G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06-15/)
-   -   JDM Black Headlights Conversion (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06/410114-jdm-black-headlights-conversion.html)

dankfresh 06-24-2012 12:36 PM

JDM Black Headlights Conversion

So, like a total idiot, I went out and got some of those JDM black headlights you see on Ebay and other places without doing much research. I had a body shop put them in since I was getting a new front end painted and put on as well.

I still have the old headlights, and I'm curious if anyone has ever 'converted' the wiring and ballast required on the old headlights for the Xenon bulbs to the those in particular.

I do like the look of them, but hate the crappy halogen lights that are in em. Putting the old headlights back in would require taking the front end off and all that good stuff, so I'm trying to see if maybe I can mount the ballast somewhere else and still keep the wiring the same, safely.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

NjMatteSedan 06-24-2012 05:51 PM

Just get an aftermarket HID kit

acr 06-26-2012 10:38 AM

No, don't get an HID kit because halogen reflectors are not designed for HID bulbs.

Removing the lights is actually really easy - all you need is a 10mm socket with an extension and something to pop out the trim clips.

NjMatteSedan 06-26-2012 11:27 AM

^ i have hids on mine and there's no glare. Never bern hi beamed

TunerMax 06-26-2012 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by dankfresh (Post 6492654)
So, like a total idiot, I went out and got some of those JDM black headlights you see on Ebay and other places without doing much research. I had a body shop put them in since I was getting a new front end painted and put on as well.

I still have the old headlights, and I'm curious if anyone has ever 'converted' the wiring and ballast required on the old headlights for the Xenon bulbs to the those in particular.

I do like the look of them, but hate the crappy halogen lights that are in em. Putting the old headlights back in would require taking the front end off and all that good stuff, so I'm trying to see if maybe I can mount the ballast somewhere else and still keep the wiring the same, safely.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Putting HID's in halogen housings will naturally create glare. But that's not the most imporant part.

The most important part is 9/10 putting HID's in a Halogen housing will result in WORSE output.

The ebay housings suck for output, shytty reflectors, period. You're kind of stuck with it.

Now..... if you want to sell me one of those sets, preferrably the OEM one, to recoup some of the cost and thusly justify what you have cooking there, PM me.

My suggestion is to Retrofit, or go back to OEM.

Originally Posted by acr (Post 6494751)

Removing the lights is actually really easy - all you need is a 10mm socket with an extension and something to pop out the trim clips.

this. OP I dunno where you got the idea you have to take the bumper off bu tthat's false, the headights can be a PITA but they can come off without removing the bumper.

socialconflicts 06-26-2012 03:44 PM

the bumper is easy to remove. lol.

d0nutboii 06-26-2012 04:16 PM

i have a better alternative.. use those black housings to put quad projectors in them!!

dankfresh 06-27-2012 10:41 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. Probably going back to OEM. I certainly don't want to downgrade my lights.

dankfresh 06-27-2012 10:45 AM

Also, while I want to note that the bumper is pretty easy to remove, and so are the wheel wells, and so are most things on the car, it doesn't make the requirement to do so for changing a lightbulb acceptable. I hate reading the forums where people go, "Oh, well it's actually easy anyway" as an excuse for something that was poorly designed.

I love this car just as much as anybody, but a lightbulb should always be 1) Pop hood 2) Replace bulb.

Kind of unrelated, but i've been reading a lot of posts about this and there's always some guy who deems a complaint as "stupid" because "you can just, ya know, spend an extra hour taking your wheel well off after jacking your car up derrrrrrrrrrrr". </vent>

psycobusa 06-27-2012 11:08 AM

If you just want to change the bulb, just turn your wheel to the inside of the car, remove the clips in the front half of the fender liner, and you'll have enough room to access the back of the headlight.

TunerMax 06-27-2012 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by dankfresh (Post 6495943)
Also, while I want to note that the bumper is pretty easy to remove, and so are the wheel wells, and so are most things on the car, it doesn't make the requirement to do so for changing a lightbulb acceptable. I hate reading the forums where people go, "Oh, well it's actually easy anyway" as an excuse for something that was poorly designed.

I love this car just as much as anybody, but a lightbulb should always be 1) Pop hood 2) Replace bulb.

Kind of unrelated, but i've been reading a lot of posts about this and there's always some guy who deems a complaint as "stupid" because "you can just, ya know, spend an extra hour taking your wheel well off after jacking your car up derrrrrrrrrrrr". </vent>

You do make good points.

The fact is almost every new car is like this or worse. The headlights are now accesed via wheelwells. It's just the way it is. :dunno:

All things considered, it's really not hard at all. If you've had experience with 8/10 other car manufacturers it's usually just as hard or harder. And many REQUIRE removal of front bumper, no way around it.

But they do make the bulbs half-decent to change still.

ArkansasG35COUPE 06-27-2012 01:10 PM

I went throught this same scenario when I upgraded my lights.

1) You can retro fit the HID, remove the lenses, install, bake and bastardize the wiring.
2) You can buy and aftermarket HID kit and still bastardize the wiring

or 3) you send your OEM lights out for the lenses to be refinished, have the inside housings painted black, and then re-install!! After looking into my options and seeing that a new set will run you about 1.5k, a cheap set leaks water and fogs up, and that true HID's require tons of new wiring, I just saved up and had my OEM'S fixed. I am super happy with the results, all my friend's G's Ebay lights look cheap next to mine. GOOD LUCK!

G35Papa 06-27-2012 02:20 PM

Since you're going back to stock, you might want to consider painting the bezels on yours before you do.

https://g35driver.com/forums/lightin...eadlights.html

NjMatteSedan 06-27-2012 02:48 PM

TunedMax. Ill be selling my ebay black housing lights soon if youre interested but im gonna try local first because shipping is alot for HL's

dofu 06-27-2012 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by BlkSedan4me (Post 6494793)
^ i have hids on mine and there's no glare. Never bern hi beamed

Because that's a great indicator that your headlights don't glare at all.