G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

2004 G35x - $6,000 recommended services from dealer. What to do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I called Infiniti directly and they said I do not have any recalls pending and there was nothing for a passenger side airbag. Only recall was for a airbag connector under the seat which was taken care of. Mine is a G35x sedan, maybe yours was different? Thanks for your help.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts
A recall is a recall. It dowsnt matter if your car is out of warranty. Warranty has nothing to do with the recall itself. Go to another dealership. Dont call ahead. Just show up and bring the issue up. See if they can help obviously this dealer is trying to stick a big up you.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by socialconflicts
A recall is a recall. It dowsnt matter if your car is out of warranty. Warranty has nothing to do with the recall itself. Go to another dealership. Dont call ahead. Just show up and bring the issue up. See if they can help obviously this dealer is trying to stick a big up you.
i agree. Show up and argue with the writer about this issue.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:25 PM
For now, I followed the reset procedure for the airbag light and it seems to be fixed. Lets see if it comes back on. Going to take the car to the local mechanic tomorrow to get the muffler work done.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by shootmenow
Thanks for the action plan and advise. 6k in repairs is crazy. I am going to start ordering items online and then find a mechanic in Chicago.

The dealer told the air bag recall work was already done and this is something new and my car is out of warranty.
i can help, sent you a PM

Old 06-11-2012, 11:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I worked at a dealership for a couple of years and the only point of those inspection sheets is to try to"upsell" ( sell you other repairs or services you didn't come in for.) I hated them and usually passed everything unless it was an actual issue that really did need fixed like a real leak not recommending a tranny flush for an oil leak that had seeped onto a transmission. The dealership is just trying to get your money. I am positive that you can fix most of it for half of that... If not a lot less, the wipers can definately be done on your own as well as the cabin filter. It just takes some time. But definitely get another mechanics opinion or two more mechanics. Then take it one thing at a time starting with the most needed to get done. Like the ones that could jeopardize your safety... Here in UT the airbag light isn't needed to pass safety it's just a warning so I wouldn't worry about it if it came on again.

Last edited by nism0b0y; 06-12-2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I called Infiniti directly and they said I do not have any recalls pending and there was nothing for a passenger side airbag. Only recall was for a airbag connector under the seat which was taken care of. Mine is a G35x sedan, maybe yours was different? Thanks for your help.
I think mine was the airbag connector, I did not really pay that much attention because I did not get any warning light in the dash.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:28 AM
So I reset the airbag light and it went off for a few days but it now back on again.

Could there really be something wrong with an airbag or is it most likely a monitoring problem?

Old 06-22-2012, 01:48 PM
100% check all your connectors.

They are the YELLOW connectors under the seats. Make sure they are fully connected and not damaged in any way. Be careful tho. I just found a loose one on a maxima causing the light to show up randomly, it got caught on the seat tracks, so everytime someone moved the passenager seat it would snag and set off the light.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
A lot of that is easily DIY, cabin filter, brake pads, fluids, windshield wiper.

Don't know if you're married, but me personally I'd leverage the report with my wife:

"Babe, looks like it's going to cost $1300 for a new factory exhaust. I found a really nice (insert aftermarket exhaust here) for less than half the cost. For under a grand I can get that, some test pipes, HFC, etc etc etc. They also want over $1200 for new pads and rotors. I found a really awesome used brembo/akebono set for the same/less money. The improved brake performance will further insure my ability to go to work every day and thus fund your ridiculous shoe/handbag habit."

fwiw, I did successfully use the above logic years ago on my old '95 Accord coupe with a rusted exhaust. Ended up with a RS*R stainless catback and random technology hfc for just under half what the dealer wanted for a oem exhaust

Old 06-22-2012, 03:03 PM
So I reset the airbag light and it went off for a few days but it now back on again.

Could there really be something wrong with an airbag or is it most likely a monitoring problem?
im sure the airbag is fine. the problem lies on probably a harness/sensor. but if the light is on, to my understanding the airbags wont be active in case something does happen.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Thanks guys.

So I took my 2004 G35x to two mechanic shops yesterday. Part #6 is full rusted and there is hole in one place. They quoted me $800 for the part and $1400 for #6 and muffler.

One guy called part #6 the resonator. Any ideas how much I can get this part for?

Old 06-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I have an 04X and just replaced the midpipe (resonator) with a coupe one from this site for about $150. That includes shipping and installation. Its sounds waaaayyy better and took about 30 minutes to install. As far as the muffler goes, for that price you can get an HKS... or you can PM me and I will sell you mine for alot less than $1400!

Old 06-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Thanks guys.

So I took my 2004 G35x to two mechanic shops yesterday. Part #6 is full rusted and there is hole in one place. They quoted me $800 for the part and $1400 for #6 and muffler.

One guy called part #6 the resonator. Any ideas how much I can get this part for?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...RPEXHAAMS_____

^ that is an option, people mentioned it but no one bought one.

I think that can work for you #6. A lot of people on this board sell #6 as a "coupe midpipe" for about $150+ shipping.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:51 PM
u can get a megan exhaust which includes both of the parts u need for less than 500. hmm.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2004 G35x - $6,000 recommended services from dealer. What to do?