G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

how is your G aging?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jonblizz
Ive had my 05 x for over a year now i hav about 82 k on it , i havent had any crazy problems out of it , the most maintenancce work ive done is change cabin filter and oil change !! Have you had any issues with the drive train at all . And are there any things in particular that you would be super pro active in monitoring on the car?
my car has been great.. just following my maintenance, had the wheel bearings done other than that brakes and tires!

Old 08-18-2011, 01:06 AM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Mine is an '05 5at and I bought it new in August of '05. I bought it sight unseen while it was on a boat from Japan. Everything I wanted, sport package, but no sunroof (no premium). It is a daily diver, 110 miles round trip. She has 127k on her and the only issues are the oil leak into the spark plug tube and a little worn spot where my *** rubs against the side bolster when I get in the car. Radio works, engine runs strong and trans runs great. Other than alot of sand blasting to the front end; it looks really good.

I plan on doing a sand damage claim within the next year for a repaint and making her a garage queen. I want to get an older Civic for regular unleaded and better gas mileage.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:43 AM
Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts
mine has been doing well, 05 @ 69k miles.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
mine is holding up great, ive got an 07 with just over 100k minor dents and dings, nothing to worry about

Old 08-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'03 here with 66,000 miles aging gracefully. Got it new back than.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:03 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
So far so good mechanically. (knock on wood)

Old 08-18-2011, 02:03 PM
Well I have a 03, that makes it 8 years old with 119,000 miles. I have owned it since 2005 so I have 6 years and 75,000 miles on it.

Have taken good care of it with the last change being the spark plugs and the 2 belts at 118,000 miles.

Other normal wear and tear are:
1. Tint started peeling off a little bit on both front windows at the bottom front corner (towards the side mirrors). Must be the high temperature here in south Florida.
2. All 4 door inside leather started to peel from the top. Have glued them back but keeps on peeling off. Again must be the heat here.

Planning on diff oil, trans oil and coolant flush by early next year. May need a new set of tires by mid next year.

No other major problems (knock on wood). Plan to keep this at least up to 150,000 miles, if possible more. Let's see. Love this G.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
The interior and exterior both look great...except for my beat up front bumper.

But that's the price I pay working in an industrial area. tons of rock trucks and various other equipment moving at all times. I got a little paint over spray but nothing major.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Have a 03 with 80k looks great and needs nothing but that elusive Nismo front bumper.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
03 sedan with 126k miles. Another DIY guy here. Only a couple things have gone wrong:
- stupid plastic gear in the driver seat, easy DIY fix if you can get a gear but a $1400 fix if you let the dealer replace the whole thing. I got a gear from a donor seat.
- changed plugs at 80k, oil found on the plug closest to the firewall on the driver side. Replaced driver side valve cover - to me, it was a pita. Passenger side looks like more of a pita with hoses in the way of one or two bolts at the rear of the valve cover.
- had to replace compressor/clutch. The teeth on the shaft wore down damn near to the nub. Was surprised that the teeth weren't very deep to start with. RockAuto to the rescue on that one.

Other than that, normal DIY work including oil/atf/diff/ps fluids. Brakes, belts and coming up soon, radiator hoses/thermostat/radiator cap. Kicking around O2 sensors, not sure if I should just wait for a failure or see if I can get some better mileage with new ones.

Cosmetically, car looks great inside and out. Only issue is the black plastic all around the outside, it has faded. Anyone have any good ideas for a product to bring it back to life? I think I am thinking of a dye product, one that will last. I tried one product but it did not work very well at all.

Oh yeah, one other thing. Driver side cat shield is loose (moving it side-to-side) and causes what sounds like a muffler starting to go bad at 1300RPM and 2600RPM. Have not found a DIY fix yet, and haven't been annoyed with it enough to have a shop spot weld it or something. Initial analysis done by the dealer: "All we could hear was a little rattling around in the driver side cat. New one will be $1100." This was when I stopped going to the dealer for anything - that was downright dishonest in my book. I almost never went there for anything other than ATF flushes anyway. Now I drain/fill so I'm on my own.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:49 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just hit 99,000 and she runs like a dream.

So far things I've replaced since buying the car at 92,000 are compression rods, ac belt, fluids (AT, coolant, p.steering, oil - GC , K and N oil filter, cabin filter, y-pipe, Yaw rate or G-sensor, tires, clear corners and Viper 5902 HD alarm system and remote starter.)

Last edited by bigjee; 08-18-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:06 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Very early 03.0 (02/02 and one of the first 5000 Gs ever built ) w/ 134,000mi (rolled over today)
I daily the car, and it's done pretty well, though it's age is showing in a couple places:

The AC compressor is loud (recall issue on the early ones, but I'm waaaaaaay out of warranty LOL)

My seats are getting worn, but no rips.

Suspension could stand to be tighter (I have Z suspension, but the shocks are starting to get old, and the other bushings/etc are still original, and it wouldn't surprise me if they're very worn.

I had an issue with the blose radio when I first got the car, so I gutted the CD changer and that fixed that, but now has no CD :/ and here lately the ac/radio board has been locking up/going dead/needing to be hit.

The up side is, I had already planned:
Coupe Seats, Coils, Sways, Bushings as needed, In-car PC... so that takes care of almost all the parts that are showing age... I just have to get around to actually doing it.
New Job means the G gets a little bigger budget though, so maybe some of those mods can be sooner rather than later

Old 08-21-2011, 04:26 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by gambit2083
04 6mt, she turns 85k this week :'(. Igot her last feb with 57k. Been holding up pretty good many WI to GA drives and only really two major issues: torn and leaking rack (i belive this was my fault, cheapo jack stand failed) and ac compressor went. Other than that shes a beast. Now the wifey wants one!

My car looks exactly like this down to the options i think.

Mine is a 04 6MT, same color, same black interior, have drilled and slotted rotors and clear corners and black grille. (No drop or rims tho. )

I have about 92k miles, I DD the ish out of it in NY bumper to bumper traffic. I learned to drive manual on this too.

It need a bunch of stuff done but overall a good car. I just need to save up and fix everything or sell the car to someone who can afford to maintain it properly. It was a mistake to buy this car being a broke college student.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:52 AM
I have a 2004 g35 sedan with 86k. it has the normal wear and tear(small rips on the seats by the seat controls like jayflyxx), but for the most part is mint. i love to baby all my cars and my g35 loves the attention. I always do all maintence on time and havent seen the engine light once for anything major(once for the gas cap, but was replaced within days).

Old 08-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dings in my 04 with 81K miles. A couple things went wrong this summer, clogged radiator and pulley bearing which stranded me in Colorado. Small hole in seat back from item in pocket. Missing paint on front bumper from car sliding into it.

Other normal stuff. Brakes done twice. Battery replaced twice. Third taillight replaced. Gas door solenoid replaced. Seat rail replaced. Weather stripping decaying, may see how much to replace. Don't want leaks or wind noise. Need to replace tires before winter?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: how is your G aging?