G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

8in Sub install??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 05:33 PM
TXG
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question 8in Sub install??

So i've been thinking of installing an 8in sub in the spot where the bose one would be in if i had the bose system. I just need a little bass not a lot tho, but i haven't installed an aftermarket deck. Any way to hook up the amp and sub to the stock deck?

trying searching couldn't find anything

Thanks

Luis.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a little curious about this as well. I've actually been thinking about replacing the bose sub with a nicer one with a small aftermarket amp to just add a little more bass to the system and I'm wondering if anyone has tried that.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:54 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
The rear deck is too flimsy to put a "real" sub back there, it will rattle like hell. Aftermarket subs should go in the trunk in an appropriate box. My favorite is the 4080 side enclosure but they're expensive.

The following users liked this post:
Wrathernaut (04-22-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
The rear deck is too flimsy to put a "real" sub back there, it will rattle like hell. Aftermarket subs should go in the trunk in an appropriate box. My favorite is the 4080 side enclosure but they're expensive.

What size sub is that? I have a 15 in my truck and the smallest box possible and it takes up most of the trunk. How expensive are you talking for that enclosure?

Old 04-19-2012, 06:44 PM

Boxology only makes a box for the sedan that houses a 12" sub. They're $315 w/o a grill plus shipping. Here's the link. http://mysosinc.com/box_inf_gsedans_G35.html

Old 04-19-2012, 08:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a nice box, but wow expensive for some wood and trim....SMH.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts
That is pretty expensive, although they probably put a lot of planning into it.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:55 PM

I bought mine used and paid nowhere near that price. They are also custom molded out of fiberglass (no wood involved) and built to exact specs for a 12" sub and fit the trunk like a glove. I can still lay a set of golf clubs across the trunk but I've gotta pull out my driver.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the process of a DIY 8 sub in the rear deck. i did have a sub in it, but it fits too close to the rear seats. So, there is no room for a box. i cut out a little of the rear deck (left the spot welds) and built a sealed box for my RF punch 8. i get no rattles. have all my room left and have some nice bass. I had to cut the carpet piece that covers in the trunk a little. but i can still put in the baby strollers, go shopping and all. I can post some pics in the morning.

Last edited by thaipitbull; 04-21-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
If you plan on putting a sub in the rear deck, realize that in order for it to properly be set up, you need to seal up the front waves from the back waves. If you look up what an infinite baffle setup is, that's exactly what you're doing. Also realize that whatever the sub's power handling is, you now need only half the power since you're using the trunk as your enclosure (one huge box). Also, make sure to use some sound deadener. I'd recommend some liquid deadener and possibly even some foam like material used for sound deadening.

In all honesty, it's a lot of work. What I'd recommend is going with a single or dual 8's, maybe a single 10, one that doesn't require much volume for the enclosure, and have a box made that takes shape to the rear seats to maximize space. You really won't need a powerful amp and there's plenty of small footprint amps that are out there. If you need something that packs a lot of power and still need a small footprint, the Alpine PDX amps are one choice to consider.

There are plenty of subs to go with, just go on a car audio forum like caraudio.com or caraudioclassifieds.org and search. Ask around as well and you'll find plenty of useful information. There's a bunch of subs people don't know about just because they're not mainstream and sold in big chain stores. Don't get me wrong, companies like JL Audio make great drivers, but I've owned a lot of subs, I'm talking over 50, and I've had a few 10's and 12's that get louder than a 13w7 and with less power, not to mention, sound much better. It's all in the driver, not the size.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I know this may come off as being a little conservative, but I have had alot of success supplementing the factory head units in my last 3 cars with an Infinity Basslink.

Amazon Amazon

In my 2004 sedan with the non-Bose setup, it mounts neatly up into the left corner of the trunk, and when tuned correctly, is very complimentary to the factory unit.

In addition, most people that see it in the trunk think its a factory upgrade.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
I know this may come off as being a little conservative, but I have had alot of success supplementing the factory head units in my last 3 cars with an Infinity Basslink.

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Bassl.../dp/B000063TJY

In my 2004 sedan with the non-Bose setup, it mounts neatly up into the left corner of the trunk, and when tuned correctly, is very complimentary to the factory unit.

In addition, most people that see it in the trunk think its a factory upgrade.
That is actually really tempting. I used to run 15 inch kickers in my old car but I got tired of so much bass since I mostly listen to rock. Do you think this would be an upgrade over my current BOSE setup in my 2nd gen sedan? Not looking for major thumping, otherwise my kickers would be in there already lol Never tried Infiniti audio products before so not sure what to expect.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:28 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
If there is ever too much bass, you can get a gain ****.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:33 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by The Stimulation
If there is ever too much bass, you can get a gain ****.
I have an extra epicenter at home for that, but it is just way too much trunk space to put my kickers in. I know there are plenty of options for small subs. But just the combo amp/sub looked like a good deal. Except after reading the reviews, it looks like the majority of those combos just blow up after a year or less of use.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Interested in pics
Originally Posted by thaipitbull
I'm in the process of a DIY 8 sub in the rear deck. i did have a sub in it, but it fits too close to the rear seats. So, there is no room for a box. i cut out a little of the rear deck (left the spot welds) and built a sealed box for my RF punch 8. i get no rattles. have all my room left and have some nice bass. I had to cut the carpet piece that covers in the trunk a little. but i can still put in the baby strollers, go shopping and all. I can post some pics in the morning.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 8in Sub install??