G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

snow tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
my AWD ran into trouble but that was due to ground clearance and not due to tires.

A/S would work but snow tires would be beastly. I drove a 350z home with snow tires and it was pretty decent.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by ccc123pm
I have not driven my G with snow tires, but then again I have no real justifiable need for snow tires. Just making a comment that for 99% of the time I have found that the AWD on all season tires will suffice. It may not be the absolute highest performance solution but I thought I would just tell him to evaluate whether or not he actually needs them.
The first part of your post is highly dependent on the second part. You don't need them 99% of the time because you don't live where it snows that much. I'd be stranded 40%-50% of the time if I didn't have snow tires.

I suggest Nokian WR G2's. http://www.nokiantires.com/. They're the only all-season tire that qualifies for the severe use symbol found on every snow tire (mountain and snowflake). They're especially good for the in-between climates because they don't wear down like regular snow tires in those in-between temperatures. Warm weather is death on snow tires. I've been running Nokians for many years, including 3 winters on my G35. My sisters all run them too on various cars and we all swear by them. You don't have to worry about taking them off too soon when it gets warm in March or April, only to get stuck in an early May snowstorm. It's the only snow tire I'll ever run.

Oh, I forgot. They're also the only severe use tire that has winter compound throughout the entire tread depth. All the others only have it down to 50% tread depth, beyond which they just become an ordinary all-season tire. Conti DWS stands for Dry Wet Snow, but once you wear out the Snow part, they effectively become DW. Then a little more wear and they become Dry only.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this might be a stupid question but I haven't driven my G35x in the winter yet and its just rolling up on us here do you guys think I need it? I heard the X in the G's are really good right now I have all seasons wold I need to get winters?

Old 10-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
My all seasons tires are done tread wise. So I'm going to swap to some winter tires/rims before snow comes. I don't want to use my stock rims in the winter.

Any opinions on just throwing on steelies on my 05 g35x awd sedan? Any positives or negatives to running steelies with my winter tires over alloy/stock rims etc?

Old 10-02-2011, 07:25 PM
This is for everyone! Alot of people make referals for certain tires which will cost you about $1000 plus. I'm going to keep it real with you guys so pay attention n ask questions if u must. I have a 04coupe rwd n 04x sedan {just bought}.
I cut corners alot because basically I like being cheap. Who doesn't? I live in ny n we had 3-4 blizzards last year. I ran 19 blizzaks on my rear tires only. Kept my all seasons in the front. I never got stuck once!!! Rwd so all the traction is needed in da rear. When I found myself in a ditch o snow I just hit the VDC off n spinner my blizzaks till I got out. No problems. VDC must be cut back on after u aren't stuck anymore. So what am I saying?

If u own a coupe n don't have the money? Buy two winter tires for the rears n know to hit ur VDC when your stuck. I bought my tires off of eBay. I have two extra 19s I don't use cuz of this trick. If you want them let me know. Good luck this winter guys

Old 10-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Typed through my iPhone. Excuse the errors guys.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Modifying bauss
I know this might be a stupid question but I haven't driven my G35x in the winter yet and its just rolling up on us here do you guys think I need it? I heard the X in the G's are really good right now I have all seasons wold I need to get winters?
Where do you live?

Old 10-02-2011, 10:27 PM
another Question, How much should i expect to pay to have my snow tires put on my stock rims? and do i only have to get them balanced? plz excuse my noobiness help is appreciated...

Old 10-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by Dan in St Louis
Where do you live?
I live in Calgary AB it snows alot when it does

Old 10-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by Canadiotica
My all seasons tires are done tread wise. So I'm going to swap to some winter tires/rims before snow comes. I don't want to use my stock rims in the winter.

Any opinions on just throwing on steelies on my 05 g35x awd sedan? Any positives or negatives to running steelies with my winter tires over alloy/stock rims etc?
Rather than steelies, look for some stock 17's in the Marketplace. The only disadvantage with steel is the weight, and that you'll probably spend almost as much as you would on a pair of used OEM 17's.

Originally Posted by Carrottop401
another Question, How much should i expect to pay to have my snow tires put on my stock rims? and do i only have to get them balanced? plz excuse my noobiness help is appreciated...
Call around, but usually between $10-$15 per tire. Balancing is usually included. That's one advantage too of having a spare set with your winters on them. Once I put my winters on this year, I'll have saved on 5 separate mountings, or a minimum of $200. Another year from now and my spare set of wheels will have paid for themselves.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:38 PM
Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
I just bought a pair of 17" ASA JH3 Wheels with Michelin Pilot Alpin tires for $290 off cragslist. Legit place to shop.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Modifying bauss
I live in Calgary AB it snows alot when it does
In that case yes, you will benefit from snow tires even with AWD.

If you order tires and wheels from Tire Rack at the same time they will mount and balance them and ship them to you ready to bolt on.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
X
Buckeye^ what do you do about TPMS with two sets of tires?

Old 10-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Dablakbradpitt
This is for everyone! Alot of people make referals for certain tires which will cost you about $1000 plus. I'm going to keep it real with you guys so pay attention n ask questions if u must. I have a 04coupe rwd n 04x sedan {just bought}.
I cut corners alot because basically I like being cheap. Who doesn't? I live in ny n we had 3-4 blizzards last year. I ran 19 blizzaks on my rear tires only. Kept my all seasons in the front. I never got stuck once!!! Rwd so all the traction is needed in da rear. When I found myself in a ditch o snow I just hit the VDC off n spinner my blizzaks till I got out. No problems. VDC must be cut back on after u aren't stuck anymore. So what am I saying?

If u own a coupe n don't have the money? Buy two winter tires for the rears n know to hit ur VDC when your stuck. I bought my tires off of eBay. I have two extra 19s I don't use cuz of this trick. If you want them let me know. Good luck this winter guys
Unless you plan on driving in a straight line everywhere, I would suggest putting winters on the front, too. My problem was never getting started or stopping, it was steering in fresh powder and wet slush. And not all the suggestions are $1000+, the continentals are up there with the best and will probably cost $500-$600. Just my two cents.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by ccc123pm
Buckeye^ what do you do about TPMS with two sets of tires?
I have 2 sets of TPMS, one for each set of wheels. Bought the second set in the Marketplace for cheap and put new cores in them (also cheap). Dealer programmed them for $20 total. I don't really need TPMS though, I'm pretty good about paying attention to my tires. Low pressure is the single biggest cause of poor gas mileage.