G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Help! No start no crank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! No start no crank

Hey guys I need help... My car wont start. When I turn the key the car clicks from the engine, it could be the starter but it doesnt crank. When I jump the battery it cranks over. Here is what i have done so far:

1) I removed the battery and it test GOOD at Autozone.
2) I removed the starter and it tested GOOD at Autozone
3) All fuses has been checked (Engine/Interior)

I charged the battery over and over again. The lights are nice and bright... I am lost right now. Could it be the IPDM? There was no water when I removed the cover.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like you got a bad battery connection check your hot and ground wire make sure you can't move them by hand.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:14 PM
I removed the battery and tighten the terminals over. The grounding looks and feel solid.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
I had a car that wouldn't start so I took the battery to autozone for testing; it checked out fine. They offered to charge it (about 20 minutes) When they charged it was when they found it had bad cells and replaced it. Go back and see if they will try charging it to confirm it is good.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Are they load testing the battery?

So if you jump start the car, and let it run, does it start again later or die?

With the car running, put a multimeter on the battery. Do you have 14V?

Old 12-04-2012, 12:43 PM
They used the load tester when i brought the batter in and checked out "GOOD". Good idea about the multimeter. I will try that tonight.

I might just buy a battery just to check it out... Does anyone think it might be the Crank Sensor but then again i don't get any codes...

Old 12-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Definately not the IPDM or other sensor issues.

Like "Mustang" suggested check with multimeter, first check battery voltage with car off than check voltage again when car running. If not producing > 13.5 volts than alternator/voltage regulator is going bad.

When alternator output decreases this causes the starter to draw more amps which leads to premature starter failure and shortens life of battery.

General scenario: problem starting car, charge/replace battery. Next after battery replaced the starter goes bad, replace starter and eventually car still has problem starting than end up replacing alternator when it was the defective part causing the other issues.

If the OEM battery is >5 years old or recently a severe change in weather cold-hot or hot-cold, moved from 1 geographical area IE up North to South these will also cause battery failures. Battery's are built for geographical area climates.

I was a part time mechanic in Upstate NY and first cold snap of season would replace car battery's all day.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Thanks HotRodG35. It would be a relief if it is not the IPDM. I will check the battery and see how that goes tonight. It sounds logical what you mentioned about the alternator.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:36 PM
So i replaced the battery tonight and I still have the same symptoms... Anyone know what the clicking sound coming from? Is it the starter solenoid?

Old 12-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dhwu
So i replaced the battery tonight and I still have the same symptoms... Anyone know what the clicking sound coming from? Is it the starter solenoid?
Assuming you replaced the battery with a brand new one, then it is most likely your starter. Try hitting the starter solenoid with a small hammer a couple times with a little force, but be careful not to damage anything else in the engine bay. If it starts to crank, then your problem is with your starter. If it still doesn't start try using a scanner to get engine codes.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:55 AM
But if you jump start the car, it starts fine?

I wouldn't assume a brand new batt is fully charged. Most often then are, but sometimes you get one that's been sitting around a little too long

Old 12-05-2012, 08:03 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
So if you jump the car it works? Then its the battery or connections to the battery like mustang states, brand new batteries are rarely full charged because they can sit on the shelf for a LONG time.

I had a BROKEN terminal on my old car. Would start when it was jumped because the clamp on the jumper held everything together. But once i hit a pothole car died.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Have the starter check a sign of the starter going out is it can pull more power than normal which most of the time can cause damage to the battery. If you pull it off auto zone can check the starter for you.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Here's what I would do.

Jump start the car and get it running. Put multimeter on the battery and verify 13.5+ Volts at idle. This tells me that the alternator is putting out enough voltage to charge the battery.

Go for a drive, come back and test voltage again with car running. Still 13.5+V? (verify voltage regulator doesn't crap out fromheat)

Shut the car off and leave it overnight. The next morning if you get a click, break out the multimeter again and test battery voltage. Do you have 12+V?

If not, then you have a drain. To troubleshoot this, you need a Multimeter that can measure AMPS in DC current up to 10A. Most can do DC amps, but only to 1A or so. Check Ebay for a meter that can do this. It comes in handy for vehicle troubles such as current drains from shorting wires or broken bulbs.

With the vehicle off, take 1 lead off the battery. Hook the meter up in series. 1 lead to the battery terming post and the other lead to the terminal you took up. You basicall are completing the circuit with the meter in the middle. Chekc how many Amps of DC current you draw with nothing off. It should be under 1A.

If greater than 1A (and i mean 2-3A or more) start pulling fuses out 1 by 1 and see which circuit has the drain on it. Pull the fuse, observe if the drain drops to something much lower. If so, you now know what circuit has the issue. Then we go from there.

Thats assuming it's not a bad starter. If the car cranks when you jump it, but not on the battery (especially if parked overnight) then I really don't think it's a starter.

Next time it goes "click" check the battery voltage. If it's low, you have a drain somewhere

Old 12-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Thanks guys for the advice. The battery was brand new when I replaced it last night. It's a safe assumption that the battery is not the root cause. I have brand new starter that I am going to replace tonight and see that solves the problem.(cross fingers) Like how Mustang added it could be a leak within the circuit. I wish Nissan would sell just the starter relay instead of the full IPMD. I lets you guys know what happens tonight... Lucky I still have my weekend car to get around.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help! No start no crank