G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Bridgestone Turanza EL42 on 05 G35x

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I changed my tires to 235/50/17 Pilot Sport A/S. The Turanza's are junk...

FYI IS YOUR FRIEND!

Old 02-02-2005, 06:49 PM
EL42's rebuttal

Originally Posted by doogie
Admittedly RWD but yes, with VDC on.

However even with twice the number of driving tires I will still never trust my life to these tires again. Both times VDC was on. The first time, and the worst time, I was driving about 60 at nighttime in bad rain. The car started to rotate and that was pretty much the end of the story. VDC had no hope and neither did I, really. Once the tires had lost traction there was nothing I or VDC could do to regain it. We (my wife and I) ended up passing over the median, and about 8 feet away from oncoming traffic, facing the wrong way. After that I realized that driving over about 40 in these tires in the rain was folly. Was kind of embarassing having minivans and dodge neons blasting by me at 60 while I was limited to 40 before I'd start to hydroplane again. What's crazy is while we were spinning and sliding I had lots of time to tell my wife to brace herself for impact, and how etc. The only thing that stopped us I believe is the deep mud in the median. We were on the pavement for a while (prolly about 500 feet) where the tires did nothing for us and then the grass, (probably another 500 feet) obviously no traction there either, but I wouldn't expect that.

The second time wasn't half as bad and VDC did do a little better, I managed to keep the car from completely rotating but we still ended up on grass. That time I was probably going about 30 in the same wet conditions. It wasn't half as bad but at that point I threw in the towel.

I'm not exaggerating, these tires are seriously a recipe for death. I will never ever consider buying a car that comes with these again nor will I allow my friends to buy them.

One thing I did find though is that users of this tire seem to be in two groups, their opinion of the tire being opposite sides of the pole. I noticed there's about 40% with this tire that think it's just swell and they've never had a problem with it. About 60% have a similar opinion to me. look at the ratings on tirerack and you'll see the same. Some raves, many rants. I seriously wonder if there aren't two 'models' of this same tire, one good, one bad. Whatever, I'm still not entertaining taking the 50% gamble.

I'm really not trying to put a spin (no pun intended) on this whole thing but I really am under the opinion that they are the worst tires ever made. They ranked #31 out of 32 tires on tirerack.com, and I think that speaks volumes.

I now own a set of Goodyear F1-GSD3's and they are in a different league. The difference between these tires is absolutely incredible. I feel confident in the wet and dry both now and it honestly feels like I'm driving a different car. They cost me $1000 well before I expected to have to pay that but now I've done it I'd say for the improvement I'd easily pay $2000. My and my family's lives are worth WAY more than that to me.

OK, I have 17" EL42's on my 2004 Sedan with A.T., I always have my VDC on. I live in so Florida and we have our fair share of heavy rain. Plus, having a high water table means even a little rain can flood out certain areas. So, lets talk some turkey and stop resembling them(LOL). If the speed limit says 65, they mean in IDEAL conditions. If it is wet out , you should plan on going slower. If it is pouring, you are more liable to hydroplane so go even slower. Also, it may not be you that is hydroplaning cause you have some other brand super sticky tire. But the car next to you loses it and heads your way, ah, your VDC is off and your goin like 80 cause your car handles!!! SEE YA! LIGHTS OUT! Then, remember, a little water brings road oils to the surface of the road making it easier to loose control while allot of rain may wash it away or spread it around. Ever see those tractor trailers without the trailer attached. The fifth wheel hookup is covered in grease and must be kept that way in order for trailers to turn easily without friction. All that grease washes onto the HWY and roads. So, while there are certainly better tires for bad weather, none stick like crazy glue. Be careful. BTW, I have never had a problem with the EL42's and I do 80 -85 MPH everyday on I95. But I try to be careful when conditions are not optimal.

live and learn... Learn and live.

Last edited by G35sedanman; 02-02-2005 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by G35sedanman
OK, I have 17" EL42's on my 2004 Sedan with A.T., I always have my VDC on. I live in so Florida and we have our fair share of heavy rain. Plus, having a high water table means even a little rain can flood out certain areas. So, lets talk some turkey and stop resembling them(LOL). If the speed limit says 65, they mean in IDEAL conditions. If it is wet out , you should plan on going slower. If it is pouring, you are more liable to hydroplane so go even slower. Also, it may not be you that is hydroplaning cause you have some other brand super sticky tire. But the car next to you loses it and heads your way, ah, your VDC is off and your goin like 80 cause your car handles!!! SEE YA! LIGHTS OUT! Then, remember, a little water brings road oils to the surface of the road making it easier to loose control while allot of rain may wash it away or spread it around. Ever see those tractor trailers without the trailer attached. The fifth wheel hookup is covered in grease and must be kept that way in order for trailers to turn easily without friction. All that grease washes onto the HWY and roads. So, while there are certainly better tires for bad weather, none stick like crazy glue. Be careful. BTW, I have never had a problem with the EL42's and I do 80 -85 MPH everyday on I95. But I try to be careful when conditions are not optimal.

live and learn... Learn and live.

I had the EL42's on my 2003.5 for 32K miles. I drove in all kinds of weather with no traction issues. The problem I had was at 25K the tires felt like I was driving on bricks. I could feel every bump in the road, and the road noise was terrible. I replaced them at 32K; as my radio was cranked up to the max to cover the road noise, and the ride at that point was so bad that I thought someone had stolen the shocks off my car. After relacement, the car was quiet, and smooth.

Old 02-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those tires are garbage. i have them on my car now casue my potenzas suck in the snow and i coudn't afford blizzacks. any time i push my car on a on ramp to a highway the back of my car comes out and i have to slow down. and i have a X. that never happen with my S03s.

Old 02-02-2005, 08:23 PM
My 04 G35X came with the Goodyear Eagle RSAs. I replaced them soon after taking delivery of the car. Tires are among the most highly engineered parts on a car. Maybe the single most technically advanced component. Ask racing car drivers, when they win they almost always give a big credit to the tires. But because they look alike from the outside, there's a tendency to conclude that tires are alike.

I think it is because many consumers aren't terribly discerning that manufactures like Nissan slap on a modest tire, like the Goodyear's that came with my car.

You will enjoy a higher level of performance and a significant margin of additional safety by replacing your OEM equipment. This can not be said for many other upgrades that you'll make to your car. And bang for the buck is excellent.

Old 02-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Hello eveyone. I'm a newbie on this forum, and I find many of these threads very interesting and informative. I just wanted to add my 2 cents to this thread.

I agree with G35sedanman sentiments. We often don't realize how much traction is lost even when the road surface is slightly wet. A modest sprinkle can raise oils to the surface and reduce traction. I know I've caught myself a few times going faster than I should have been going. I sometimes feel that those with AWD, VDC, ABS, etc feel that are immune to the laws of physics and will never loose control. Regardless of the vehicle, its options or tires, driving sensibly in accordance to the conditions is a no brainer. There are limits. I know . . .

As for the tires, I too have the EL42's. Although the tires are 'V' rated and are an A/S compound doesn't mean they will stick like glue all the time. The EL42 tires do appear to perform well, but I see them more as a summer tire. The tread pattern is what makes me feel this way. When I look at them I see alot of rubber contact, but I am concerned about how well they can squeeze and release the water out. In the snow, I would be even more concerned.

Now, to be fair, I have changed to 'W' rated Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. I find the compound and grip of these ties to be much better in dry and wet conditions, and the tread pattern more aggressive. I am quite pleased with them. I haven't ditched the EL42's. I have been considering rotating the set back on during the spring/summer months, then back to the Pilots during fall/winter. I know it's a lot of work to do this, but hopefully, I shouldn't need new tires for a while.

OK! I'll get off the soapbox now and give someone else a turn.

All the best to everyone here !!

Old 02-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by G35/SR71
I had the EL42's on my 2003.5 for 32K miles. I drove in all kinds of weather with no traction issues. The problem I had was at 25K the tires felt like I was driving on bricks. I could feel every bump in the road, and the road noise was terrible. I replaced them at 32K; as my radio was cranked up to the max to cover the road noise, and the ride at that point was so bad that I thought someone had stolen the shocks off my car. After relacement, the car was quiet, and smooth.
I can't argue with your statement. I only have 11500 miles on my EL42's. They are not the most quiet tires to begin with and the hard, less sticky compound is made to last longer than more sticky tires. Can you imagine the complaints on this forum if the tires only lasted as long as the brakes...OMG! We would never stop hearing about it(LOL) That said, we got a lot of car for the price and, the MFRS have to leave somehting for us to "UPGRADE" to. (LOL again) I always appreciate info on good all season or touring tires as my time to replace these tires will come soon enough. Thanks for taking the time to read my post and have a good night.

Old 02-03-2005, 01:19 AM
I've driven about 1000 miles so far in my 2005 G35x with EL42 tires. About half the days have been in the rain. We got a lot of rain this year. I was expecting to hate the tires because of all the reviews that I read saying they were crap.

Well, I'm not nuts about them but I don't find them that bad either. They're definitely not super sticky but they work okay. I'm going to stick with them until they wear out.

To put things in perspective, I drive much more sedate these days, perhaps I'm getting old. However, I do know what better tires feel like. I used to own sportier cars with Bridgestone S-03 and another car with Michelin Pilot summer tires. They were definitely better tires for handling & feel but I'm not skidding around at all in the rain like many others have experienced.

I would say get new tires if you believe your G35x is a sports car. If you think your G35x is a sporty sedan then the EL42 is okay. Use them up and save some money then splurge on a new set.

I haven't tried them in the snow though.

Last edited by LD500; 02-03-2005 at 01:23 AM.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by G35sedanman
So, lets talk some turkey and stop resembling them(LOL). If the speed limit says 65, they mean in IDEAL conditions. If it is wet out , you should plan on going slower. If it is pouring, you are more liable to hydroplane so go even slower. Also, it may not be you that is hydroplaning cause you have some other brand super sticky tire. But the car next to you loses it and heads your way, ah, your VDC is off and your goin like 80 cause your car handles!!! SEE YA! LIGHTS OUT!
Yeah I know how to drive in the rain, I learned to drive in the UK and so trust me I KNOW how to drive in the rain Hell most of my driving time in the UK WAS in the rain The speed limit at the time was 70 and I spun out at 60. I think I mentioned in my post that for the rest of the journey home anything above 40 felt like a nightmare. I think I also mentioned that I lost control at 30 in the wet (again, not pouring AT ALL)

Any way you spin it (again, no pun intended) these tires, IMO, suck. A lot. I've driven many many cars with many many different tires in lots and lots and lots of rain. These tires, in wet conditions, were embarrasingly poor. The worst tires I've ever owned, and I've owned $40 tires before. The example I gave of spinning off the highway was the extreme one. Perhaps I forgot to mention the fact that anytime it would rain, at all - these tires lost traction. They weren't the best in the dry either. The rear end would break loose with the slightest of throttle tickling. With the tires I have now it's like I'm riding a different horse. As I said, a gazillion times better.

Go ahead, drive on 'em. Enjoy them. I've done all I can to warn people against them and tirerack.com reviews and ratings do the rest of the work for me, and I'm only harping on about them because I genuinely feel that these tires are a fatal accident waiting to happen. VDC and AWD are NOT replacements for quality tires, so don't let them give you a false sense of security.

Old 02-03-2005, 07:31 AM
The EL42s are not that great in the snow. I would say marginal. I used to have blizzaks on a CL S and the car was better in the snow when my new x with TLs. Unless I was in snow mode. If you check the tire on tirerack (rating system) you'll see that the tires does not do anything that well.

Old 02-04-2005, 11:35 PM
I hated the EL42s in the rain (Oregon). I did not feel in control at all. Their dry performance is not impressive either. I got rid of them for Pilot A/S around 15000 and the difference is huge. They are not for this car.

Old 02-05-2005, 12:56 AM
Bear with me but I just put Toyo Proxes 4 on my X. I had the Goodyear Eagle RSAs on b4. OMG what a difference with less than 200 miles on the Toyos. For All Seasons this is the tire IMO. I went from the stocks to 245/40/18. Feels a bit slower but the bite is much better especially in turns. More updates to come but thanks to all members who recommended this tire!

Old 02-05-2005, 12:46 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I have EL42s with 23K miles on my 03. The tires still have a ton of tread left which leads me to believe the prior owner wasn't to frisky with the car. I do find the tires a little harsh riding and a bit unsporty looking, but otherwise I've got no compliants. In the 4 weeks of owning the car, I've driven it through rain, sleet, ice, snow, 10 degree weather, and 65 degree weather. I really have no compliants with how these tires handle.

As others were saying, you've got to adjust your driving for conditions. Driving 60mph in standing water (ie over 1/8") is crazy regardless of the tire you have. You've got to be aware of the conditions and adjust accordingly. I don't care what kind of tire you have, when it comes to rain and snow you must become a lot more defensive. I swear some people just expect the impossible out of tires.

I've had all types of tires on my previous cars and I've primarily used Z-rated summer and all weather rubber. There is definitely an increase in dry weahter traction, but traction suffers in temps below 50 degrees and in wet weather.

WIth that said, I don't plan on getting EL42s again. I'll go with a cheaper, better handling, better riding, all seaon Z-rated tire.