G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Calling all with the z/g drop - let me know what you think

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Calling all with the z/g drop - let me know what you think

I've got an 05 sedan and have been thinking alot about using the z springs in front and g coupe springs in rear. I've already got the springs and I'm saving forthe struts. I'm wanting to know how the ride quality is with the different kinds of struts. I know many use the coupe shocks and some of you use aftermarket. How is the ride with each? Also, did anyone use the sedan shocks/struts and if so, how did it ride? I'm thinkig of just going with coupe shocks that have about 50k miles on them but I'm wondering if I should just got ahead and buy some new shocks. I figured the oem will probably be fine for awhile but they won't last too long so I'm better off buying new. Am I right about the oem coupe struts? I'd like to get you're honest opinion of this drop and I'd like to get it from those of you that have actually don it rather than from those of you that have read or heard.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts
sell the springs, get coils. or save up for coils. the single best decision you will ever make, i learned the hard way like many others.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 350z drop springs on my g35 all the way around and I replaced the struts with Tokico blue stuts all and all I got a 2.5 inch drop rides great and handles like its on rails have had the set up for a year now no problems

Old 04-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Dropped on z all around with OEM shocks for about 2 years+ with no issues at all. But going to buy BC coils soon, once you drop it, you'll always want it lower and lower as the days goes by. So might as well invest on coils now and save time/money.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by socialconflicts
sell the springs, get coils. or save up for coils. the single best decision you will ever make, i learned the hard way like many others.
What do you mean you learned the hard way?

Originally Posted by norcalG
I have 350z drop springs on my g35 all the way around and I replaced the struts with Tokico blue stuts all and all I got a 2.5 inch drop rides great and handles like its on rails have had the set up for a year now no problems
You're talking about aftermarket z springs I'm guessing? I was actually looking at the tokicos. Glad to know they ride nice. They're the only kind of aftermarket shocks I've ever used.

Originally Posted by kayveeee
Dropped on z all around with OEM shocks for about 2 years+ with no issues at all. But going to buy BC coils soon, once you drop it, you'll always want it lower and lower as the days goes by. So might as well invest on coils now and save time/money.
You on oem z springs and shocks? I really doubt I'll lower the car anymore after this drop. I plan on getting either z anniversary wheels or g37s wheels and be done as far as suspension.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:53 PM
I have eibach drop spring the I got off a 350z in a junk yard not factory z springs

Old 04-07-2012, 04:00 PM

this is how low it was after i put the springs and struts in nice and low

Old 04-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Old 04-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
I had the Z/G combo with D-Specs.

Then full Z suspension with D-specs

now im going for Tanabe coils.

Get coils

Old 04-07-2012, 04:23 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Get coils well worth it

Old 04-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Rolling with Revised Z Springs, aka same drop as G/Z Springs. On my OEM Sport Struts everything is peachy.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:03 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I did Tokico Blues with the revised Z springs all around. I went from a sedan sport suspension and while it's noticeably stiffer, it's no where near as bad as my old GTI with Bilstein PSS9s. That was rock solid compared to the Z springs.

In hindsight, I would've preferred to use the Tokico D-Specs for a little bit of fine tuning. The rear is a little stiffer than I'd like it to be and seems to step out a little sooner than I think it should, but that's only if the car is really being pushed.

Personally, I think the revised Z springs are the perfect OEM+ option if you want a better handling G. Other coils and coilovers will go lower, but my suspension arms are still over parallel.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:40 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I've run revised Z's all around then with G's in the front then G's in the rear then Z's with G's lol soon it will be back to revised z's all around again...I like the car best with those. Kinda stiff in the back with the Tokico Blues but the lack of body roll was worth it.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by itgogitrev
Personally, I think the revised Z springs are the perfect OEM+ option if you want a better handling G. Other coils and coilovers will go lower, but my suspension arms are still over parallel.
Originally Posted by pulsar1
I've run revised Z's all around then with G's in the front then G's in the rear then Z's with G's lol soon it will be back to revised z's all around again...I like the car best with those. Kinda stiff in the back with the Tokico Blues but the lack of body roll was worth it.
so the revised z springs are the best you guys have had so far huh. i've done alittle reading about those but, not much. when did they start the revised z springs? i was going to buy a set off of a track edition z. i forget which year but, me and the guy were discussing them he was saying something about them being different from others. i think i've still got his contact info. what's a good price one used springs? i got my current rears for $40 and the fronts in a trade. i also got the top hats for the rears incase i need them.

thanks for all the input guys. give me more details on the revised z springs and i'll try and contact the guy if they're the right ones. if they're the same drop but, better then i'd definitely like to go with those instead of my current set. i don't mind the rears being more stiff really. i do mostly highway driving and the roads around here are decent so the ride should be fine still.