G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Slow tire leaks on 3 tires....ARGH!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 11:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Slow tire leaks on 3 tires....ARGH!!!!!!!

Hello all...

It's been a while since I posted. I've noticed 3 of my tires been leaking for the last couple months. Been too busy so didn't really have time to look and them and have been airing them up every weekend since I don't drive during the weekdays. It loses about 6 or 7 psi per week. I checked and didn't noticed any nails, also tighten the core inside the valve stem but no luck. Sprayed soapy water into the valve core but didn't see any bubbles. I still have the original TPMS so it's almost 8 years. The only thing I can think of is the TPMS valve stem is leaking or cracking from the inside. The low psi light also came on a handful of times lately even after I confirm that the tires have enough air (about 35 psi or higher). I believe my options are

1) Replace all TPMS with OEM which is going to cost a fortune. I think it's $90+ each.
2) Is there a cheaper aftermarket TPMS that works? I think the TPMS are dying and the valve stems are cracking.
3) I see rebuilt kits for the TPMS valve stem which is only like $6 each or something.
4) Bring it to the shop, have them take the tire out and check for leaks. I highly doubt there are nails because by now I would of seen them. Nails on all 3 tires seem almost impossible.

Thanks all..........

Old 12-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
How many miles on the tires? Age of tires? Brand?

Old 12-02-2012, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by AARONHL
How many miles on the tires? Age of tires? Brand?
Eagle GT 245/45/18
3 yrs old
16k miles only

Still plenty of thread left. Car is always garage so tires are in good shape and no cracks.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:24 AM
Not sure whats up but yes TPMS are $90 each plus programming. I replaced two TPMS after the metal caps corroded the valves and skipped the reprogramming. Have you put soap around the edge of the wheels to check the seal?

Old 12-02-2012, 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by AARONHL
Not sure whats up but yes TPMS are $90 each plus programming. I replaced two TPMS after the metal caps corroded the valves and skipped the reprogramming. Have you put soap around the edge of the wheels to check the seal?
So you bought the OEM ones? Without programming do you have the "low psi" lid up all the time now? If you didn't have it re-program, isn't that the same as getting a $5 plastic valve stem instead of the $90 TPMS?

I didn't see any corrosion on the metal caps. I did soapy water on the side wall but didn't try the edge of the wheels. Good idea, I'll try that but it's hard to imagine 3 out of the 4 tires having bad seal on the edge of the rim area.

So were your tires leaking prior to replacing the TPMS?

The following users liked this post:
home wrecker (01-15-2013)
Old 12-02-2012, 12:04 PM
The light only comes on after driving the car on the highway for over an hour. If I shut the car off then turn it back on it disappears. I think there is a way to reprogram it yourself, but yes without reprogramming you will have to monitor the pressure the "old-fashioned way". The metal stem caps were corroded and lock onto the stem; the only way to take them off was with pliers and when I did the small valve inside snapped and air continued to leak out.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
X
there is a small gasket on the tpms to seal between the wheel and the tpms. If you dont think its your tires, and there is no visible damage to the wheel, this seems like next logical place to check

Old 12-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by ccc123pm
there is a small gasket on the tpms to seal between the wheel and the tpms. If you dont think its your tires, and there is no visible damage to the wheel, this seems like next logical place to check
But that is from the inside of the tire right? I would have to bring it to the shop. I think most likely I would have to bring it but just wanted to see if I should buy the TPMS and just have them swap. I don't want to pay to have them take the wheel off, put it back in and still end up with the same problem the next day.

Anyone ever used a cheaper aftermarket TPMS that works? Or just went with the cheap $5 plastic valve stems and call it a day?

Old 12-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
I haven't had tpms on my car in 4 years. The light comes on after driving about 30 miles then resets when you turn the car on and off again.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my 06 g in July and was lucky enough to get the service records. Since 2006 this car had been in the shop 4 times with tpms problems. I've already brought it in once 2 months ago and now I have another tpms problem. I don't know if this is a common thing with this car or what.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Before replacing the sensors, look into the rebuild kits which replace the rubber sealing components of the TPMS sensor preventing leaks. usually, when you get new tires on, you are offered this service.

Losing 7psi a week is a LOT to not notice air bubbles. The soapy water trick is usually foolproof. I'd really consider searching the tire again. I'd fill the tire up to the MAX psi on the sidewall and just go to town with soapy water everywhere. On the beads, everywhere on the tread, take the valve stem cover off and spray inside.

You should see bubbles somewhere.

Might be easier to remove the tire and search. Might have a small nail or glass slice on the inside part you can't see.

If could be the TPMS sensors too. Could always try the rebuild on 1 tire and see if that works

Old 12-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
FYI, the TPMS unit can be replaced with a generic unit (
http://www.amazon.com/Schrader-20161-Sensor-Nissan-1-pack/dp/B002GYSR9E http://www.amazon.com/Schrader-20161-Sensor-Nissan-1-pack/dp/B002GYSR9E

I replaced all of mine a year ago after the batteries started to die in them. My dealership reprogrammed them for free.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Before you go out and spend $$ try a little common sense, find out where the leaks are! Goodyear's are famous for having cracks on the inside, happened to me last time I owned a set. Go to your favorite tire shop and have them dunk your tires to locate the leaks, it unlikely all 3 sensors would go bad at the same time!
Gary

Old 12-03-2012, 12:24 PM
I'm going to give the OP some credibility.
I've had the same issue on a brand new tire for quite a few thousand miles now.
I've asked dealerships and tire shops to check for a leak and they can't find one.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
Could be a few things. First thing I'd try is to just hit up the entire wheel and tire combo with soapy water again to confirm where the leak is coming from. 7psi a week is something to be concerned with so that is an easy step to do that won't cost you an extra money. You might have some dirt or something along the bead/seat, so it's not really holding air like it should.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Slow tire leaks on 3 tires....ARGH!!!!!!!