G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Easy and cheap way to remove the haze on the headlight covers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
I think the degree of difficultly and level of abrasive compound needed accelerates the longer you allow them to haze over and become more yellow. I have always used wax (bi-weekly, whatever I have at the time) and after 10 years, mine still look about 90% as good as they did when the car is new. If I wait more than 2 weeks, the hazing starts to get pretty bad.
Sounds like the hazing is there now, and the wax just "fills in" the areas around it and makes it look better.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:34 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by AzWildcatG
I have one new headlight (plus front nose and driver fender) after hitting a coyote on the FW. Of course there is a difference in clarity and slightly in look after I polish the original headlight. Polishing does not last long before hazing starts in.

Tell me how long your UV protectant brew lasts before you need to reapply and what product you purchase plus where you purchase it? Thank you.

Mineral spirits and Helsman Spar urethane lacquer are both available from a home improvement/hardware store such as Home Depot or Lowes. It'll run you around $20, but provides you with enough material to do many many many headlights.

I did a set on a S2000 about a year ago and it's still holding up. Other users are reporting that it lasts over 2 years.

Some other people have also tried using a sealant such as Opti-Coat, but have reported that the clarity is not as good. It's also quite a bit more expensive.

I did this Corolla a few months ago, still looks good.

The following users liked this post:
AzWildcatG (08-29-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 05:34 AM
Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by KingoftheRoad1
I never mentioned Turtle Wax. I stated "Turtle heavy duty rubbing compound". The only reason that I started this thread is to inform the members that there is a much easier and cheaper alternative than using the "special lens cleaner" which sells anywhere from $15 and up. The rubbing compound is less than $3. After cleaning, I still have about 95% left. These so called "special cleaners" are nothing but rubbing compound, dressed up in a better packaging and sell for $15 and up! But again, people who are willing to spend more money than necessary is their choice.
Well if you want cheap, than I'd suggest going to the dollar store and picking up some non gel tooth paste. 2 tubes for $1 and most Buck or Two stores. Does the same thing as everything else that has been mentioned in this thread.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:17 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I use 3M plastic polish. There is a cleaner and a polish.

I also run over the headlights with my buffer and Maguires cleaner wax, or Maguires Carnuba wax they all provide similar results. Something / anything is better than nothing.

I like the idea of using this ....Mineral spirits and Helsman Spar urethane lacquer

I do mine every other month or so. Monthly would be better though.