G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Fix loose leather on door panel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I agree that to do the job properly it is important to pull back the vinyl as far as possible to get the adhesive on all areas as eventually the old adhesive will fail and the vinyl will get loose somewhere else.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Turtles_ride
$5 for spray adhesive, non vlatile so the foam doesn't get melted, mine sprayed out blue. Peel back as much of the sponge and leather as you can to get the glue deep on the door panel and the spongy leather back. The key is to keep them apart until the spray glue starts to dry, thats when it will stick most permanently, then pull the leather up and tight so that you have lots to push up under the top of the door panel, push on and smooth by hand. You may want to stick something between the leather and door panel top to keep the leather from pulling back down until it dries good. Did all 4 of my doors 2 years ago, even tho only 2 needed it, with the panels still on the car, and they haven't come apart again yet, concave part on the rears has even stayed stuck in place.
which particular spray adhesive have you used ? what brand ?

Old 12-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got same issue driver door inside of the handle. have you fixed yours yet ?

Old 02-23-2014, 11:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to bring this back to life. I'm new to the forums and would rather do this then start a new thread about something that has already been covered! Some of my door panels have "bubbles" and is separating at the top. I drive an 04' X sedan.
1. How exactly do you get the spray glue in there?
2. Do I need to pull the leather all the way off with the panel still on?
I was quoted a $35 fix with the spray by a friend of mine at a body shop. Was trying to figure out what was the easiest route to go. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-02-2015, 06:43 PM
Sorry to revive an old thread once again. Although I sold my Coupe (after 10 years of ownership) my girlfriend's 06 G35 sedan is plagued with the same problem. After 2 tries by an upholsterer, I can see as well as being told that the only permanent fix for the door panels is to replace the leather with new pieces. Once the foam in destroyed, the reglue method will never hold up especially in the warmer climates. Good luck to all that have tried.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:47 PM
I tried gluing the panels back on, but the foam started to degrade and the leather peeled off again, but left the foam glued to the panel. Instead, I've just taken all of my leather panels off. I think I did it all in the summer and they came off nearly clean. Only a little bit of residue in a couple places. Pull the panels off slowly and it'll take most of the adhesive with it.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:36 PM
Peeling door panel

Sorry to bring this back from the dead once again. My girlfriend's 06 G35 sedan still has the front 2 door panels peeling away after numerous times trying to reglue even professionally. Has anyone tried replacing the material itself at an upholstery shop and what did it cost?

Old 12-06-2015, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by bocatrip
Sorry to bring this back from the dead once again. My girlfriend's 06 G35 sedan still has the front 2 door panels peeling away after numerous times trying to reglue even professionally. Has anyone tried replacing the material itself at an upholstery shop and what did it cost?
No worries. I ended up slicing a tiiiinnnnyyy hole in a non noticable spot and sprayed adhesive in as much as i could with those skinny straw things that attach to it and then pressed the loose spots until they stuck. Cant even tell i cut a tiny hole unless you looked really close. Worked for me

Old 12-07-2015, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by awalle01
No worries. I ended up slicing a tiiiinnnnyyy hole in a non noticable spot and sprayed adhesive in as much as i could with those skinny straw things that attach to it and then pressed the loose spots until they stuck. Cant even tell i cut a tiny hole unless you looked really close. Worked for me
Mine is not loose. It is peeling from the top across the front door panels on both sides. Looks like crap.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by bocatrip
Mine is not loose. It is peeling from the top across the front door panels on both sides. Looks like crap.
Oh i see. Mine was like that too. Do what i did, buy some vinyl trim and put it where it is peeling. It adds a cool look. Glue it in and it will never come loose again. I went with gray. Here is a pic

The following users liked this post:
bocatrip (12-07-2015)
Old 12-07-2015, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by awalle01
Oh i see. Mine was like that too. Do what i did, buy some vinyl trim and put it where it is peeling. It adds a cool look. Glue it in and it will never come loose again. I went with gray. Here is a pic
Great idea! Where did you get the vinyl trim and what exactly is it? Can you send a pic of the trim up close? What year is your G35 sedan? My girlfriend's 06 door panel looks slightly different. I What kind of glue did you use?

Last edited by bocatrip; 12-07-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I used Super 77, sprayed into lid dabbed paint brush in and painted the area needed to glue down and it looks like new.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:54 PM
Great solution to loose panels. Can you please advise what vinyl product you used and where I could procure some. I couldn't find the info in any of the threads.
Thanks

Old 04-18-2017, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by bergy52
Great solution to loose panels. Can you please advise what vinyl product you used and where I could procure some. I couldn't find the info in any of the threads.
Thanks
I got mine off ebay. Just search vinyl trim molding. Still holding good!

The following users liked this post:
rdymond (05-24-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 09:19 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
I just tore mine off and cleaned the panels. The color is the same underneath the leather so it looks fine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fix loose leather on door panel