G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Chevy Cobalt SS vs. G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Cobalt is almost identical to the Saturn ION Redline. It's on GM's Delta platform and they both use the supercharged Ecotec motor.

While a decent platform (i.e. stiff) for the Economy car, it's not in the same league as the FM platform of the G/Z.

Last edited by socketz; 01-11-2005 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:53 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
heh, all im going to say is that you guys are underestimating the SRT's performance =)

Old 01-12-2005, 12:22 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
I haven't had a ticket in just over 5 years--do you think I care if some 23 yr old boy wants to show me the size/power of his "CoBALLS," I mean cobalt's engine. No. GM is going after the Honda Civic boy-racer market to make a buck, and the buyers need inexpensive, quickish wheels-so what.
Last I checked a car does not come with a 30 year note--If infiniti comes out with a 330hp v6 sedan in 4 or 5 years--I, and many of you will be There!!
The worst thing you can have happen to you is to get baited into a race from Uncle Ben's Race Club (U.B.R.C), and then you get a ticket and a lecture from a cop about you should know better, and all that--I'm a few ticks over 30, and I don't want that.
I'm sorry but there is more to life/driving than how fast you can pull away from a red light or stop sign relative to another vehicle--I've done my share--It kind of reminds me of all the kids that do that fast paced walk to the lunch line and cut you off to get ahead of you--whatever. But If I were that age, I guess I would be glad there were cars for me to drive that were quick.

Old 01-12-2005, 12:44 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Texan1
I haven't had a ticket in just over 5 years--do you think I care if some 23 yr old boy wants to show me the size/power of his "CoBALLS," I mean cobalt's engine. No. GM is going after the Honda Civic boy-racer market to make a buck, and the buyers need inexpensive, quickish wheels-so what.
Last I checked a car does not come with a 30 year note--If infiniti comes out with a 330hp v6 sedan in 4 or 5 years--I, and many of you will be There!!
The worst thing you can have happen to you is to get baited into a race from Uncle Ben's Race Club (U.B.R.C), and then you get a ticket and a lecture from a cop about you should know better, and all that--I'm a few ticks over 30, and I don't want that.
I'm sorry but there is more to life/driving than how fast you can pull away from a red light or stop sign relative to another vehicle--I've done my share--It kind of reminds me of all the kids that do that fast paced walk to the lunch line and cut you off to get ahead of you--whatever. But If I were that age, I guess I would be glad there were cars for me to drive that were quick.
people have different opinions... some people like buying a used car like a civic, crx, and other 4cyls just to see how much power and 1/4 time they can pull out of it... its more of a hobby.. but yes the majority of them are just kids that want to go fast for cheap... from your post it seems like youre only think of street racing or driving like your hairs on fire on the freeway.... you should check out some of the local tracks.. twisties and drag and you'll see that the numbers some of those guys put down are amazing

Old 01-12-2005, 03:30 AM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by madabs
I see you are not getting my point. One I was saying forget the looks I am talking about proformance. And two why is it they can make a Cobalt supercharged starting 19k. So why cant they make a G supercharged for lets say starting at 35k? You cant tell me that the G costs that much more to put in a supercharger from the factory.

It wouldnt be that easy or cheap! There are so many problems with FI and this engine already, they would need to put the blower on, rebuild internals, long term testing and lower compression thats alot of time and money and that's exactly why the new "Infiniti GTR" will be around 60+k $

Old 01-12-2005, 07:00 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Klumzyee
heh, all im going to say is that you guys are underestimating the SRT's performance =)

I don't think anyone is really underestimating the SRT-4s performance......I just don't think anyone here really cares.

Old 01-12-2005, 08:40 AM
Canuck,
You are probably correct.People viewing an Infiniti forum are most likely not fans of the Neon nor are they overly impressed or enthused about the Neon. Most car enthusiasts read auto mags, browse web sites etc. We know what vehicles are competitive power wise, price and feature wise. We all have different tastes, needs , wants etc. The Neon has never excited me. It has always struck me as an economy car and a not very exciting looking one at that. Yes the SRT-4 looks better and may even be a lot of car for the money. But it is not in the same league as the Infiniti regardless of the power it may have. Obviously KLUMZYEE must be a fan of the NEON.

Last edited by G35sedanman; 01-12-2005 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:04 AM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Don't knock the Neons....they make great rental cars.....LMMFAO...JBX

Attached Thumbnails Chevy Cobalt SS vs. G35-copy-dscf0001.jpg   Chevy Cobalt SS vs. G35-copy-dscf0005.jpg  

Last edited by JustBrilliantX; 01-12-2005 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:24 AM
If you're reduced to having acceleration-envy for a Chevy Cobalt, or any of the other hundred or so cars that are quicker to 60 than your G35, go buy a motorcycle.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:54 AM
Hey, if you want a supercharger, get a Stillen unit installed. The unit (with intercooler) is <$4K and installation will probably cost you about $1500 at the dealership. You can get it with a warranty (3yr/36K) that covers the supercharger AND engine. Should bring the crank hp up to about 320-360hp (see Stillen's site for more).

On another note, my dealership here in Memphis is thinking about installing these things. According to my service rep (haven't confirmed it with Infiniti US), Infiniti will NOT automatically void the warranty (note that I say AUTOMATICALLY void, the will probably NOT cover damage caused by the blower) on the car for any non-race, before the manifold mods that are done... and that INCLUDES superchargers and turbos (I assume operating at some reasonable boost like, say 5-8psi).

This should take care of the Cobalts, etc.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Old 01-12-2005, 12:52 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I'm not going to get a big head because I drive a G35. I'm not going to say SRT4s and Cobalt SS' are POS cars either because their not. I choose to spend more money on my car for the luxury and overall RWD package. The SRT4/CSS owner probably thinks I'm foolish because I spent $25K on a used 03 when I could have save money and got a FASTER car for less. A G35 and SRT4/CSS are completely different cars with completely different purposes.

I think the CSS is going to be a great car for $20K. Someone mentioned that the CSS tested in MT had an MSRP of $24K, but that included every single option on the list including LSD and some fancy stereo. You can get into one of these cars for $21K which is comparable to the SRT4. The CSS runs 14.5@98mph stock which is pretty quick and about .4 and 2mph off the SRT4s pace. Once guys start adding smaller pulleys, high octane fuel, colder plugs, and drag tires, I think it will be terribly easy to run mid 13s in the CSS. The CSS outhandles the SRT4 too plus the CSS interior is far better than SRT4s.

As for Nissan adding blowers to Zs and Gs, it ain't gonna happen. The VQ can handle a lot more power than it's making now because there are daily driven turbo Maximas pushing 400-450whp on completely stock motors. The 3.5 VQ does have a longer stroke than the 3.0 VQ so it may only be able to handle 350whp or so reliably. That is also why Nissan's racing divison doesn't use the 3.5. They use twin turbo 3.0s stroked to 3.2 and I wouldn't be surprised if that's what we see in the GT-R. Anyways, Nissan isn't going to introduce an SC 3.5 because the market doesn't demand it. These cars are already the best handling and quickest cars in their class and for the 2% buyers that want more power, the GT-R is on the way.

Old 01-12-2005, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by dklau33
Nissan could throw in a supercharger for G35 and 350Z from the factory if they wanted to but the real question is do they need to? Absolutely not. The VQ35 motor already puts out stout numbers and the G and Z already sell very well in the current form. Only a small percentage of the market would even consider buying a supercharged G or Z and it really wouldn't be worth it from a bottomline standpoint. Would it be cool for enthusiasts like us? Sure. What would be nice if Nismo came out with a relatively inexpensive supercharger/turbo package that put out moderate numbers and came with all the warranty goodness.
I agree the VQ is strong. And I think Nissan knows internally its not a F/I engine or they would have done it already.
Look at the 350Z S and R tune. 42 and 48k, not one enigine mod. Everything is suspension or looks. That is Vette territory and we all would get that instead.

I suspect if u want more, wait for the GT-R R35.

Old 01-13-2005, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by P_Diddy
Dude, I wasn't even going to comment on this ridiculous topic, but I saw that you are really asking why Infiniti won't bolt a S/C to the G35 for $35k.

Besides the reliability/durability issues, the biggest reason is refinement and market strategy. The Cobolt SS is very unrefined, the steering and suspension is going to be very rough and it plain looks like crap. Nissan did S/C the Xterra though, but that's a truck. The G is not competing w/ rice rockets so why put a S/C on it. It is competing against Acura, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc, and when it comes to those, the G has great performance and some of the luxury.

Why don't you go to a Dodge or Chevy forum and join in on one of their Cobalt SS vs. SRT-4 threads.
I haven't been on this site in a while so I'm just catching up however PD makes a great point. However saying this remember the cobalt is manual which has much lighter rotional mass.. if you compare the G35 with 6MT against the cobalt you don't need mods to beat it (even if the cobalt is 6.0 or 6.1 secs vs some qoutes of 6.4 sec the 6MT is 5.7-5.9 secs and the 05 should be even quicker).

As for the price difference there are more upgrades then just engine mods that make the G more expensive (ie suspension, comfort, etc, etc). Not only is the G fast of the line but it is a great handling car and yet still comfortable to drive 700 miles in a day (I did it twice with no problems). I do not envy a SRT-4 or Cobalt owner who has to do a trip that long even if they are young there backs will be sore.

All that being said... STOP letting them (SRT-4 or Cobalts) beat you!!!

Old 01-13-2005, 10:34 AM
The reason I started this Post was basically saying why can almost all car companies make a special vehicle. And to say there is no demand cant be true because why would there be M3 and M5 or S4 and AMG. I looked at the Audi A4 3.0 v6 it starts at 32,670 has 220hp then they make the S4 same body but it has a 4.2 v8 has 340hp and starts at 45,570. Difference in price 12900. Bmw has the 330i 3.0 liters 225hp starts at 35,700 then they make make the M3 it has a 3.2 liter engine 333hp starts at 47,300. Difference in price 11600. Both have 100 more hp and with Audi it has a different engine. And you cant tell me there isnt a market I see M3 and S4. Infiniti put a dent into BMWs 330 market with the G35. Why couldnt they do it to the S4 and M3 both cars are in the high 40's low 50's in price what the GTR is going to be is in the 60's and that is going to be going against a whole other market like the AMG's. Listen the base price of a G35 is 30,850 3.5 liter with 280 or 298hp why cant they put in a 4.5 v8 Audi does it amd for 12,900 more. What if there was a G35 that had 340+hp that started between 42450-43750 that is the price of FX's. I bet some of those S4 M3 and others would take the G35.

Old 01-13-2005, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by P_Diddy
The Cobolt SS is very unrefined, the steering and suspension is going to be very rough and it plain looks like crap. .
You obviously havn't driven one of these. I have not either, but I did recently drive a Saturn Ion Redline, which is the same running gear. While I've never been a fan of FWD cars, this is a good one. It is simply not in the same class as either G. But while it is nowhere near as luxurious and a few ticks slower than the G, it is surprisingly refined. It has all the right touches; Recarro seats, pedals properly spaced for heal and toe; nice thick padded leather covered wheel. The steering is quick with good weight and feel, and minimal torque steer. I mention this last point, because it is an issue that Nissan has never been able to sort out...I35's, Murano, Altimas and Maximas have huge torque steer. The Red Line has upgraded brakes, nice sticky low profile tires on nice looking mags, and firm (but not harsh) suspension. The suspension is anything but rough. This is not a car tuned strictly for the test results...it feels nice to drive. It also has an easily tunable motor, which can not really be said of the G. Of course it also has that goofy half rear door set up, and the instruments mounted in a silly spot, but you shouldn't put down this car without driving one.

I can't argue with the the complaint about its looks, but there are certainly worse designed cars on the road, (the current Maxima comes to mind!) Over all, as most of the readers here are Americans, we should be happy to see the American car makers at least making an attempt to catch the Japanese. I would love to come to a day when I no longer had to give up so much in terms of performance, driving manners, reliability, and cost, to buy an American car. For me, I'm not there yet, but cars like the Cobalt SS/ Saturn Red Line are slowly closing the gap.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Chevy Cobalt SS vs. G35