G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

grinding/clicking noise from the back left

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grinding/clicking noise from the back left

hey so i have no idea what this could be but my best guess is the brakes is ceased,or the bearing is gone here are the symptoms

i got the car on my ramps to adjust the serpentine belt ( in wich i failed, its still squeaking like a ****) and when i tried to get it off them ramps it was hard to move so i gave it some gas. that's when it started; the grinding/ clicking noise. the tires can move when i try to drive it but if i jack it up it takes abit of force to move it.
my brother told me it might be the back strut that gave out under the weight of the car and now the tire is rubbing(grinding ) and i'm hearing the strut ( clicking). but that doesn't sound right to me . and there's no damage to the tire

so now the car is parked in my drive way with me to scared to move it
do you guys have any idea on what it could be ? any help would be greatly appreciated
if it makes a difference its a 03 with the sport suspension and has 170 000 miles and iv only had the car for about 3 weeks.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
probably a busted bearing. I had the same problem as well. Just drive it slowly to the mechanic.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:37 AM
i had just replace the bearing on the other side a couple days ago. its not the same kind of grinding as the other bearing, so that's why i'm kinda on the fence with that bearing being broken. iv been looking around and doing some more searches about it and from what i can see it looks like the rotors are the problem. one guy said that the're warped so it either hitting something( clicking) and scraping on the pads. she suggested i should change the rotors and the calipers any thoughts on this ?

Old 08-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Take off the brake caliper and try to compress the piston with a c-clamp, if it doesnt compress easily then your caliper is shot.

Then check your ebrake shoes to see if they are not engaged (with or without the ebrake lever up).

Lastly, take your brake rotor off and turn the wheel hub. If you hear any grinding then your bearing is shot.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:20 PM
thank you so much ! ill try all of this tonight after work and ill come back with the results !

Old 08-03-2013, 05:44 PM
So I checked the caliper, rotor, bearing. And nothing they all seem good.
So my question is that do we have a rear ball joint ? I ask this cause I found that if you kick the tires they make a clicking noise
Any thoughts?

Old 08-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
O well, good thing you check those, now you should be able to rule them out.

The rear has a small ball joint on the upper control arm. You may have a torn bushing somewhere.

Did you grease your axles where it meets the hub? People have experienced clicking from it not being greased

Old 08-04-2013, 10:34 AM
ok so i got up this morning and said ill try to drive it around really slow and have someone look and see if they can see whats making the noise. long story short the clicking noise is gone and now there's just a grinding noise ! i don't know if that's a good thing or not .

my next question is is there a way to diagnose if there's a bad ball joint?

Old 08-04-2013, 11:26 AM
https://g35driver.com/forums/body-in...l-removal.html

^ This might be the problem. This should remove the grinding/creaking sound.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:19 PM
the noise is definetly coming from the back wheel. but this might coming in usefull later on, thanks for the link.

i'm basically giving up cause i have no idea what it is. ill call my mechanic Tuesday and see when he can take me. it really sucks cause its gonna cost at least 100$ for him to look at it, then from what i see 100-300 in parts depending what it is, then 3ish hours of labor. plus cause i live in a town were nobody likes imports no one carries parts for them( it took 2 weeks for a bearing) so ill probably only get my car back by next week...

Old 08-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by 5AT-jimmy
the noise is definetly coming from the back wheel. but this might coming in usefull later on, thanks for the link.

i'm basically giving up cause i have no idea what it is. ill call my mechanic Tuesday and see when he can take me. it really sucks cause its gonna cost at least 100$ for him to look at it, then from what i see 100-300 in parts depending what it is, then 3ish hours of labor. plus cause i live in a town were nobody likes imports no one carries parts for them( it took 2 weeks for a bearing) so ill probably only get my car back by next week...
No problem. Good luck dude.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:03 PM
G35X Revup
Maybe you need a new rear strut bushing? The bushing that goes into the knuckle that holds the rear strut. I remember my rear wheel was making clicking noises, or maybe the rear caliper is sticking... That is a common problem..

Old 08-07-2013, 10:53 AM
hey guys just a update on whats going on. the car is now at my mechanic and ill know what he can find. but i looked at everything and couldn't find anything wrong. but i drove it to the mechanic and noticed that what ever it is it messed up my rotors. so im still thinking its the caliper but ill know for sure tonight

Old 08-07-2013, 10:00 PM
the mechanic was unable to find the problem... he took everyting apart a cleaned it and put it together and it works. he said when i brought it in it was grinding then when he drove it it wasn't! so he cleaned everything out and the cars good.
although he did tell me that ALL my control arms are kinda worn out. and then he told me to avoid hitting small animals cause blood in the caliper is hard to clean... Oops

so if you ever get this problem clean every thing and check the control arms !

Old 08-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 5AT-jimmy
the mechanic was unable to find the problem... he took everyting apart a cleaned it and put it together and it works. he said when i brought it in it was grinding then when he drove it it wasn't! so he cleaned everything out and the cars good.
although he did tell me that ALL my control arms are kinda worn out. and then he told me to avoid hitting small animals cause blood in the caliper is hard to clean... Oops

so if you ever get this problem clean every thing and check the control arms !
Dang was hoping you'd find something, have that same clicking problem, was told my pads are low so will be changing those out and see if that does anything.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: grinding/clicking noise from the back left