G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

AT Sedan DOES have "rear axle click"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by 05_SkylineSedan
Our '05 AT had it, rear passenger side. My guy said "loose axle bolt" (meaning nut I think). Pulled the cotter pin, removed the old nut, put on a new one (because, he said "the 'locking' part of that nut isn't meant to be reused"), a new cotter pin, and that was that - quiet. No additional disassembly or greasing as far as I know...
that's interesting... I wonder if just tightening it would have had the same affect?... the theory behind the tsb (greasing the shaft <no homo>) is minute loose tolerance causing the click. I suppose tightening would help (at least temporarily)... I'm curious to know if it's a perm fix.

Also, I dont know what he means by "locking" part... even the nut doesnt have a lock washer (that I recall).

Old 02-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Mr. Samster
Im a sedan and auto. i got the clicking sound at around 60k and the dealer fixed it. Now im at 150k and the sound hasn't come back. *knock on wood*
wow, I guess it is more prevalent with AT sedan than I realized... everything I recall reading has been coupe (I believe MT)...

now knowing what the click is, it makes sense that it would affect all Gs (regardless of transmission or body style). The coupe axles arent any different are they? I'm no coupe expert - but the wider rear end is accommodated by wheel width and offset, not different axles (I think)?

Anyway - I guess we know it's an AT sedan issue too (albeit no so common as MT coupe).

*Edit - or simply sedan is not reported on forums as often as coupes... or possibly - wider stance has something to do with it... I've had 20mm spacers every since flared fenders a couple years ago... 350Z and coupes have wider stance... Are those of you that reported sedan rear axle click using OEM offsets or possibly spacers or wider wheel/offset? <OEM wheels/size throws that theory out... please respond - now I'm curious

Last edited by OCG35; 02-11-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:45 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
140k, had the click for awhile, but haven't gotten around to fixing it.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by 5150DS
140k, had the click for awhile, but haven't gotten around to fixing it.
^^^ but you have a crown vic (this is for G35 AT sedan )... and dude, why are you advertising the rifle and shotgun? Now bad guys know where to look and to shoot you before you get to your trunk .

*Edit - if by "rack" you mean in the cab of your car, I hope to are LEO... otherwise you are asking for hassle in CA (legal or not).

Old 02-12-2012, 12:35 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
wow, I guess it is more prevalent with AT sedan than I realized... everything I recall reading has been coupe (I believe MT)...

now knowing what the click is, it makes sense that it would affect all Gs (regardless of transmission or body style). The coupe axles arent any different are they? I'm no coupe expert - but the wider rear end is accommodated by wheel width and offset, not different axles (I think)?

Anyway - I guess we know it's an AT sedan issue too (albeit no so common as MT coupe).

*Edit - or simply sedan is not reported on forums as often as coupes... or possibly - wider stance has something to do with it... I've had 20mm spacers every since flared fenders a couple years ago... 350Z and coupes have wider stance... Are those of you that reported sedan rear axle click using OEM offsets or possibly spacers or wider wheel/offset? <OEM wheels/size throws that theory out... please respond - now I'm curious
pretty much, it doesn't bother us sedan owners as much, i have that on my X. I figure i'll do it this summer when i do my 60k service.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:44 AM
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
I had the issue ever since I bought the car... Even with stock wheels. Don't think stance has anything to do with it.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:22 AM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
i had the click on regular 17inch stock wheels. i wasn't even lower yet.

Once I lowered the car, my compression rods bushing went out.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:32 AM
Received 103 Likes on 89 Posts
that's interesting... I wonder if just tightening it would have had the same affect?... the theory behind the tsb (greasing the shaft <no homo>) is minute loose tolerance causing the click. I suppose tightening would help (at least temporarily)... I'm curious to know if it's a perm fix.

Also, I dont know what he means by "locking" part... even the nut doesnt have a lock washer (that I recall).
Good question. Now that I look at the service manual I see that the cotter pin, wheel bearing, and dust shield are the only rear axle parts marked "always replace after disassembly". The nut is not. Oh well, cheap part.

We'll see if this "fix" stays fixed.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:45 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
are you AT Tim?
Yes I am.

A couple of people in the thread on my350 mentioned tightening the axle nut made the noise disappear and a few mentioned it didn't IIRC. Also, the axle nut should be replaced each time it's removed, but I didn't replace it or the cotter pin and after over 30K miles the click hasn't come back for me. I actually had to replace my driver's side axle due to a cracked boot so that nut has come off twice w/o being replaced.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I used to have a minor axle click ('05 X) and since I had just purchased the car, I had all the fluids done. A few weeks later the click is gone! I'm assuming it was the rear differential fluid that fixed the click so maybe try changing that if you haven't yet.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
^^^ but you have a crown vic (this is for G35 AT sedan )... and dude, why are you advertising the rifle and shotgun? Now bad guys know where to look and to shoot you before you get to your trunk .

*Edit - if by "rack" you mean in the cab of your car, I hope to are LEO... otherwise you are asking for hassle in CA (legal or not).
I be da popo. I guess I forgot the P220 Elite Dark in the holster, taser and RCB baton. I was tired of it anyway, so I changed it.

Last edited by 5150DS; 02-12-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im glad to know thats what that is. Ever since I got the car (3-4 months ago) I have noticed that. I never told my mechanic because it never dawned on me. Lately ive been dreading taking it in to figure out what it was since Im low on funds

Somewhat of a relief, and now I can get my mechanic to fix it next time I go in.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the rear axle click when my 5AT sedan was fairly new...probably 20k-ish miles. The dealer fixed it via the TSB. I am approaching 80k now and the click has not returned.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Do MT and Autos have diff axles?

Old 02-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts
^That would surprise the ever living crap out of me. I can't see Nissan changing the diff housing or axels at all between any of the models, even the 350 would likely be the same. doesn't make sense to spend money making different parts.

I don't know though, Nissan's done sillier things, to be sure! Curious question.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AT Sedan DOES have "rear axle click"