G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Drivers seat won't move front or back only - motor and switch are fine? Rails stuck?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 06:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Drivers seat won't move front or back only - motor and switch are fine? Rails stuck?

I noticed past couple of days that when I move my seat front or back the motor would be a bit noisy sort of make a sluggish sound.

Last night I moved the seat all the way back and it got stuck. It would not move in front. I wiggled in the seat a bit and then it moved front. I then moved it back again and it was stuck. I press the front/back switch and the motor does not run - but I see the room lamp got a tiny bit dim which means power is there to the switch and motor.

I searched the forums and issue could be:

1. Plastic cog is broken or its grooves are messed up
2. Motor is dead
3. Switch is dead
4. Seat misaligned on rails.

I removed the plastic trim in front of the motor (below seat cushion) to start the troubleshooting. I then removed the 3 screws on each side and got the motor out. I pressed the switch and motor works and switch works.

I put the motor back and tighened screws and same problem. I repeated the removal and motor is fine.

I checked the plastic cog and none of the grooves are messed up. It seems to be that the seat has got misaligned on the rails.

Question: Can I remove the seat myself? what measures should I take to prevent the airbag from going off.

Thanks,
Clint

Attached Thumbnails Drivers seat won't move front or back only - motor and switch are fine? Rails stuck?-1.jpg   Drivers seat won't move front or back only - motor and switch are fine? Rails stuck?-2.jpg   Drivers seat won't move front or back only - motor and switch are fine? Rails stuck?-3.jpg   Drivers seat won't move front or back only - motor and switch are fine? Rails stuck?-4.jpg   Drivers seat won't move front or back only - motor and switch are fine? Rails stuck?-5.jpg  

Old 04-13-2012, 06:06 AM
last picture

Attached Thumbnails Drivers seat won't move front or back only - motor and switch are fine? Rails stuck?-6.jpg  
Old 04-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You can remove the seat yourself, just make sure to undo all of the plugs below the seat. I just had mine out a couple of months ago to weld a broken bracket.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Yeah I saw your post about that but no mention about airbags.

Anyways good news - today evening sat in the car to go out and tried the switch and seat moves back and front now. Although I can tell something is a bit funny about it moving - probably rails or track is damaged.

Since its me driving 90% of the time no need to fix it

Old 04-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your pic of the plastic gear is pretty blurry, but that is a VERY common thing to occur if that is your issue. You do not need to take the seat out to replace it - you were already pretty much there. Of course, Nissan does not sell that part separately, which is a disgrace. You can get a replacement gear here: http://www.odometergears.com/product...+02-Present/98

And yes, $65 is a great option considering the dealer will want to replace the whole $#&*# seat.

Not sure if that's your issue because typically when that nylon gear goes bad, it doesn't start working again. Good luck.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:19 PM
The plastic gear/cog is fine. It has alot of grease on it still (stock) and none of its grooves are damaged.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check the button housing with a phillips and a flathead to seperate the clips it could be dirty

Old 04-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you are worried about the airbags remove the battery negative terminal, that will cut the power to the bags. either way the sensors to detonate the bags are not under the seat so you should be fine, good luck

Old 04-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Any updates?

Old 04-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by clinthammer
Yeah I saw your post about that but no mention about airbags.

Anyways good news - today evening sat in the car to go out and tried the switch and seat moves back and front now. Although I can tell something is a bit funny about it moving - probably rails or track is damaged.

Since its me driving 90% of the time no need to fix it

Nope no updates as you can see by my quoted post - the seat is moving again. So unless I really need to move it back and forth for someone else I will leave it as is for now. I have a 150,000 kms service due at dealer in a few days so will ask my buddy there to check it out.