Old 05-04-2012, 01:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clean good choice

Old 05-04-2012, 01:11 AM
Clean, good choice

Old 05-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
e46 m3 is a great car. Does it have side airbags? I do like it better than the current 335i and e92? m3 even though it's slower. 335i just has a bland styling direction, like the G37.

I was priced out of the m3 just looking at repair costs, and especially the catastrophic repair costs (auto transmission or engine). Also the mechanics: "oh you have an M3? that'll be 50% more labor"

Old 05-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jomamahama
e46 m3 is a great car. Does it have side airbags? I do like it better than the current 335i and e92? m3 even though it's slower. 335i just has a bland styling direction, like the G37.

I was priced out of the m3 just looking at repair costs, and especially the catastrophic repair costs (auto transmission or engine). Also the mechanics: "oh you have an M3? that'll be 50% more labor"
Hm... I really haven't checked but I am pretty sure it does. I think most high-end cars during those years all have passenger side airbag.

And I am glad I got the M3, not the 335i which I was considering. I had a chance to drive the 328i and did not like it at all. Although the car is very solid, refine and quieter than my G, I would still prefer my old G35. The 328 feels very artificially isolated and very uninvolved. Don't know why ... There is nothing that feels special. I am not sure how the 335i would feel like although many M3 drivers said they feel pretty boring other than the high low end torque of the turbo.
I did drive the new G37 and I hate to say it but the 328i is definitely more solid, more quiet as well. I think Infiniti engineers need to pay more attention to chassis development. But the new G will be based on the Mercedes C class so it will be interesting to see.

Also I am not sure about the E46 M3 being slower than the 335i. The 335i may have the initial jump because of its low end torque but once above 80mph, the M3 should start pulling ahead. I have friends who raced them side by side and can confirm that.

Edit: I've checked and it does have passenger side airbag.

Last edited by LudwigB; 05-09-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:04 AM
Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts
I think the best thing about infiniti, is that it IS still kind of 'raw'. Not cushy, disconnected, etc, like most luxury cars, especially these days.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:36 AM
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Since you brought up the fact that your G is lowered.... Has it been PROPERLY aligned?

I took my G to the stealership 18 times for alignments and not once did they ever get it right! I took it to a chassis alignment shop and they modified the rear cross member so that the wheels in the rear can be brought to spec and viola INSTANT difference in corners.

Before I had a curve on the highway that I could take with a loaner G sedan with absolutely not one hint of drama and with my car it would feel disconnected and completely on the edge of traction. Upon fixing that alignment issue the car feels many times better than the loaner and it truly feels connected back to where it belongs with the modifications that I have made to the vehicle.

Perhaps all you need is just a proper alignment (if this is your only problem)

A few things to consider:

BMW = Break My Wallet.

Not only on repairs, but also on insurance.

If you can afford it, and it makes you happy; DO IT!!! If not reconsider your options.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:53 AM
Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by TunerMax
I think the best thing about infiniti, is that it IS still kind of 'raw'. Not cushy, disconnected, etc, like most luxury cars, especially these days.
Because they're Nissans in tuxedos. Most other luxury cars are only what they are. There is no lesser BMW or Mercedes Benz. Other luxury brands aren't meant to feel raw unless you by the models specifically designed for it, M series, AMG, RS models... The everyday models are meant to be refined and classy. Not "drivers" cars. I loved my 1st car a 99 Ford Mustang and I loved my G even more but my 335i does everything the G does but better. Its quicker, faster, more nimble and everything feels incredibly sturdy. Nothing will ever be as beautiful and stylish as the G in my eyes. And yes my insurance went up by about 20 bucks a month and its already been in the shop twice since I got it about 3 months ago. So like everyone has said it will get expensive if you go FI or buy another car.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Eric@TCGMiami
Since you brought up the fact that your G is lowered.... Has it been PROPERLY aligned?

I took my G to the stealership 18 times for alignments and not once did they ever get it right! I took it to a chassis alignment shop and they modified the rear cross member so that the wheels in the rear can be brought to spec and viola INSTANT difference in corners.

Before I had a curve on the highway that I could take with a loaner G sedan with absolutely not one hint of drama and with my car it would feel disconnected and completely on the edge of traction. Upon fixing that alignment issue the car feels many times better than the loaner and it truly feels connected back to where it belongs with the modifications that I have made to the vehicle.

Perhaps all you need is just a proper alignment (if this is your only problem)

A few things to consider:

BMW = Break My Wallet.

Not only on repairs, but also on insurance.

If you can afford it, and it makes you happy; DO IT!!! If not reconsider your options.
Probably ... spring rate/shocks/sway bar settings all have to match. As I mentioned I did have the Stillen sway set at med front/back and the cornering speed was higher, but the car felt very disconnected at the limit and the ride was just too harsh. I don't think the Z springs/shocks are matched well to the G sedan chassis. I think the Z rear spring rate higher (stiffer) than the front, and it makes the sedan rear end a little bit too happy.
A proper set of coil overs I think will fix most of the handling issue. A set of 245/275 wheel/tires wouldn't hurt either I have no doubt one can mod the G to have comparable handling of the M3, but the trick is to find that right combination of tires/springs/shock and sway bars. And of course, you want to have decent ride too. The G sedan is a bit handicapped by its high center of gravity and relatively narrower track.
I recently took the M3 to dealer to have oil change and steering fluid flush and the total cost was about 450. Yeah, that's kind of high, but there are a lot of good independent shops around here that can give you better deals.

Last edited by LudwigB; 05-10-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by AzuMaster
Because they're Nissans in tuxedos. Most other luxury cars are only what they are. There is no lesser BMW or Mercedes Benz. Other luxury brands aren't meant to feel raw unless you by the models specifically designed for it, M series, AMG, RS models... The everyday models are meant to be refined and classy. Not "drivers" cars. I loved my 1st car a 99 Ford Mustang and I loved my G even more but my 335i does everything the G does but better. Its quicker, faster, more nimble and everything feels incredibly sturdy. Nothing will ever be as beautiful and stylish as the G in my eyes. And yes my insurance went up by about 20 bucks a month and its already been in the shop twice since I got it about 3 months ago. So like everyone has said it will get expensive if you go FI or buy another car.
Just curious have you compared the 335i to the 328i? In my previous post I mentioned I had a chance to drive the 328i but something about it that I did not like. Although the car is very solid, there is something about the driving feel that was artificial to me. May be it was the auto tranny .... I don't know ... but I wouldn't pay 45K for it. Don't mean to be critical to the 3's but I was sort of bored driving it.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:29 PM
The 328i has even less HP & torque than the G does. It is a very boring car. I test drove a 2011 and it just felt underpowered and sluggish. That car is made for the folks that absolutely just want to say they own a BMW. Like the C250 or G25. The 335 is somewhere between that and the M3. Its a happy medium. You made a great choice with your M3. Like I said I would have jumped on an E46 if I could have found one with low mileage for a better price, so I got the next best thing. The new M3s are ridiculously expensive... They are used GTR35 money.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts
335i + chip = lol?

Old 05-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by ME GUSTA
335i + chip = lol?
330whp & 350TQ...ish. Add BMS Dual Cone intake, Helix FMIC, downpipe + cat delete and a high power true dual exhaust... Close to 400WHP & 450TQ. All on stock internals and stock turbos for arnd $2500 total.

Last edited by AzuMaster; 05-10-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Yes very nice car

Yes the M3 is a fabulous motorcar, however a comparision with a stock g35 is hardly fair. For the money spent on a M3, it should be dominant in its category. I have test driven the IPL G37 and it is impressive. I'd love to race your M3 with the IPL G37 and see whats up

Old 05-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Badpreston577
Yes the M3 is a fabulous motorcar, however a comparision with a stock g35 is hardly fair. For the money spent on a M3, it should be dominant in its category. I have test driven the IPL G37 and it is impressive. I'd love to race your M3 with the IPL G37 and see whats up
That wouldn't be fair either. You're talking abt an M3 that went into production mid 2000 and the IPL which started when... Like 2009-2010 I think. Almost a 10 year difference in tech. The IPL barely beats a 335i of the same generation much less an M3 of the same generation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Saying good bye to the G and Infiniti