G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Gas smell - fluttering RPM's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Gas smell - fluttering RPM's

Ok so here we go.. I know when its hot you are going to smell a little gas/fumes. Being in Vegas and hitting 110 the other day is no fun. But heat does expose flaws, if something is weak or broke then the heat usually makes it worse.

That being said, I have had the car for multiple summers now with zero problems. The other day it literally smelled like an open gas can in my lap. The smell was so strong I had to shut off the A/C and roll all the windows down, and it was over 110!

I've searched around and done some research but was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this same problem? It comes in the car through the A/C even when it is on recycle. When I pop the hood and try and smell around the car I can't put a trace on it, however it is really strong under the evap canister under the rear bumper.

It doesn't matter if I drive the car hard or normal, after about a 15-25 minute trip it starts to smell.

So was wondering if maybe there are some pinched lines somewhere, bad valve in the vacuum system. worn out evap canister, vent lines..?

Also after shutting the car off and letting it sit for about 10 minutes I restarted it and the RPMs fluttered for a couple seconds, turned over right away but dropped so low it sounded/looked like it was going to die. Was idling normal after about 5 seconds.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks

Old 07-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe its so hot youre getting vapor lock in your return lines? But as far as I know a vehicle wont run in a vapor lock situation. Check the pressure regulator? If its strong going back towards the evap canister my moneys on a return line problem though, vapor lock or not.