA bushings. I had a feeling they wouldn't work. If I buy another G, it will definitely be RWD so I can avoid all of the headaches finding aftermarket parts that actually fit.

As for the end links, can you explain which part needs to be replaced? I just installed new front and rear end links on mine a few weeks ago so I may be able to help.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:38 PM
^ Take a look at these photos. the driver side end link is out of its "socket", and the boot/rubber portion is torn. It seems like the issue is with the end link mount, not the end link itself??

when i look at photos of end links for sale, it does not seem like they would solve my problem. Do they come with the section that connects right into the control arm?? Let me know what you think. This is my first time looking at end links so i am clueless.

Attached Thumbnails Energy Suspension Bushings installed - AWD-photo.jpg   Energy Suspension Bushings installed - AWD-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 07-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
X
^^^ thats encouraging news on the bushings... I am at 87k right now and suspension could use an overhaul.... question on the shock mount bushings. You said you had to enlarge the metal sleeve. How much did you have to take off? Still a good amount of material left?

Old 07-26-2011, 02:51 AM
maybe this is why im confused on the end link situation: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Infin...Q5fAccessories

i looked at these immediately, but they dont come with the other end. just half of it?? I wonder if this is how the AWD ones are or if that ebay set is just incomplete.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:15 AM
Just as i figured, the AWD end link setup is completely different than the RWD. Of course no aftermarket alternatives although i hear Moog makes their versions of it.

Take a look: http://www.infinitipartsusa.com/part...e=14&model=G35 Sedan&year=2005&graphicID=3840560&callout=5&catalo gid=2&displayCatalogid=0

The RWD is a one piece assembly whereas the AWD seems to be a partial end link with what they call a "connecting rod", which mounts right into the center of the LCA. From what it seems like, all i need is the connecting rod.

Hope this helps someone.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:18 AM
Originally Posted by ccc123pm
^^^ thats encouraging news on the bushings... I am at 87k right now and suspension could use an overhaul.... question on the shock mount bushings. You said you had to enlarge the metal sleeve. How much did you have to take off? Still a good amount of material left?
Havent done it yet, still need to take measurements. but from the looks of it, it should still have enough material left to retain its strength, given its pure steel.

I am planning on doing this the same time i do the rear undershroud

Old 07-26-2011, 07:10 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
GOD... sounds annoying. Just when i was going to actually consider putting work into the X, we find out they have even more different parts. Seems like EVERYTHING in the front is different.

But now i wonder if our parts and the FX35 would work? 350z chassis but similar if not exact AWD system.

how long did everything take you? i'm showing signs of compression rod bushing being bad.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:29 AM
I could see how the shock mount bushings differ though, since we already know the shocks themselves are different. At least the other 2 bushings, the ones that are much more prone to going bad, are 100% interchangeable.

The only thing that really took long was the usual PIA: things being stuck/seized/rusted in place because of our weather conditions. Aside from having to pry open the old compression rod bushing, i also had a few bolts whose heads ripped off, so had to take the map gas torch to them, then replace with new ones (on that 3-point brace that connects to the suspension components)

The thing i hate is theres NO ONE to call as far as design engineers at Nissan, who would know which parts were used/shared with which cars and why. Stealerships usually dont have a clue, unless you can get a really good/experienced mechanic on the line. Even if the FX parts were identical, we'd never know because the part numbers would be different.

I seriously feel like i got a new car though, makes me love driving it again. Before it just felt like it was ready to fall apart while driving.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:49 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry for the slow response. You are correct, the front end links are different for the AWD and the connecting rod is what you need.

The connecting rod is actually the easier of the two to replace. The other part that is attached to the sway bar is a major PITA to remove. The two pieces are attached to each other using a tapered insert with a nut on the end. I did have a little trouble separating the two, but it's nothing a little banging with a hammer won't take care of. Just remove the nut on the end and two bolts connecting it to the LCA. You should be able to just hit the end of the tapered stud with a hammer until it pops out.

It's pretty straight forward once you get under there, but let me know if you have any questions.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many miles did you have on your X prior to changing these out? Also, random question but did you have any issues with oil pooling in any of the coil packs? Just trying to gauge what some of you X guys did who are coming up or past your Powertrain warranty.

My Powertrain warranty is ending in September and I haven't gotten a chance to check it. Looks like a PITA. Maybe I'll have to take it over to PX.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by ilv2xlr8
How many miles did you have on your X prior to changing these out? Also, random question but did you have any issues with oil pooling in any of the coil packs? Just trying to gauge what some of you X guys did who are coming up or past your Powertrain warranty.

My Powertrain warranty is ending in September and I haven't gotten a chance to check it. Looks like a PITA. Maybe I'll have to take it over to PX.
im at 90k, so been past the PT warranty or any warranty for quite some time. Have not had any oil pooling issues except when i needed a new engine cover gasket. Saw some oil sitting on top of my undershroud.

The following users liked this post:
ilv2xlr8 (07-28-2011)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Energy Suspension Bushings installed - AWD