G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

JDM Black Headlights Conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
JDM Black Headlights Conversion

So, like a total idiot, I went out and got some of those JDM black headlights you see on Ebay and other places without doing much research. I had a body shop put them in since I was getting a new front end painted and put on as well.

I still have the old headlights, and I'm curious if anyone has ever 'converted' the wiring and ballast required on the old headlights for the Xenon bulbs to the those in particular.

I do like the look of them, but hate the crappy halogen lights that are in em. Putting the old headlights back in would require taking the front end off and all that good stuff, so I'm trying to see if maybe I can mount the ballast somewhere else and still keep the wiring the same, safely.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:51 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
Just get an aftermarket HID kit

Old 06-26-2012, 10:38 AM
acr
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
No, don't get an HID kit because halogen reflectors are not designed for HID bulbs.

Removing the lights is actually really easy - all you need is a 10mm socket with an extension and something to pop out the trim clips.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:27 AM
^ i have hids on mine and there's no glare. Never bern hi beamed

Old 06-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by dankfresh
So, like a total idiot, I went out and got some of those JDM black headlights you see on Ebay and other places without doing much research. I had a body shop put them in since I was getting a new front end painted and put on as well.

I still have the old headlights, and I'm curious if anyone has ever 'converted' the wiring and ballast required on the old headlights for the Xenon bulbs to the those in particular.

I do like the look of them, but hate the crappy halogen lights that are in em. Putting the old headlights back in would require taking the front end off and all that good stuff, so I'm trying to see if maybe I can mount the ballast somewhere else and still keep the wiring the same, safely.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Putting HID's in halogen housings will naturally create glare. But that's not the most imporant part.

The most important part is 9/10 putting HID's in a Halogen housing will result in WORSE output.

The ebay housings suck for output, shytty reflectors, period. You're kind of stuck with it.

Now..... if you want to sell me one of those sets, preferrably the OEM one, to recoup some of the cost and thusly justify what you have cooking there, PM me.

My suggestion is to Retrofit, or go back to OEM.

Originally Posted by acr

Removing the lights is actually really easy - all you need is a 10mm socket with an extension and something to pop out the trim clips.
this. OP I dunno where you got the idea you have to take the bumper off bu tthat's false, the headights can be a PITA but they can come off without removing the bumper.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts
the bumper is easy to remove. lol.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i have a better alternative.. use those black housings to put quad projectors in them!!

Old 06-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. Probably going back to OEM. I certainly don't want to downgrade my lights.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Also, while I want to note that the bumper is pretty easy to remove, and so are the wheel wells, and so are most things on the car, it doesn't make the requirement to do so for changing a lightbulb acceptable. I hate reading the forums where people go, "Oh, well it's actually easy anyway" as an excuse for something that was poorly designed.

I love this car just as much as anybody, but a lightbulb should always be 1) Pop hood 2) Replace bulb.

Kind of unrelated, but i've been reading a lot of posts about this and there's always some guy who deems a complaint as "stupid" because "you can just, ya know, spend an extra hour taking your wheel well off after jacking your car up derrrrrrrrrrrr". </vent>

Old 06-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
If you just want to change the bulb, just turn your wheel to the inside of the car, remove the clips in the front half of the fender liner, and you'll have enough room to access the back of the headlight.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by dankfresh
Also, while I want to note that the bumper is pretty easy to remove, and so are the wheel wells, and so are most things on the car, it doesn't make the requirement to do so for changing a lightbulb acceptable. I hate reading the forums where people go, "Oh, well it's actually easy anyway" as an excuse for something that was poorly designed.

I love this car just as much as anybody, but a lightbulb should always be 1) Pop hood 2) Replace bulb.

Kind of unrelated, but i've been reading a lot of posts about this and there's always some guy who deems a complaint as "stupid" because "you can just, ya know, spend an extra hour taking your wheel well off after jacking your car up derrrrrrrrrrrr". </vent>
You do make good points.

The fact is almost every new car is like this or worse. The headlights are now accesed via wheelwells. It's just the way it is.

All things considered, it's really not hard at all. If you've had experience with 8/10 other car manufacturers it's usually just as hard or harder. And many REQUIRE removal of front bumper, no way around it.

But they do make the bulbs half-decent to change still.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I went throught this same scenario when I upgraded my lights.

1) You can retro fit the HID, remove the lenses, install, bake and bastardize the wiring.
2) You can buy and aftermarket HID kit and still bastardize the wiring

or 3) you send your OEM lights out for the lenses to be refinished, have the inside housings painted black, and then re-install!! After looking into my options and seeing that a new set will run you about 1.5k, a cheap set leaks water and fogs up, and that true HID's require tons of new wiring, I just saved up and had my OEM'S fixed. I am super happy with the results, all my friend's G's Ebay lights look cheap next to mine. GOOD LUCK!

Old 06-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
Since you're going back to stock, you might want to consider painting the bezels on yours before you do.

https://g35driver.com/forums/lightin...eadlights.html

Old 06-27-2012, 02:48 PM
TunedMax. Ill be selling my ebay black housing lights soon if youre interested but im gonna try local first because shipping is alot for HL's

Old 06-27-2012, 02:49 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by BlkSedan4me
^ i have hids on mine and there's no glare. Never bern hi beamed
Because that's a great indicator that your headlights don't glare at all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: JDM Black Headlights Conversion