G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Alternator or battery ????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Alternator or battery ????

I've noticed over the past few weeks that sometimes my 04 G starts perfectly and sometimes it turns over a little slower.

It has the original alternator still with about 114K miles on the car. It has an Autozone battery (second one in the last 2-3 years) I got a new one under warrantly after the last one crapped out. I've had this Duralast battery checked 2-3 times recently and they say it tests "good battery".

Yesterday I drove the car like normal. I filled up with gas then as I get ready to leave the car barely turns over then I get the click click click - I push it across the parking lot to a parking spot and had my wife pick me up. I came back for the car about 8 hours later with jumper cables. I tried to start it just in case and it started right up. I was able to drive it with no problems after that 5 miles home. Turned it off and it started right up. Unfortunately now it's unreliable so something has to get fixed.

Any suggestions ?? Do alternators charges sometimes or only at certain rpm's if they're in the process of going out ? Or is this a weird battery issue ?

Also I notice a rattle noise sometime when the car first starts. Thought maybe that has something to do with a bad alternator ???

thanks

Old 08-15-2013, 06:54 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
click click click and the lights in the dash go out completely?
My fuel gauge used to go back to E also.

If so, its the battery.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Check battery voltage with ignition off should maintain around 12-12.5V.

Start car and check battery voltage, it should be around 13.5 V

If battery voltage low while car running than alternator is probably faulty.

Sometimes what happens is the alternator output starts getting low causing battery(s) to go bad early. After replacing battery(s) the alternator is replaced.

Starter finally goes bad because of starting car numerous times with low battery voltage causing higher current draw on windings/brushes.

The rattling noise on startup is the timing chains, it stops after chain tensioners tighten with oil pressure. You may need to replace chain tensioners if it continues to get worse.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by HotRodG35
Check battery voltage with ignition off should maintain around 12-12.5V.

Start car and check battery voltage, it should be around 13.5 V

If battery voltage low while car running than alternator is probably faulty.

Sometimes what happens is the alternator output starts getting low causing battery(s) to go bad early. After replacing battery(s) the alternator is replaced.

Starter finally goes bad because of starting car numerous times with low battery voltage causing higher current draw on windings/brushes.

The rattling noise on startup is the timing chains, it stops after chain tensioners tighten with oil pressure. You may need to replace chain tensioners if it continues to get worse.
can I tell if its the tensioners by pulling off that inspection plate on the timing chain cover ?

how bad is replacing the tensioners ? would I only replace the tensioners ? seems like the chains themselves would be ok even at 114K miles.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by bigjee
click click click and the lights in the dash go out completely?
My fuel gauge used to go back to E also.

If so, its the battery.
no I don't think everything else went out completely just the click click click

Old 08-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Have the charging system tested.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by 68_GT
can I tell if its the tensioners by pulling off that inspection plate on the timing chain cover ?

how bad is replacing the tensioners ? would I only replace the tensioners ? seems like the chains themselves would be ok even at 114K miles.
Timing chains were designed to last life of engine 275-300K Miles.

Tensioners have been a problem for some. Tensioner for primary chain can be replaced like you mentioned through access cover. Secondary tensioners (camshaft timing chains) require removing TC cover.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by HotRodG35
Timing chains were designed to last life of engine 275-300K Miles.

Tensioners have been a problem for some. Tensioner for primary chain can be replaced like you mentioned through access cover. Secondary tensioners (camshaft timing chains) require removing TC cover.
cool thanks. What problems have they had like the tensioner fails and stops extending outward to put additional tension on the chain ?

hopefully the chain guide on my tensioner is OK. I saw somewhere where the plastic guide on the primary tensioner guide has broken and slide down off the metal support of the guide....

Old 08-17-2013, 10:29 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
this just happened to me yesterday too!!!!!!
im buying a new battery today.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:05 PM
Took my battery off and had it tested that still say it's good. Then they tested the battery while in the car running anf say my alternator and battery is good.

I'm at a loss. Guess I'll get a new battery if it happens again. Hoping it was a bad connection at my battery for now..............

Old 08-18-2013, 09:28 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
I had a battery in my old odyssey that tested good at autozone. They then tried to charge it and it faultered. Have them try to charge it and see what happens.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:43 AM
You might have a drain.

Do you have a digital volt meter capable ot measuring DC amps up to 10A? If so, you can unhook one lead and hook the meter in series and see how many amps the vehicle draws at rest. It should be 1 A or less. Sometimes there is a short or corrosion and you can see draws of 2-5A at rest and this will cause sluggish starts or drain the battery over time causing you to have to jump start it

Old 08-19-2013, 08:06 PM
I'll check on the battery drain.

Also I noticed today my water level in the batter was about half way up, so I fulled it up with some distilled water. I think I overfilled some now I need to go pull some out I guess to avoid it overflowing ??

wonder if the battery water level has anything to do with the battery performance like this ??

Old 08-19-2013, 08:13 PM
Def possible.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 68_GT
I've noticed over the past few weeks that sometimes my 04 G starts perfectly and sometimes it turns over a little slower.

It has the original alternator still with about 114K miles on the car. It has an Autozone battery (second one in the last 2-3 years) I got a new one under warrantly after the last one crapped out. I've had this Duralast battery checked 2-3 times recently and they say it tests "good battery".

Yesterday I drove the car like normal. I filled up with gas then as I get ready to leave the car barely turns over then I get the click click click - I push it across the parking lot to a parking spot and had my wife pick me up. I came back for the car about 8 hours later with jumper cables. I tried to start it just in case and it started right up. I was able to drive it with no problems after that 5 miles home. Turned it off and it started right up. Unfortunately now it's unreliable so something has to get fixed.

Any suggestions ?? Do alternators charges sometimes or only at certain rpm's if they're in the process of going out ? Or is this a weird battery issue ?

Also I notice a rattle noise sometime when the car first starts. Thought maybe that has something to do with a bad alternator ???

thanks
I think it's your starter going out slowly. If your alternator is charging correctly and the battery is fine, then the obvious culprit is the starter. Do you still have the OEM starter? Mine went bad at around 85K.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Alternator or battery ????