G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

2006 G35x Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 G35x Question

I'm in the market for a 2005-2006 G35, but a 2006 G35x popped up for sale in town so I decided to go take it for a spin. My question is that if felt strange over bumps. Almost like the rear end was trying to hop out on it. This was during steady driving around 65 MPH on the highway and the bump(s) in question were going on/off overpasses.

Is that typical of all G35s? Just the G35x? Or just this car needs some work?

The car has 60,xxx miles on it and basically every option except navigation.

Thanks,
cmurphy

Old 01-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
I have an '06x with 74K, it does not do what you're describing. My best guess would be that it has a broken swaybar endlink - 60K miles is really pretty low, and it ~shouldn't~ need to have shocks replaced yet. Any idea on its history...has it ever been hit?

Old 01-09-2012, 06:11 PM
I am supposed to get more info on the car tomorrow. I was looking at it while on lunch so my time was limited.

It was the first G35 I had been in with with the keyless start. It looked kind of cheesy like it was a retrofit but it was obviously stock. Reclining rear seats were nice.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Keep us posted with what you find out tomorrow, good luck! I love the keyless start - very handy. Also, don't forget to hold the unlock button down on the remote to make sure all 4 windows go down when you're checking the car out again tomorrow.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 04 g35x has 100k+ miles on it and it does not do anything like that on the road...I would agree with TPI Monte SS and say it could be the rear sway front what quick search I did...

Old 01-10-2012, 12:59 AM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
My 06x doesnt do anything like that. not even at tripple digits.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the replies.

What does the unlock button and windows rolling down do? Just curious. I haven't run across that on the forum yet. If they consider my ridiculously low offer, I might take it for another spin and see if it does the same thing again.

Just to see if I'm on target, it is a 2006 G35x in pearl white with what I'd call wheat interior. 60,5xx miles on the car. Keyless start, automatic, 17" wheels, and reclining rear seats. It has wood trim inside instead of the brushed aluminum. At least one wheel was rashed from curbing and there is a paint chip that is showing signs of rusting about the size of a dime on the driver's door. Window tint is going to need replacing. Also it has a hideous front plate mount on it.

They are asking $18,000. I essentially offered them $12,000 to get started, but since it really isn't the interior color or the transmission I want, I don't want to go much more.

What other things should I look for? I didn't see a thread about 'What to look for when buying' so I'm sure this question gets asked a lot, sorry about that.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Holding down the unlock button on the key fob will either roll down the front two windows or the all 4 windows. If it does all 4 windows, it's the quickest way to check if the car has a premium package on it.

As for pricing, it seems like a fair price.
Although I don't see them going lower than the $15-16G range for price. $14 if your really lucky.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll sell you mine for $16,000 lol. 60,000 miles, black leather interior and brushed aluminum with prem package !

Old 01-10-2012, 12:29 PM
I bought my '06x almost a year ago for $15K with 64K miles on it - IMO the low mileage does help on the car you're looking at, but their price is high, especially if it isn't perfect. Location will play a big part in pricing as well - if you live in an area where there's little to no snow, there's no reason to buy an x. However, if you live up in the Northeast or some other area with unpredictable winters, the AWD is definitely nice to have. You'll also pay more at this time of year for an AWD car because it's in demand (especially if the winter has been bad with tons of snow).

Other than that, they really seem to be reliable - the '06s got upgraded brakes, so just look at like any other used car. How do the brakes feel, how does it shift, do all the electronics work, etc.

From what I've read on here, the later M6 cars with the Revup engines have oil consumption problems, so if that hasn't been addressed (or you dont' know it's history) be careful when buying one.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Just checked the car out again. They said they have $15,000 in it and they will sell it to me at cost. However, they low-balled me on my trades.

Down here in Kentucky, it only snows enough to stick to the roads once every two or three years. Even when it sticks, it is gone in a day or two.

I have heard about the oil consumption issues, but have a semi-local contact at an Infiniti dealer who has been running VIN numbers to check to see if they have been checked or had the issue resolved. What is the limitation on the warranty replacement? 70,000 miles?

Long story short is that I told the dealer I don't want that car so the most I'd give him was $12,500. We shook hands and he is going to look for what I want. If I'm spending my money, I'll get what I want, regardless of how long it takes to find it.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I wouldn't get something I wasn't absolutely thrilled about. Their price of 18k was ridiculous, but you're counter offer was just as laughable. Of course, I do realize that's how the game is played. I got my 05X from an Infiniti dealer in practically perfect condition, with premium package and navi for 16k with only 40k. Even with the low miles I wouldn't have paid 18k.

I was in the market for a nice black on black coupe, but the mileage, pricing, condition and options on this particular sedan I couldn't pass up. I guess what I'm trying to say is, unless you're blown away by something be patient and get what you want.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good call cmurphy, wait it out! And especially since you just mentioned Kentucky barely has snow, try skipping out on the x version of the car. It'll be cheaper, and less things to worry going wrong.
Good luck!

Old 01-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Id give you mine for 16k with Brembos on it. Im very close to parting out and picking up a SRT8.
06x Garnet fire red with black interior. 64k on it Single owner Single driver, Interior still smells like fresh leather lol.

But Im in NY. lol

Old 01-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Marc Bynum
I wouldn't get something I wasn't absolutely thrilled about. Their price of 18k was ridiculous, but you're counter offer was just as laughable. Of course, I do realize that's how the game is played. I got my 05X from an Infiniti dealer in practically perfect condition, with premium package and navi for 16k with only 40k. Even with the low miles I wouldn't have paid 18k.

I was in the market for a nice black on black coupe, but the mileage, pricing, condition and options on this particular sedan I couldn't pass up. I guess what I'm trying to say is, unless you're blown away by something be patient and get what you want.
My offer was rediculous. The next words to the sales guy was something like, "you realize I don't really want this car, right?"

I appreciate the other offers to sell me an x, but I really don't want the AWD and I DO really want a stick. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen any 6MT G35x cars.

I found two local-ish, southern (read as basically salt free), one owner, 2005+ G35 6MTs for sale in the $13,xxx range.

The next hurdle is offloading my Silverado and Honda 919.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2006 G35x Question