G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Rear Spoiler Removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rear Spoiler Removal

I did a little searching and I couldnt find a DIY for removal.

What I am actually after is there anything more than the 2 (1 per side) 10mm nuts holding the spoiler on?

One side is stripped, but from the inside of the spoiler. I cant get the nut off, and I dont want to start forcing stuff before I know how its held on. I do want to keep the spoiler and I can cut it off to fix.

AND no I dont people telling me it looks better with or without it PLEASE!

Old 06-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
Youre gonna have holes and stains but whatever suits you...

Old 06-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts
maybe u can find someone without a wing who wants a wing with the same color as yours? what color is it?

Old 06-27-2012, 08:12 PM
IIRC, when I swapped my spoiler, after removing the trunk liner, I had bolts in the center of the spoiler, also. And a lot of adhesive. Kind of a bear to get off. Good luck.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:35 PM
I want to keep my spoiler... I need to fix it. IE remove, fix, and re install. The problem is that because the bolt is stripped, it just spins and isnt tight and therefore evey time I hit a hard bump in jumps up and down a bit and its starting to damage the trunk deck.

My question again is: Is the spoiler only held on with the 2 (1 per side) 10mm nuts only?

Old 06-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
there are the two nuts (1 per side) and then there is some adhesive that holds the spoiler on. I looked in the fsm to figure out how to remove it. You will want to take the liner out of the trunk, and then unplug the third brake light. there will be a couple of things holding the wiring in place but they come out pretty easy. then feed the wire out of the trunk and gently pull the rubber grommet out that holds it into place. then you will need to get a flat head screw driver and put some duct tape on both sides of the flat head (to protect your paint). then gently pry up on the spoiler. start at the back (rear of the car) and work your way to the front. there are two plastic pop rivets that pop into the front of the spoiler. they will make a loud pop then the spoiler will be free. then carefully pull the wire out of the trunk and you should be able to fix it from there. install is the reverse of removal minus the flat head. the wire is a little tricky but with some patience it will go back in.
although if you just need to get that one nut fixed you can just pry of the one side that needs fixed and then work on it with the other side still on the car. but it may be easier and safer for the paint to take it off.
hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
SSJRICH (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Thank you!

That is exactly what I need to know before I started yanking on things!

Old 06-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Received 820 Likes on 595 Posts
just did this btw but i got my holes filled (no homo) and it turned out great.and i also had the one bolt that wouldent come out. so i just ripped it off. worked out fine.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts
2 nuts
2 clips
and some adhesive.

Be very careful when removing the clips you need to gently put pressure directly under the clip locations otherwise you'll break them.

A hairdryer/heat gun will help with the adhesive.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For anyone who is looking to remove the trunk spoiler on their G35 sedan...

1. Pop the trunk
2. Use a small flat head screwdriver to pop off the small black clips that hold the upper carpeted cover on the inside of the trunk.
3. Carefully pop off the emergency trunk release holder (plastic and flat)... the black plastic bracket/piece has two small clips holding it onto the trunk.
4. Unplug the spoiler brake light. (consists of one small gray clip with wire/loom coming out of it)
5. Take a ratchet and a 10mm socket and remove the two nuts holding the spoiler down. (one nut on eat side of the spoiler)

DO NOT PRY!
The spoiler/wing will be loose, but still attached.

6. Carefully lift one side of the spoiler/wing where the threaded stud is... slide the spoiler toward the back window of the car. MAKE SURE YOU LIFT IT HIGH ENOUGH so it won't scratch the paint when you slide it.
7. Repeat step 6 to the other side of the spoiler/wing.

CONGRATS!!!! the spoiler/wing should now be removed.

There will be two white/cream colored clips left on the trunk. The best way to remove these two clips is by using a tool designed to easily pop off interior body panels or clips. If you do not have one of these you will have to get creative. If you try and use a flat head you will most likely be dickin' around with it for a while (chances are you will get frustrated). lol. If you don't care if the clips break or not, you can always use a pliers and rip the clips out

I think that covers it all...
Got questions? Don't be afraid to contact me.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:41 PM
How wound get the holes filled after the removal?

Originally Posted by dopeG
For anyone who is looking to remove the trunk spoiler on their G35 sedan...

1. Pop the trunk
2. Use a small flat head screwdriver to pop off the small black clips that hold the upper carpeted cover on the inside of the trunk.
3. Carefully pop off the emergency trunk release holder (plastic and flat)... the black plastic bracket/piece has two small clips holding it onto the trunk.
4. Unplug the spoiler brake light. (consists of one small gray clip with wire/loom coming out of it)
5. Take a ratchet and a 10mm socket and remove the two nuts holding the spoiler down. (one nut on eat side of the spoiler)

DO NOT PRY!
The spoiler/wing will be loose, but still attached.

6. Carefully lift one side of the spoiler/wing where the threaded stud is... slide the spoiler toward the back window of the car. MAKE SURE YOU LIFT IT HIGH ENOUGH so it won't scratch the paint when you slide it.
7. Repeat step 6 to the other side of the spoiler/wing.

CONGRATS!!!! the spoiler/wing should now be removed.

There will be two white/cream colored clips left on the trunk. The best way to remove these two clips is by using a tool designed to easily pop off interior body panels or clips. If you do not have one of these you will have to get creative. If you try and use a flat head you will most likely be dickin' around with it for a while (chances are you will get frustrated). lol. If you don't care if the clips break or not, you can always use a pliers and rip the clips out

I think that covers it all...
Got questions? Don't be afraid to contact me.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

How would you fill the holes after the removal?

Old 01-22-2015, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,027 Likes on 944 Posts
Body filler and then repaint the trunk. Or swap trunks.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:32 PM
removing trunk spoiler

Just thought that if anyone was looking for this information, this would help re-affirm what dopeG said about not prying up to hard. I heated the area up with a heat gun, to soften the adhesive and still had to pry up a little to get the screw high enough to clear the trunk. Then push the spoiler forward, being careful not to ram your back glass with the spoiler. Here are some pics so that you can see How it is attached. Hope this helps.

This is the under side of the fin, which the body clip fits into, and when the fin slides back, it holds the rear of the fin in place.

Old 01-09-2021, 12:14 AM
G35 Couoe
What did you use to fill the holes??

Originally Posted by Shanes_G
just did this btw but i got my holes filled (no homo) and it turned out great.and i also had the one bolt that wouldent come out. so i just ripped it off. worked out fine.
what did you fill the holes with?

Old 01-09-2021, 05:03 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,469 Likes on 2,161 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Body filler usually, then sand/prime/paint. If it's a large hole and you have access to the inside sheet metal you can add a backer plate, either weld or epoxy the backer into place.