G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Android Tablet - Double Din???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Android Tablet - Double Din???

Hello!

So I am still a pretty new member here at G35Driver and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice? I have looked at other forums across the internet about my topic, but none of it was much help.

Basically, as my title states, I am looking to install a 7" Android tablet in to my dash. I have seen different windshield and cup holder mounts across the web, but from all the reviews I read it seems to be very unstable. Plus I wanted to have the luxury of having it in fitted in to my dash, thus reducing the risk of it being an easy target for a thief.

I like the idea of having an Android tablet because of all it has to offer. I currently have a rooted Droid Incredible 2 running ICS. I can tether my phones 3G connection (I have an unlimited data plan) and GPS to whichever 7" tablet I choose (a 10" just seems to big and is more expensive). This will allow me to use Google Maps as my navigation system, Google Music as my audio player, YouTube for videos, Torque for my OBD2 reader, any equalizer app on the Android Market, a SlingBox app to watch my cable TV when I am parked waiting in my car, and the possibilities go on....

Before getting my G35, I was driving a Ford Taurus. This means I had no interest in setting up a nice car audio setup, thus I have no prior car audio experience. Let me start off with asking a few questions:

1. Will a 7" tablet fit easily in to any 7" double din, or will I be needing to preform some custom modifications to it?

2. How will I get my audio hooked up to the tablet? Do I just need to purchase an amp that has a 3.5mm output and run that to my tablet? If so, how can I do this without any cords showing, since the input on most tablets is located on top of the device? (sorry that was three questions condensed into one)

3. How will I be able to get power to my device? I know most, if not all, tablets use USB 2.0 to charge the device. I do have a USB charger plugged in to my cigarette lighter, but I do not want to have to run a cord from that charger to the device.

4. I have been wanting to get rid of my dreaded wood interior trim. I am assuming that I will be needing to remove it when inserting a double din. Would it be easier to switch the interior trim while I am doing this audio project, or is switching the trim a pretty easy project by itself?

I am sure I will come across many more questions throughout this project. If any kind soul has some helpful advice, it will be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I dunno, but you might have more luck here;

https://g35driver.com/forums/car-pc-175/

Old 02-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by FtWayneWheeler
Hello!

So I am still a pretty new member here at G35Driver and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice? I have looked at other forums across the internet about my topic, but none of it was much help.

Basically, as my title states, I am looking to install a 7" Android tablet in to my dash. I have seen different windshield and cup holder mounts across the web, but from all the reviews I read it seems to be very unstable. Plus I wanted to have the luxury of having it in fitted in to my dash, thus reducing the risk of it being an easy target for a thief.

I like the idea of having an Android tablet because of all it has to offer. I currently have a rooted Droid Incredible 2 running ICS. I can tether my phones 3G connection (I have an unlimited data plan) and GPS to whichever 7" tablet I choose (a 10" just seems to big and is more expensive). This will allow me to use Google Maps as my navigation system, Google Music as my audio player, YouTube for videos, Torque for my OBD2 reader, any equalizer app on the Android Market, a SlingBox app to watch my cable TV when I am parked waiting in my car, and the possibilities go on....

Before getting my G35, I was driving a Ford Taurus. This means I had no interest in setting up a nice car audio setup, thus I have no prior car audio experience. Let me start off with asking a few questions:

1. Will a 7" tablet fit easily in to any 7" double din, or will I be needing to preform some custom modifications to it?

2. How will I get my audio hooked up to the tablet? Do I just need to purchase an amp that has a 3.5mm output and run that to my tablet? If so, how can I do this without any cords showing, since the input on most tablets is located on top of the device? (sorry that was three questions condensed into one)

3. How will I be able to get power to my device? I know most, if not all, tablets use USB 2.0 to charge the device. I do have a USB charger plugged in to my cigarette lighter, but I do not want to have to run a cord from that charger to the device.

4. I have been wanting to get rid of my dreaded wood interior trim. I am assuming that I will be needing to remove it when inserting a double din. Would it be easier to switch the interior trim while I am doing this audio project, or is switching the trim a pretty easy project by itself?

I am sure I will come across many more questions throughout this project. If any kind soul has some helpful advice, it will be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who would like to do this, including myself, but a couple points deter me from doing so.

as far as audio goes, I'm pretty sure 3.5mm is the only way to get sound out of the android, or the converter to the red and white audio jacks. These cars come with a Bose stereo system, the 3.5mm doesn't do it justice when it comes to overall low end sound, where a aftermarket double din will have much more accurate sound. and plus, how many times has the 3.5mm jack on your phone or something stopped working, just doesn't seem very reliable.

If you live somewhere cold, like myself, it'll put a lot of pressure on the android leaving it in the car when it gets to -30 C, plus androids have a lot of software upgrades, how will you remove it to do all the upgrades and such.

just my 2 cents, if it works out post pics and let us know how it works!

Old 02-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by takeitez
I'm sure there are a lot of people who would like to do this, including myself, but a couple points deter me from doing so.

as far as audio goes, I'm pretty sure 3.5mm is the only way to get sound out of the android, or the converter to the red and white audio jacks. These cars come with a Bose stereo system, the 3.5mm doesn't do it justice when it comes to overall low end sound, where a aftermarket double din will have much more accurate sound. and plus, how many times has the 3.5mm jack on your phone or something stopped working, just doesn't seem very reliable.

If you live somewhere cold, like myself, it'll put a lot of pressure on the android leaving it in the car when it gets to -30 C, plus androids have a lot of software upgrades, how will you remove it to do all the upgrades and such.

just my 2 cents, if it works out post pics and let us know how it works!
I've actually never came across the 3.5mm on my phone/tablet not functioning. Though I have had the actual 3.5mm cord stop functioning. The cause of this is often times from pulling the cord out of the device improperly, or to frequently. If I only have to plug it in once during the installation process, this shouldn't be an issue.

As to the software upgrades, I would be rooting the device before the installation. I then will be installing a custom recovery, called ClockworkMod. The new version of ClockworkMod is touchscreen. This will allow me to download any new software updates (called ROMs) and install them directly from the device, without having to access any hardware buttons.

As to the weather issue: You are right, that could be a problem. I live in central Indiana, so it can get pretty cold here during the winters, though it was 55 outside today

I could see how it could be harmful for the device if the temperatures were extremely cold, but wouldn't the same issue apply to any after-market display unit (or navigation system)?

P.S. I am going to take the advice from the 1st replier and move this over to the Car/Audio forum, in case you wanted to keep tabs on the progress of this. I myself will not be able to begin on this project until at least another month at the minimum, as my college life budget is rather tight . I just wanted to gather as much information as possible before I begin.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:13 PM
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
It'll be fine in the extreme cold. Overclockers in the PC world use liquid nitrogen to cool processors. -30 F is nothing compared to that.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:37 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
If you mount it in you car, it will be stolen.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
i know i'm a little late on this but....

Old 05-30-2012, 04:28 PM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
Too bad that's awesome lol. Any daytime pics? Custom double din pictures? Looks sweet

Old 05-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanm8
It'll be fine in the extreme cold. Overclockers in the PC world use liquid nitrogen to cool processors. -30 F is nothing compared to that.
That is true, but the only way to use liquid nitrogen is to have a motherboard that was manufactured specifically to work at zub-zero temps. Which is usually a BIOS revision as well as some beefed up hardware for the board itself. Otherwise, at freezing temps, it could cause an issue for standard electronics, That are not insulated against the elements. But still it is highly unlikely any damage will occur in freezing conditions while mounted inside of a car. Chances are higher for something to happen if it gets too hot. Like a solder point cracking from expanding and contracting due to temperature changes.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:44 PM
i'll try to get some day pics up. its not inn a double din however it sits on the compartment where the Nav would go

Old 05-30-2012, 04:57 PM
and its mounted with velcro so i can pull it off whenever i want

Old 05-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Used an iSimple which I already had installed because my car does not have an auxilary port and the iSimple made it possible. then i took a cigarette lighter socket adapter and spliced the power from the regular cigarette lighter on the back side. i wired the cable up the the compartment where the nav usually sits. since i dont have a nav it was just storage. i drilled a hole in the side and pushed the socket adapter. then i got a ac power inverter and plugged it into the socket i just wired into the nav compartment to charge the tablet and plugged in the 3.5mm plug from the iSimple for auxilary.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Old 05-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Banned
I was under the impression that a 7' tablet was just the size of the screen not the actual size of the device

Old 05-30-2012, 07:16 PM
you would be correct and that is why i could not fit this inside the double din

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Android Tablet - Double Din???