G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Slow tire leaks on 3 tires....ARGH!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 03:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by VMRWheels
Could be a few things. First thing I'd try is to just hit up the entire wheel and tire combo with soapy water again to confirm where the leak is coming from. 7psi a week is something to be concerned with so that is an easy step to do that won't cost you an extra money. You might have some dirt or something along the bead/seat, so it's not really holding air like it should.
The only thing I haven't tried is taking the wheel off. I've sprayed soapy water on sidewall, rim/bead area, inside of valve core. Also looked at threads for nail. Can't find anything on the 3 tires. I didn't look at the tire facing the inside part of the car though. But the odds for 3 of them having inside cuts? Which is why I think the near 8 yr old TPMS is the culprit. I can definitely take the tire off and check I guess.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by miltoda
FYI, the TPMS unit can be replaced with a generic unit (http://www.amazon.com/Schrader-20161.../dp/B002GYSR9E

I replaced all of mine a year ago after the batteries started to die in them. My dealership reprogrammed them for free.
Surprise dealer would do it for free.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Before replacing the sensors, look into the rebuild kits which replace the rubber sealing components of the TPMS sensor preventing leaks. usually, when you get new tires on, you are offered this service.

Losing 7psi a week is a LOT to not notice air bubbles. The soapy water trick is usually foolproof. I'd really consider searching the tire again. I'd fill the tire up to the MAX psi on the sidewall and just go to town with soapy water everywhere. On the beads, everywhere on the tread, take the valve stem cover off and spray inside.

You should see bubbles somewhere.

Might be easier to remove the tire and search. Might have a small nail or glass slice on the inside part you can't see.

If could be the TPMS sensors too. Could always try the rebuild on 1 tire and see if that works
I thought about the rebuilt kit as well. Does tire shops actually do that? They probably wondering why you want to rebuild it when you can get the cheap plastic ones for a few dollar.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by MountainHawkG
I'm going to give the OP some credibility.
I've had the same issue on a brand new tire for quite a few thousand miles now.
I've asked dealerships and tire shops to check for a leak and they can't find one.
So it's still on-going issue for you?

Old 12-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by miltoda
FYI, the TPMS unit can be replaced with a generic unit (http://www.amazon.com/Schrader-20161.../dp/B002GYSR9E

I replaced all of mine a year ago after the batteries started to die in them. My dealership reprogrammed them for free.
I punched in my 2005 x and the website said not compatible.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Where are you located at, if you are close to one, go to Discount Tire, I used to work there, we do flat repairs for FREE $$$

-Nick

Old 12-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by mikeee2
So it's still on-going issue for you?
Yeah it's just not very high on my priority list, but I do believe it has to be the tpms.
I'm currently using aftermarket units.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I thought about the rebuilt kit as well. Does tire shops actually do that? They probably wondering why you want to rebuild it when you can get the cheap plastic ones for a few dollar.

Yes. Last time I got tires on my g35x they rebuilt the sensors. I actually prefer having the TPMS sensors over regular valve stems. The system comes in handy when the temps drop and it tells me I need to top off the tires.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by KNS Brakes
Where are you located at, if you are close to one, go to Discount Tire, I used to work there, we do flat repairs for FREE $$$

-Nick
I am in NY. There's a discount tire not too far away. How can it repair for free?????? I don't get it. First they have to take tires off, then either patch it or stick that sticky tube into your tire and mount it back. Free???????

Old 12-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Yes. Last time I got tires on my g35x they rebuilt the sensors. I actually prefer having the TPMS sensors over regular valve stems. The system comes in handy when the temps drop and it tells me I need to top off the tires.
Like these right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIRE-PRESSUR...s&vxp=mtr#shId

Maybe I'll get 4 and just have them rebuild it. While they have tires off, I'll just have them rotate it for free. It's due for rotation anyway and I've been really lazy about doing any car work. Used to go under the car quite often but once you get lazy, you just want to do less and less.

I actually had these move from the OEM 17 to the 18's three years ago. It was not rebuilt. The TPMS was just moved over.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:43 AM
Yeah, that's all the rebuild is. The rubber around the stems tends to dry out and leak. Still, i'd think you'd see bubbles with the soap method.

I'd really consider pulling the wheel off and checking the inside first.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
The only thing I haven't tried is taking the wheel off. I've sprayed soapy water on sidewall, rim/bead area, inside of valve core. Also looked at threads for nail. Can't find anything on the 3 tires. I didn't look at the tire facing the inside part of the car though. But the odds for 3 of them having inside cuts? Which is why I think the near 8 yr old TPMS is the culprit. I can definitely take the tire off and check I guess.
I would recommend taking the wheels off of the car and spraying the whole thing down. If you think about it, when you are only spraying the front you're only getting half of the wheel.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by VMRWheels
I would recommend taking the wheels off of the car and spraying the whole thing down. If you think about it, when you are only spraying the front you're only getting half of the wheel.
Totally understand. I have hydralic jack , jack stands and even impact wrench to take it out but just been really lazy doing any car stuffs nowadays. Maybe it's work? Maybe having a 5 year old kid? LOL

I actually ordered 4 tpms rebuild kits. Gonna just bring it to shop have them check for leaks, if they can't find it then I know it should be the TPMS. Just have them rebuild it. If it turns out to be cuts in the inside of the tire, then time for new tires I guess and can still rebuild TPMS with new tires.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Totally understand. I have hydralic jack , jack stands and even impact wrench to take it out but just been really lazy doing any car stuffs nowadays. Maybe it's work? Maybe having a 5 year old kid? LOL
Trust me, i know how that is. I haven't washed my car in weeks. Just too busy with life these days.

My Mustang's been sitting in the garage for 2 years. I think i've put 3 miles on it in that time.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts

I actually ordered 4 tpms rebuild kits. Gonna just bring it to shop have them check for leaks, if they can't find it then I know it should be the TPMS. Just have them rebuild it. If it turns out to be cuts in the inside of the tire, then time for new tires I guess and can still rebuild TPMS with new tires.
Haha yeah I can sympathize. Sometimes I get lazy to do oil changes and whatnot.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Slow tire leaks on 3 tires....ARGH!!!!!!!